Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Attempted Ambush [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

The weather was pleasant and Douglas had arranged to visit with one of the locals about the history of the ruins he had been painting at the library.  It had, however, also gotten spread around that he spent time there and some had been familiar with who he was.  So, as he visited at a small table over in a corner looking at books opened around between the two men, various people, mostly females trying to be seen or just to see him.  Douglas had learned to ignore it much to the wandering female annoyance. 

One or two had been brave enough to stop at the table and pause expecting a polite greeting from the artist.  Some had been brave enough to pause at the table and made a greeting for the local man.  He was in his late 60s and part of the upper social population of Whitby.  He too saw what the ploys were for what they were.  He had found it amusing, and did introduce the Earl to the first few, but after that, he merely greeted politely and went on with the conversation with Douglas.  They had been there about two hours and were still enjoying the visit as Douglas asked questions about the history of the ruins and various other buildings and areas of the town.

Some ladies were chatting outside the library after their failing attempts at engaging the Douglas in conversation.  One lady was the mother of two young eligible daughters and the other had a daughter between the age of the other two.  "I've been able to visit one of his shows in London.  I've heard that even one of the royals has asked him to do a portrait of the couple.  But I have heard he is quite crude in his behavior."

"From what we saw here, I would say so.  But he is Scottish, they are barbarians.  But with the right wife, he could be taught to behave properly, I would think.  Just think of it, an Earl in the family?  It would be quite an accomplishment."

"And he is easy on the eyes."  The other woman responded.  "But he would want the wife to live with him back in Scotland.  So far away and so rough living there."

"With the right wife pulling him in the right way, perhaps he could be talked into living in London?" 

"He doesn't seem to be one that could be persuaded to what he is not happy about doing."

A younger woman, the eldest of the woman with two daughters, steps in to join in the conversation.  Her eyes with the look of someone that could be determined and was known to push people into her way.  "Mama, you know all it would take is making sure he adores me and I'll have it all seen to as it should."

The woman with one daughter gave the other girl a look, and obviously was thinking of how to make sure it was her own daughter that met the Earl and had the first chance at the man's heart.  "I think it is time we had a party at our house.  We can't have an Earl in town and think we are as backward as the backwood highlands of Scotland."

The other ladies nodded.  The woman with the single daughter was the richer of the group there, and having her take the cost of it was not a problem to them.  The mothers both figuring they could arrange their daughters meet the Earl and capture his heart.

Inside the library, the men were about to finish their conversation.  Douglas was making notes as the other man was pointing to a drawing in one of the books.

327 Posts
9 Threads

Pronouns: She, her
Height: 5'4"

So much for a quiet place, she thought as she continued to skulk in the corner with a heavy book in her arms. The young miss looked around, taking note of all of these young ladies and their mamas and papas, vying for the attention of a particular man it seemed. Curiosity got the best of her.

She craned her neck to get a look at the man who was causing such hubbub in a library. Surprise filled her at the sight of a rather handsome gentleman who seemed to be… not quite interested in all the young ladies who were eagerly trying to get his attention. She shook her head. The American girl curled her lip a little in disgust when she overheard one comment in particular about the man’s heritage. Just because he was a Scot, did not mean he was a barbarian!

At least… he didn’t look like a barbarian to her.

Pippa found herself backing away from the crowd and then turning her back on them, hugging the book to her chest.

The young American woman was a beauty, but she seemed to lack the sophisticated clothing of those around her now. Her gown had once been the envy of her classmates, it was now dingy with age, and her shoes were starting to feel particularly breezy. Pippa had been something before, but with the death of her family and the remainder of her funds being frozen in the bank, she was left with whatever she had on her back and a carpet bag filled with few personal things.

These young ladies had everything and she no longer did. It was a bitter medicine to swallow. The girl bowed her head forward and was intent on backing away, so much so that she stepped on the hem of one young lady’s gown and caused a scene.

“Look at what you did to my gown, you little wretch!” cried the lass whose gown just got dirtied.

“S-sorry!” she said.

142 Posts
6 Threads

Height: 5'4

Did British people not understand the notion of a library? A place were people came to read books? In si-lence? Nesah had just entered the library, and stood close to the entrance, holding a book, and looking around confused and irritated. There was a group of older and younger ladies who stood whispering and pointing at other people talking. Then she caught sight of the object the women's frenzied chatter.

Oh for the love of...

She rolled her eyes. What was so special about him anyway? A painter with moderate fame, probably exaggerated by himself, and a decent purse. Not unappealing, but were better catches, surely. What was this ridiculous fuss about, and more importantly: why did it have to turn a quiet library into some rowdy club hall?

As she passed some of the ladies, she caught some of the conversation. An earl, was he? She didn't know exactly what the word meant, but she figured it referred to the aristocracy. It was a title they were after, then. That didn't surprise her. If women understood themselves as no more than ornaments, they wanted to be special ornaments at least, better than the others. Nesah looked around. Pretty ornaments they would be, she had to admit, with their gracious forms, accentuated by fashionable dresses, and well-cared-for skin. Pretty faces. But with heads full of air, that much was clear to her. Most men didn't care though. Sometimes Nesah wasn't sure which of the sexes she hated more.

Was the painter easy on the eyes? Nesah looked over at him. She hadn't noticed. But she was usually oblivious to these things. Whatever he was, the fuss about him annoyed her.

She found a spot as far away from the noise as possible and sat down, opening the book she had picked up from the 'hold' stack at the entrance. But her eyes caught another young lady, not as well dressed as the others, but with a gracious form and a prettier face. She seemed to back away from the others. Nesah wondered if she too was repulsed by the superficial scene and her eyes followed the girl with eager interest. And then the girl bumped into someone and a brawl seemed inevitable. Perhaps if she had been at home, Nesah would have stepped up and helped the girl. Perhaps. But she was a foreigner. She wasn't going to stick her neck out. Cultural differences and all that. And so instead, she closed her book and prepared herself to watch women fight, with voyeuristic eagerness.

280 Posts
8 Threads

"I appreciate yur time here, Mr. Thomson.  I know yu 'ad another meeting," He pulled up his timepiece from his pocket and takes a look at it with a frown.  "I'm afraid I 'ave made yu late."

"It is not a problem my lord.  I have enjoyed sharing the history of our community and town with you.  There is much more, I can send a message to reschedule the meeting."  He offered.

"Nae, I want tae review this and walk arood the areas we 'ave been talking aboot.  Though, I woold like tae meet with yu again aboot more..."  He glanced around with annoyance at the various people that had 'happenedly' come by the library and their table specifically while the two men had chatted.

The older man chuckled.  "Quiet?  I understand.  Perhaps my study, next time?  I can arrange to have the books, images, and maps, that I referred to earlier to be brought over."  He suggested.  "It was to be expected when it was found out you were here.  If not your skill then the idea of a bachelor of your rank would bring the young and not so young ladies."  He chuckled glancing around.

Douglas nodded with a smile.  "That would be perfect.  Perhaps next Tuesday?"  He asked with a raised brow.  "I tried to keep it quiet as long as I could, I dinna guess it would have been tae much longer to avoid them."  He would call them vultures if he were more irritated, but he had enjoyed the visit with Mr. Thomas and was so far in a good mood.

"That would be perfect.  Tea time?  I can arrange for the cook to set it up for us."  The older man replied as he got up and started gathering the books to put back on the appropriate shelves.  "You will likely expect at least two invites to a party or large dinner event.  I saw two of the wives of some of our local social butterflies with available daughters chatting over on the other side of the library."

"I will look forward to it."  He got up and helped gathering the books.  He did not consider himself beyond helping with the task. "I dinna mind one or two.  But I dinna plan tae spend my time 'ere with social gatherings.  I am 'ere tae paint and draw."

Mr. Thomas gave an understanding look and took a set of maps out of the area to put them away.

About then Douglas glanced overhearing the irritated loud voice of one woman to see what was the problem.  So far, it had not been overly loud, just a lot of low chattering, and too many people coming over to "visit" with Mr. Thomas and "meet" his companion.  The loud voice though had been close enough catch Douglas's attention.  He frowned and with the last couple of books closed and set up neatly for Mr. Thomas, he handed them over to the older man. 

"I think I 'ave caused enough trouble tae those that are actually 'ere tae read or study for the time being.  I look forward tae seeing you next Tuesday."  Mr. Thomas shrugged taking the books.

"A little bit of excitement from time to time keeps things interesting."  He chuckled.  But then looking at the problem brewing, he sighed.  "We have some lovely people here, my lord.  Don't think us less for a few that are not."  He requested with a quiet tone as he headed off to take the books back to where they belonged.

Douglas gave a brief nod of agreement with the sentiment.  He about then caught sight of a familiar face and gave a curse under his breath.  He had been enjoying his visits with Nesah just as a man talking with another person that didn't know his rank.  Well, he was going to be outed at some point, he figured.   He walked on over to where the spat seemed to be about to grow, not sure what was going on, but more looked as he was heading to the exit of the library.

327 Posts
9 Threads

"I didn't mean to soil your gown," she said to the girl in question. She darted away from the seemingly restless mass of women and went to find a quiet corner again, not realizing she was being followed. The next thing she knew, she was jerked back with a choking gasp as the frayed ribbon of her cloak dug into her pale throat. Thud.

She hit the floor and the indignant young woman leered down at her. Then she put her nose in the air like Pippa had been so offensive, and walked off to be in the group she came from.

Pippa scrambled to her feet, grabbing the book that was dropped on it's pages, and lamented the bent pages.

142 Posts
6 Threads

Nesah's amusement turned to irritation rather quickly when the apparent fight turned into attacking someone from behind. That was low. Still, she did not intervene until the rich but poorly-bred young lady worked away. Hell, she wasn't going to get herself dirty.

Once the cost was clear, however, she walked over to the girl who had been attacked. Nesah had wanted to help her up, but the girl was already on her feet, apparently more worried about the injuries done to the book than to herself. "Are you alright, Miss?" Nesah asked.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas walked toward where the woman had pushed the other woman.  The uppity woman thought he was coming to visit with her.  He gave the woman a look as if she were something dirty as he got closer.   A very clear insult aimed at the uppity woman.  He went on past her and saw Nesah with the other woman.  He stood back, just to be there if needed.

327 Posts
9 Threads

"I'm alright," she said softly, "Thank you." She had a refined sounding voice that labeled her as educated despite the worn look of her clothing. Then she noticed the way the nobleman seemed to snub the young miss who had attacked her person. Pippa touched her throat with her free hand. There was a welt from the ribbon across the white skin there, but she didn't seem hurt otherwise. "I... I should put this book back." And then flee, she thought, thoroughly chagrined by the event. She clutched the book to her chest and lowered her eyes, her cheeks red. "Thank you..."

142 Posts
6 Threads

Nesah didn't notice Douglas, since she was looking at the young lady. She frowned at the bruising. "That does not look good," she commented in her foreign accent. "Here," she stretched out her hands to take the book from the girl. "I'll put that back for you, if you tell me where you got it from. Sit down. Are you here with someone?"

327 Posts
9 Threads

At least someone cared. It was more than she had seen in a while. She had felt invisible since losing her family. Her eyes reflected the darkness that one would easily be able to see. She turned her head and said, "Why are they all here anyways?" Indicating all the fluffy looking females that milled about the library. Pippa sit down, nevertheless, and she pointed slowly to the corner where she had been hiding with the book, mumbling softly, "I got it from there. I..." How did she tell someone that she was completely and utterly alone in the world after losing her family to death. "There is nobody."