Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Afternoon at the beach to 'Soak Up the Sun' [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

The day had been perfect for some sketching at the beach where the men were mending their nets.  Douglas enjoyed visiting with the people there.  They were down to earth and once they got to know him over the last several months, they had become quite an at ease with him.  Though, once it had gone around his title there had been a bit of a few stiffnesses around him. 

When he was painting or out among the more common areas, he had gotten there with common clothing, neater and better quality material, but like their styles of clothing.  Douglas had worked with his own people back home just as hard or harder than they did around the properties to show that he was worth their loyalty.  So, around the people here, he acted naturally and never asks any special treatment toward him.  Most of those he had come closest to called him by his first name or just using his last name, Gordon.  No title was needed among these folks.  Some still used it quite formally as it just did not feel right to them, but Douglas didn't mind that either.

Today was no different than any other day.  Dark denim pants, rugged shoes, a loose shirt, and a light-dark open jacket of a hardy material.  He had not brought a hat, as it was windy and he didn't want to worry about it.  So, his hair was wavy and all awry from the wind.  Not that he worried about that either. 

He had come with his sketchbook, and many charcoal pencils in his pockets, some hard candy for the kids that might come by, and some tobacco he had sent from home for one of the men he usually saw down there near the boats.  He visited over the recent news in town with the men after handing over the tobacco and laughing along with the men over some event.  Then after about half an hour of visiting, he nodded to the men.

"I will be daein' some drawing.  Let me knae what yu think of the tobacco next time, aye?"  They nodded continuing with their own tasks.

Douglas moved on along the beach and looked around to see what might catch his attention that particular afternoon.  He had eaten a light lunch before coming but also had a snack in one of his pockets for later.  He never knew how long he would be out.  Catching sight of an older man with a little boy and their fishing poles.  He smiled.  There, that was his first sketch.  He found a large section of drift wood and sat down pulling out the charcoal pencil and opened his sketchbook to an empty page and began to draw.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'11"

There was a lot going on in the Carrington Estate, and while Darius perhaps should have stayed to focus on the important things when he heard about a famous artist in town, it was the perfect excuse to escape to walk around. It only took a little asking around and throwing out a few small coins before he found himself at the beach.

While walking around and avoiding the fishermen, he took note of a man who didn't belong. He was dressed like the others but instead of busying himself with a hard day's work, the tall man was busy working on art. A small tremor of excitement raced up his spine at the idea of speaking to THE Douglas Gordon. Was it ridiculous he brought a small sample of his work for the man to look at? Darius was too unaware to be sure. So he gripped his small satchel and walked towards the man, trying to act casual.

He might have had looks from the others around as he was not among the workers there. He was dressed like Darius always dressed. Nicer clothes but worn shabbily with an air of not caring about his looks. Before getting too close, the realization of his appearance hit him. The man smoothed out any wrinkles and made sure his collar was pulled up and pressed nicely. He brushed back his long hair with his fingers and then looked down once more to make sure he was at least somewhat suitable.

Finally, he stepped up behind the man, unable to resist seeing what he was working on. He cleared his throat as his nerves caught him and it turned into a real coughing fit. Once he managed to overcome it, he straightened up and looked towards the guy who might have been a giant. "Ah.. are you.. by any chance.. Mister Gordon, the esteemed painter?"

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas had been focusing on the scene he was sketching, though with what was going on with Pippa he should have kept a bit more alert.  If someone that was looking for the young woman had realized it was his servants that were watching over her protection, then the man could go after him as well to distract them from their protection on Pippa.  So, when he heard the cough behind him he jumped a bit and turned ready for anything.

Once he realized it was not someone that looked to be a danger, Douglas went back to his typical easy manner.  After the man's cough was calmed, and the man asked, Douglas, smiled.  Hearing someone using a common "Mister" rather than "Earl", and the use of the description of "esteemed painter", he deduced that this one was an artist or art lover.  So, either the person had not looked into his history to know his rank or knew enough about him to respect that when painting he prefers to be just Douglas, common man.  He had quite a few that were fans of his work.  Some even had made a point of finding out where he might be next.  Thus, he had picked Whitby out of common areas.  Though someone always found it out after a while.

"I am Douglas Gordon, though the rest is not necessary."  He teased with a smile.  He was casual and confident in himself in how he moved and talked.  He didn't care so much about the social proper conversation.  He was just himself and could be somewhat cutting when someone got to above themselves with him or other people.  Of course, his rank alone would give him that ability, but even in the art world society, he had a status that gave his actions and speaking a large leeway to others it might not. 

He raised a curious brow, "And who may I be speaking to?"
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius looked up at the man, ecstatic to be in his presence and speaking almost casually! He blinked and in his surprise that he so rudely forgot to introduce himself, he reached forward to offer a hand to shake. His other hand almost dropped his satchel but he managed to clutch it tight and only slightly doubled over.

"Ah! DARIUS! I ..mean.. Darius Carrington.. from the Carrington estate.." he gestured slightly towards the direction he'd come from.

He nervously brushed back his hair from his eyes as he attempted a relaxed smile but the nerves caught it at the corners and made the smile forced. "I just heard you were here.. I am a fan. And..an artist myself! Though I've not done any shows yet. I hope I am not disturbing you.." he said and then feared he'd been talking too much. He already said more to this stranger than he had to any of his brothers in the entire year thus far, he was certain.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas didn't show any kind of amusement to how the man had introduced himself.  He had gotten that kind of reaction from time to time.  He put his charcoal to his other hand with his sketchbook and shook the man's hand.  The name he was familiar with from having stayed there in Whitby for several months.

Another artist wanted to show him his work.  The Earl had seen quite a few.  Most were not worth the paper they were on let alone canvas, but he liked to encourage the budding artists where he could.  If this artist was talking about a show, though he hadn't done any yet, meant he had thought about it.  Either someone else had suggested it or he had thought his work was good enough to consider it.  It made Douglas curious.  Seeing the satchel, he figured the man had brought some along.  Why else would someone bring a satchel out to the beach?  He figured.  He had gotten pretty well at reading people that found him.

"Not at all.  Just doing some sketching to get ideas for more paintings."  He indicated the large driftwood log that he had been sitting on.  "Please join me."  He sat back down himself not waiting to see if he joined or not.  "What kind of pieces do you do?"
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius shook his hand a touch too enthusiastically, as if he wanted to free it from his arm but contained himself before actually possibly hurting the other man.

He listened and became even more curious that the great artist was sketching here for ideas for his paintings. The, now oldest, Carrington son immediately took the offered seat and looked in the direction Douglas had been to look at the subjects before him once more.

"Ah! Character work..mostly. I like live models." He only gave a half smile as if hoping that was the right answer or at least a good one. "Ah.. I can show you a little.. but ...um. I do experiment a lot with my..work." he pulled out a roll of papers and the wind from the beach threatened to take one. He wasn't about to let a piece get away, lest it be the key to getting any compliment from the other man.

He dove for the sheet of paper, hoping to pluck it from the air before fully leaving the log and crashed face first into the sand. His arm stretched triumphantly to show the paper in his grasp but then he gave a horrified gasp as he'd crushed it in his enthusiasm and fell upon the rest of the work in his other arm. He looked positively devastated and worked to try unsuccessfully to straighten it out.

The papers were now creased or crumbled and had sand, but the images were clear. He had a sketch of a beautiful woman looking to the side and she appeared topless but her hair was falling to block the view but the sketch ended before it could reveal anyway. Most of the others were a collection of men looking fast asleep. His final couple were a poor maid and butler obviously having been begged and paid extra to sit and stand to pose for the picture but didn't bother to look happy about it.

He sketches captured the subjects ' likeness very well but there was an exaggeration in shadowing and lighting. It wasn't clear based on the small sampling if he just did it for dramatics or it was something that helped when he'd transferred his images to canvas.

"They aren't much. I ...don't have an easy time getting models ." He laughed slightly as if it were a joke but he knew it wasn't very funny at all.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Listening to the type of images he liked to draw/paint, Douglas was impressed.  "Live models are the best tae me as well.  I enjoy real-life scenes.  Like that there with the auld man 'elping the young lad learning tae use the fishing pole. Circle of life type of thing.  Things that relax me.  A sudden image of a man or woman catches me as well.  My fingers itch tae be drawing or painting it across a canvas."  He continued.  "Aye, I'd like tae see some of yur work."

Douglas reached out to try and help Darius from falling but missed his arm and down the man went.  He winced.  "Are yu alright, lad?"  He asked putting his own sketchbook to the side.  It had a heavy outside and the pages inside were attached inside it.  So, it was not going to blow away unless it got a lot windier out there.  Which it could but unlikely that particular day.  For paper and the hair, though that was another subject.

Douglas took his time looking at each image Darius shared with him.  His eyes focused in on the details and the emotion each one gave him and considered it with a serious expression.  At first, it would not say anything about his opinions, as art was very serious to him.  It might seem unliking as he turned from image to image.  Then looking up at him, he nodded.  "Dae yu 'ave any training or was this just what yu 'ave done with what yu 'ave for the fun?" 

Again, not any kind of positive or negative.  He was though interested in Darius' answer.  He was not taking his work lightly.  He did not make light of anyone's attempts be it good or not so good.  In this case, there was no indication of what he was thinking, however.  Not yet.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius waved towards Douglas when he'd sat back down. "Totally fine!" He smiled though it fell as the other looked over his art. He became restless with anxiety over what he'd say. When the man did speak, he rubbed his cheek shyly.

"Well, I mean... I did have a tutor when I was younger for a short time. It was sort of a reward for when I focused on my 'real studies'..." he said quietly. He worried the man would tell him he'd expect better if the man had gotten professional teaching. It had certainly helped but it wasn't exactly a long term in depth study like he had always wanted.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas looked over the images again and nodded.  "Most need professional training tae get tae this kind of ability.  Yu 'ave a good eye and a bonnie way tae show it on the paper.  I am impressed.  'ave yu done many on canvas?  I would like tae see them some time if yu 'ave.  This is quite well done."  He indicated a few of the specific areas on different pages that he really liked and said why.  Then on one, he indicated a place that he suggested a different technique to bring it more detailing.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius hung onto every word as he nodded in agreement. "Oh yes, yes. Thank you, it is such a passion that I've mostly developed on my own." He agreed to all of the advice as he looked at the pieces. "I can see that! Certainly, this is why you are the famous artist."

He smiled huge and looked towards him. "Oh, yes I would love to show you my painted work. Please come by one day, you've heard of the Carrington Manor? If not, I can easily point it out." While any local would know, this was a great artist who was just visiting the area so he couldn't assume he'd know.