By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Sanctuary [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Sanctuary [Streets, Yards, and Homes] (/showthread.php?tid=425)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Sanctuary [Streets, Yards, and Homes] - Ruth Blacke - 02-20-2021

The rain was falling down in sheets, down upon the dark head of the very pregnant woman who waddled on down the side of the road. She was cold, her breaths coming out in plumes of vapor between clacking teeth. Her fingers were so numb that she couldn't tell if she was still holding onto the handles of her bags anymore. She had to get out of the rain.

The facade of a building took shape slowly, for it was hard to see with the relentless pelting. Ruth couldn't do it anymore, for she would catch her death if she didn't find shelter. She stumbled toward the door and let her fingers open. The bags fell to the ground and she pressed herself against the portal. Then, with the flat of her hand, she hit the door a few times because making a fist was not happening.

"Hello?" she called... "Somebody... please... anybody," was said in a smaller voice as she pressed her forehead to the wood of the door frame.

RE: Sanctuary - Edward Blackwood - 02-20-2021

Just how the young woman had found herself on the outskirts of Whitby during such a storm was anyone's guess. That she'd further approached the door of the large manor house, that had seen better days but was no under renovations, was also quite the quirk of fate. However, her slapping palm eventually had the desired effect and the door opens. A woman, really more of a girl younger than Ruth by at least a year or two, stares at her.

"Uhm, hello welcome to the Blackwood Manor."

She says sounding a bit uncertain before a more matronly looking in a similar uniform appears behind. "My lord," The woman says and then her voice comes in a crisp authoritative tone. "Felicia, the woman is pregnant and clearly in no fit state to be standing in the rain, let her in and shut that door." So it was that Ruth was allowed in the main entrance the door closing behind her. It was well lit and quite a bit warmer than outside.

"What are you doing here at this hour in this weather girl?"

The head maid inquires as she leads Ruth to a nearby chair. The servants of the manor had been handpicked by Ambrose Blackwood. He'd wanted people with kindly dispositions due to his Brother's... concerning state of mental health. Which was to Ruth's unknowing benefit this evening.

RE: Sanctuary - Ruth Blacke - 02-20-2021

"I w-was on-na-na m-m-me w-w-way h-home w-when th-the rain-na-na came-ma-ma," she said. Hopefully, they would be able to understand what she was trying to say. She sat down gratefully and said a chattering thanks. The bags were left on the stoop, she had completely forgotten about them in her haste to get out of the cold rain. She gazed about tiredly, grateful for the warmth that now came her way.

"You need a fire, make no mistake."

The head maid says and the younger girl frowns.

"The workers are in the kitchen so the fire is out, the only one that is stoked right now is in Master Edward's study."

The head maid frowns at this clearly not pleased by the idea of disturbing the master. However, Ruth's teeth were chattering and who knows what might happen to the babe if they didn't act.

"Go fetch a few wool blankets from the linen closet and meet me at the study, I will talk to the master."

Wrapping an arm around Ruth's shoulder she leads her to a small bed-chamber.

"Stay right here my dear."

The woman totters off returning a few moments later with a towel and a large robe.

"Unfortunately, we don't have anything on hand that will fit you. But we can get you dry and wrapped up in this and lay your clothes by the fire."

She nodded, unable to speak for the chattering was strong. The two women seemed to make a fuss over her, a shock for sure since she wasn't used to such treatment. A little kindness seemed to make her face fall and, if she wasn't already soaked to the bone, one might see a tear or two streaking down her face at said kindness. The world was a man's world, and nobody seemed to take kindly to a woman who had been knocked up and abandoned by her husband.

When she was able to, she murmured a chattering, "Thank you."

"Of course, dear. Now just stay here for a few minutes."

The head maid vanishes and leaves Ruth to towel herself off and get into the robe. Which would help with the cold somewhat though she was still far from warm. After about five minutes the head maid returns.

"I asked the master and he... Well, he didn't say no so just come with me."

Leading Ruth to another room they enter it. There was a cast-iron stove within that was keeping the room warm though it appeared to be using charcoal rather than wood. Still, its warmth was welcome. The room was filled with bookshelves that were maybe an eighth full, not that there weren't enough books to fill them, they were just in boxes. There was a man in the room as well, tall and lean with curly hair. But he doesn't even glance away from some chalkboards he is working at. Ruth's clothing had been laid out before the fire and Ruth herself is wrapped in a woollen blanket and set in a comfortable chair.

"There you are, you need to get warm the chill can't be good for the baby."

She peeled off wet clothes after being left alone, pulling the robe on and sighing as the change was almost immediate. When the maid returned, she was soon lead away and into what looked like a library. Then she was ensconced in a chair, wrapped in blankets and a robe. The shivering soon ebbed away and she sighed at the warmth that went through her.

Her gaze is drawn then to the man who was staring at chalkboards. She watched in some curiosity as the maid continued to fuss over her. Then she looked at the maid and nodded her thanks.

What a fine mess she had made of herself.

The man seems to be utterly and entirely absorbed in his work. He was muttering to himself absently, scratching at the chalkboard every once in a while. Occasionally he would stop moving for a moment and fall into silence but he would then start rub at his eyes and continue.

RE: Sanctuary - Ruth Blacke - 02-21-2021

She continue to watch him until the maid was done fussing over her. He seemed to be off in his own little world. Ruth was quiet for the moment, unsure of what to say. The warmth was already seeping in through the robe, dispelling her chill easily enough. The baby started to move, kicking at her ribs in displeasure of that cold spell, causing her to gasp in a little bit of pain. She pressed her hand to her belly and rubbed, sighing softly. Her attention was drawn again to the curly haired man out of sheer curiosity. If the maid was still there and he hadn't responded to her gasp, she would ask the woman, "Who is that and what is he doing?"

RE: Sanctuary - Edward Blackwood - 02-21-2021

"That's Master Edward." The young made was working on some sewing and sitting next to Ruth. The head maid having left her there to both keep an eye on the woman and to make sure Ruth didn't disturb the master. "He is Master Blackwood's younger brother." She leans in to say softly. "He's a bit touched in the head. Supposed to be brilliant but had a personal tragedy and hasn't been right since. Very sad I'm told very s..."

She lets out a gasp of shock as there is a thud as Edward collapses to the floor. A moment later a snore rising from the man and the maid shakes her head in bewilderment.

"Oh, I've heard about that but I didn't expect to see it."

The maid says getting up and moving to the man. She leverages him off the floor as best she can, dragging him over to a sofa and with a grunt of effort, she manages to get him on it. He stirs enough to help her but is soon motionless again. The maid moving to grab a blanket to lay over him.