Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Sanctuary [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

306 Posts
13 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'5"

"Alright," she said. She gave another glance to the sleeping man, curious and wanting to help but knowing she couldn't at the moment. Besides, she was just... so very tired. She needed to get home before the babe arrived.

312 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'1"

The only spare bed was in the guest quarters which were well appointed with a soft canopy bed for her to slumber on. She was left undisturbed until morning when she found the son shining and the younger maid having just arrived to wake her for breakfast.

"Good morning Miss." She greets and then pauses. "You know, we never got your name. So much hubbub last night."

306 Posts
13 Threads

She didn't want to wake up. The bed was the most comfortable that she had ever slept on. It was with great reluctance that she opened her eyes at all. "Tis Ruth... Ruth Blacke." She had gone back to her maiden name, though her name was legally different. She didn't want to be associated with her husband anymore, the wretch.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Nice to meet you Ruth, I'm Betsy." She says as she offers the other woman a hand getting out of the bed. Once Ruth is on her feet Betsy gestures towards a nearby chair. "There are your clothes all nice and dry for you, get yourself dressed and we will see you to the kitchens for something to eat."

306 Posts
13 Threads

"Thank ye..." she said as she began to dress herself. She didn't want to leave, it was nicer here than she had ever experienced. She had not had maids fussing over her before. She almost said it out loud but she knew she must leave. "Did ye get up me bags from the stoop? I have ta carry em home." She hated the fact she was going home.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Aye, they are sitting in the entry hall."

The maid says with a smile.

"Come now, let's get something to eat into you. Your eating for two and you went to bed with naught but broth in your belly, I am sure you are starving."

She leads Ruth towards the kitchen but along the way, the man from last night rounds the corner. He was looking... slightly better. The bags that had been under his eyes were done so he'd probably slept through the night. Though he still looked gaunt, pale, and tired. He pauses and blinks in surprise when he sees Ruth.

"Betsy."

He says addressing the maid.

"There appears to be a pregnant woman next to you, we don't have any pregnant women on staff, do we? I feel I would have noticed that."

Betsy shakes her head and says.

"Miss Lane told you about her last night, she's the woman who got stranded in the rain and needed to warm up by your fire. Dreadful business, her husband left her when he found out she was pregnant."

Edward blinks at this news.

"That is... dreadful." He agrees after some thought looking at Ruth. "Do you have a place to stay? I would not turn out a pregnant woman onto the streets if she has nowhere to go. I believe Ambrose would agree."

His brother would, though not due to altruism. At least, not entirely. He would just be pleased to see his brother taking an interest in something that wasn't one of his chalkboards.

306 Posts
13 Threads

Relief came when the maid explained where her bags were. She followed Betsy along the way and then all of a sudden, there was the curly-haired man. Awake and looking worse for the wear, she thought. He was asking questions about her, and then to her. "I don't rightly know, sir... Me ma and pa won't be pleased when they see me or me giant belly." In fact, she could cry right then and there as she had been doing ever since Phillip left her. That cad.

Her breath hitched as if she were about to let loose, but she seemed to catch herself and stiffen, determined not to make a fool of herself. And then she remembered he was her better, so she dipped a slight curtsy. "I am Ruth, me lord," she said, introducing herself even though she wasn't asked.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"I'm not a lord."

Edward says blinking in surprise at being addressed as such. That much was obvious considering his American accent.

"I am a professor, my brother is the closest thing to a lord but even he is just rich."

He says with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Though, actually, I suppose I am not a professor anymore."

He realizes.

"I am not employed, I suppose I am just a wastrel or the like. Still, my family owns this home so I feel confident in extending you our hospitality if your parents prove unable to help."

306 Posts
13 Threads

"Oh... well, just the same." He was rich and she was as poor as a churchmouse. Her eyes dropped and she sighed. Her back was hurting her and she needed to sit. How was she was going to get home if her back ached? Then she looked up again as he offered sanctuary if her parents didn't. She was sure he didn't need someone like her around to remind him of what he lost even though she considered greatly taking the offer up.

"Thank ye, sir," she said instead.

There was a look of discomfort that crossed her face.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Of course, of course."

Edward says and then he walks past the two women to get back to whatever he'd been doing before running into him. The suddenness and lack of goodbye not, apparently, bothering Betsy in the least.

"He's an odd duck make no mistake."

She says looping her arm through Ruth's.

"Come, we will see you fed and then back on your way my dear."