Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] A New Life Through Death [Market, Shops and Spas]

629 Posts
22 Threads

Height: 5'1''

Anne pressed her lips together, embarrassed, when he commented on her hiding herself. "It's not that I'm ashamed, ser..." she said quietly. "I just don't think everyone might appreciate me doin' this." Especially father, and her Bible group and Sunday school leaders. "And I don't want to get in trouble with anyone."

50 Posts
1 Thread

Pronouns: he him
Height: 5'2"

Gus rose his brow. "Well, I suppose I can understand. You must have your reasons. I do hope though that if you get caught, you let me speak to them. I think it is important for women to find a little independence and be allowed your own job. You are very young and have plenty of time for this, it could help your future. Is that why you came to me?"

629 Posts
22 Threads

His words surprised her. Father always spoke about the importance of women being independent. And indeed, Whitby women tended to be more independent, since the high number of men lost at sea over the centuries had put many women in charge of their families. But somehow Anne knew that father wouldn't allow this kind of independence. "It's because of my sister, ser," Anne shared, for after what he had said, she felt he might understand, or at least be supportive. "... who has no independence at all. They married her to a man twice her age, whom she did not love, for financial reasons. I thought..." suddenly she worried about sharing so much, not because she was afraid he would be offended or angry, but because she knew she hadn't properly thought it through and didn't know if it would work out, and she was afraid of him pointing out how it wouldn't. "I thought if I find a way of earnin' money, I could support her, and she could leave 'im..." She looked down, afraid to see judgement or pity in his eyes.

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus moved to face her and placed his hands lightly on her shoulders as he looked at her face. "Ah, that's a very kind thing you are doing. I think you should let your sister know, even if he isn't a horrible man, she can decide if she is willing to stay with him knowing that there is another way out. When we feel that we are trapped in a room with a sealed door, the room is more pleasant when there is an open window. I hope that they can work things out, as long as she is a lady they may find common ground with time. I'm sure you will give her strength with this. "He took her hand in both of his and patted it. "You are a very kind sister."

629 Posts
22 Threads

[[Content warning: reference to child marriage and sexual abuse]]

He was so kind and helpful that Anne felt tears sting. She looked away to try and regain herself. "I don't want to give her false hope. That would hurt her even more. I have to help her, but I don't know if I can do it." And she was even more afraid that Alice would not accept the help, though she could not allow herself to even think of that. She had to believe she was going to save Alice. "But all I can think about is how awfully lonely she must feel. And how she doesn't know this man. And how awful it must be to..." she shook her head. She had to save Alice, and fast. Surely every day Alice spent there was filled with sorrow, and every night with hell. Anne could not help a tear rolling down her cheek. "Nobody else seems to care about what she's suffering," she said in a raw voice.

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus looked at her surprised by what she said. He lightly patted her shoulder to try and help her feel better. "Oh my poor child. I am afraid that sometimes you can not help some people, they will not accept it and only turn angry if you try to force them. If you would like, I can give you time off so that you may visit her. If this man is as bad to her as it sounds, you can find someone who will help you with this. I have never been married nor been closely involved in such things, but I do believe there are people in law or courts who can help separate them if the man is indeed dangerous as long as she has some place to go."

629 Posts
22 Threads

"I doubt he's doin' anythin'... illegal..." Tobias had saved their lives and had given them shelter. He was a bit rough in his manners at times, and she had felt a little intimidated. But he did not strike her as a drunk or a violent man. But still Alice had been forced to trade her freedom for money, and she was his possession now. And no doubt the law backed the whole thing. "But I suppose... She could still live elsewhere, couldn't see? Would the law require her to return? Could they force her?" Suddenly Anne became aware of what she was doing and whom she was talking to and she quickly shook her head. "I'm so sorry ser! I should be workin', not talking about me troubles. Oh I am very rude, ser, and I apologise!"

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus smiled warmly and shook his head. "Do not worry, you have something heavy on your heart. I think it will be easier for you after you lighten this terrible burden you bear." He placed a hand on his chest as he spoke. "Do not think too hard for you will think of every way it could go wrong. Take it slow, do your best, and be brave. It is important for this place as well as any part in your life. It is also hard to face the world alone. I may not be able to carry you but I am happy to try to help guide you the best that this old man can."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne slowly nodded. She looked up at him. "You are so nice," she barely more than whispered, and she could not hide the surprise in her tone.

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus grinned. "You only live once, and I decided a long, long time ago that making others sad was a life I didn't want to live. So I do all I can to help ease others. I am glad I could help you.' He squeezed her hand before leading her back inside.