Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Life Imitating Art [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

704 Posts
11 Threads

Height: 6'1''

Tristan took different coloured books from the shelves and tried them out in different constellations on his desk, while he listened to Douglas speaking. He was rather pleased to observe the lord looking at the titles in his library and showing such an interest in his work. It made him feel... well... rather smart.

He wanted to explain what had gotten him interested in the mind, but before he could, Douglas drew attention to the covered area of the book case and Tristan found himself blushing. Shit. Why was he blushing? He was probably supposed to say something about it, but how to do so wisely...

"Thank you," he said, trying to sound as neutral as possible. He moved over to that side of the bookcase, to stand next to Douglas. "I study all aspects of the human mind and behaviour, and some areas are not quite proper for polite society. I have a maid who happens to be rather well-educated. I wouldn't want her to stumble upon literature that would be unsuitable for a young lady..." Why. Was. He. Blushing!?

280 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=369
Height: 6'5"

Noticing Tristan blushing, Douglas became more curious.  "I can imagine you have dealt with various aspects of the human mind.  Must be an interesting study of how people get into those 'aspects' of life, whatever those might be, and how to bring them back to a healthy set of mind."

He thought back to some of the darker areas of the cities and towns that he had explored and knew there had been some very odd people out there that likely would end up either dead on the streets or put into insane hospitals.  Then there were some he had met that hid it well, except in those more isolated and private clubs where they could be themselves.  Yes, he had been around such places, when he had been younger and curious enough to try some of those special rooms.  Usually quite drunk at the time, but mostly too young to know how much trouble he could get into.

"It is good of you to put that care in keeping such things out of the maid's way."  He commented.  "Wouldn't be good, even as educated as she might be, if she were to be found fainted or run off having seen something unexpected and unsuitable."  Though if she was as curious as some women he had been around were, he figured if she could open the small doors she would just find out what was being hidden.

704 Posts
11 Threads

"It is. Though sometimes one wonders whether it is not the constraints on society that makes people sick, rather than the human mind," he blurted out before really thinking about it. He bit his tongue. Then he looked around. "Well, speaking of the maid, let me check next door how long before dinner."

He left the room for a moment and checked the dining room, to see whether Pippa was there and whether the food had been delivered.

327 Posts
9 Threads

Pronouns: She, her
Height: 5'4"

She was putting the last touches on the table by the time he came to check on her. The food had literally just arrived moments before. "I was just about to come get you, Dr. Wells," she said, her voice sounding slightly dull at the moment because he seemed to be displeased with her that day. She wrung her hands, thinking that she would have to take her portion elsewhere and be gone from his sight. She was so worried about his irritation that she actually tripped and the plate in her hand went crashing to the floor.
[Image: Pippa1.png]

280 Posts
8 Threads

Douglas thought about that comment and wondered what he meant by that.  Considering they had been talking about those with troubled minds and how they got there.  He had been thinking of the dark places and the people he had met there.  But the man could be talking about the more typical people around that had become unbalanced. 

There were several constraints that he just ignored.  Social rules among those of his rank were a bore in some cases and ridiculous.  He knew that spending as much time as he tended to with common people around various towns, he felt they were more relaxed and at ease with life.   Seeing poorer or more common families and how they interact with each other was healthier than some he had seen at formal tables and in their fancy parlors.  So, he could see some of what he said. 

Still curious himself about the books in that hidden space, he had debating if or if not to peek in just to see, but about then he heard the crash of the plate and followed the direction that he had seen Tristan go. 

"Is someone hurt?" He looked around and saw the plate and gave Pippa a concerned expression.

704 Posts
11 Threads

"Pippa!" Tristan shouted, very irritated now. But he was a doctor, and so he walked over to ascertain she was alright, just at the moment Douglas came to see what was going on. "A dropped plate," he said, trying to not make it sound like the disaster he felt it was. He looked at the young woman. "Are you alright?"

327 Posts
9 Threads

No! She wasn't alright! She was now angry herself. Pippa lifted her chin, indignation clearly written across her face. He had yelled at her. She had never in her life been yelled at, not by her parents, not by the staff. "Yes sir," she said stiffly, a warning spark in her eyes as she looked at him. Her lips trembled only slightly. She then jerkily started to clean the plate up, wanting nothing more than to charge off but doing her utmost, and that much was agonizingly clear, to keep from walking off and packing her belongings. "I'll have it cleaned in a moment, -sir-," she said, her tone still respectful but that anger showing through no matter how hard she tried.

And then she remembered their company, who was concerned more than irritated. At least someone was. She finished picking up the larger pieces and went to go get the broom and a dustpan, her head held high and her walk firm. When she was out of sight and earshot, she covered her face and began to sob.

280 Posts
8 Threads

Hearing the doctor yell out the woman's name, had been before Douglas had seen what had happened but after the crash sound.  Inside, seeing the maid cleaning things up and her body language had Douglas stay back and stay quiet.  Accidents happened.  He could tell there was something tense between the two and did not want to get in between them.  The doctor did not seem to be the kind to abuse the servants, but perhaps he was mistaken in the reading of his manner. 

The young woman had been very meek back at the library, but she had a spirit.  He couldn't help but find it attractive.  She was pretty before, of course, but now he found himself wanting to follow her.  Though there might be a secret relationship between the maid and the doctor and this was a situation that was caused by that.  He would have to find out more before he put his foot into that situation.

"Should we wait for her to return with a new plate?" He asked after Pippa left the room with the broken plate and fallen food.

704 Posts
11 Threads

Though her words were polite, Tristan could perfectly discern the attitude, and he did not like it at all, especially not in front of his new friend. What the hell was that about? Did she not remember her place? Did she mean to embarrass him? He was definitely not amused.

He looked at Douglas, feeling rather lost. "Eh... why don't you have a seat. I'm so sorry about this. I'll be back in a moment." He left the room and followed Pippa. "Pippa! What was that abo-" Oh. He noticed her crying and calmed a little. "There now. It's just a dropped plate. I wouldn't sack you for that or anything. There's more plates up there and still enough food, so we'll be fine..."

327 Posts
9 Threads

He thought she was upset about the plate. Why would she be upset about a plate? She turned on him, her chin lifting gently, "You yelled at me, sir." She didn't say it with anger, she said it with a world full of confusion and hurt in her eyes, "I'd never been yelled at before. Have I done something to displease you?" Her eyes implored now and she lifted her palms, "I've tried h-hard to do all that you ask of me but it seems like all I'h'ive done today has only made you short with me and I don't understand what I did..."