Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] A New Life Through Death [Market, Shops and Spas]

629 Posts
22 Threads

Height: 5'1''

[[Content warning: Dead bodies, probably]]

Anne wondered if she had gone crazy. Surely the very idea of her being independent and making her own money was preposterous. And to think that she had to disobey father and lie for it too. Anne hardly recognized herself. But she was here. It was Tuesday evening and father thought she was at Bible study like every week. But Anne had told Mrs. Gibson that she could not attend Bible study or Sunday school anymore, because with Alice gone, and father's poor health, there was too much to do at home, and she had to look after her brothers. Mrs. Gibson was the wife of a rather well-to-do banker, and she hardly spoke to fishermen like her father, so Anne hoped that he would not find out. And so, she had slipped her Bible in her bag and had moved to Mrs. Gibson's home, but turned a corner where she should have gone straight ahead and rushed to the funeral home instead. She knocked on the door, rather out of breath, because she had run the last bit and was feeling nervous.

50 Posts
1 Thread

Pronouns: he him
Height: 5'2"

The door opened slowly as Gus looked out then saw her. He checked his pocket watch before smiling cheerfully, "Oh is it that late already? Well you're right on time!" He opened it wider to let her in, "Come in, come in. Are you alright, Miss Ward? You look rather out of breath. Let me get you some water.." The man walked towards a room to the side where he kept his kitchen.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne stepped in nervously. She was a good deal more intimidated without Kitty behind her, but she tried not to show it. "Oh please take no trouble, ser." It seemed strange to her that he would treat her like a guest. "I'd rather get straight to work. I'm quite alright."

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus nodded, "Alright well then. First thing's first." He led her into the room he had shown her the previous visit. This time there was a body laying on the table with a thin sheet covering it. Tubes stretched from it to the ground where there was a small puddle of blood pooling around a drain. "If you don't mind, we are done draining Mister Cassidy and so I need it mopped up to keep the place clean." The scent of some sort of chemical was strong in the air but his windows were open to help it clear out soon. "Sorry about the smell, you will get used to it."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne jumped a little when she saw the covered body and the blood on the floor. The smell made her feel nauseous. But she remained where she was, clenching her fists. She wasn't going to run from any horrors. No doubt, Alice was facing worse, and Anne would withstand any discomfort to save her. "Why is he being drained?" she asked.

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus smiled as he was happy to begin teaching. "It is called embalming. As soon as I can after getting a body I want to preserve it. So that they will look as much as they did alive for as long as I can. To do so I must drain the blood and then I treat them with chemicals." He waved his hand to a wall of shelves with a variety of bottles and jars.

629 Posts
22 Threads

"But.. Isn't he going to be buried?" She was used to people being buried as soon as possible, and she couldn't understand why someone would try to preserve a dead body. That seemed unchristian to her.

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus nodded but then casually shrugged "Some do not like the idea of their loved ones decaying in the earth. Out of sight does not mean out of mind. It is quite popular these days for those who can afford it, but it is by far important I think for their rest." He handed her a mop and began cleaning up some stuff before he looked over the bottles to pull out what he needed.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne began cleaning up the blood, trying not to think of the fact that this belonged to a dead person, and trying even harder not to get any of it on herself. She hoped the smell would not stick and betray her. She fetched extra water to make sure she cleaned well. She didn't want to mess up.

50 Posts
1 Thread

Gus left her to cleaning it up as he placed a few things on a table. He hummed to himself as he was preparing to put in said chemicals but looked at his new assistant. "If you don't feel ready to see such a thing, I can let you help with another part of the job. It would be more pleasant, and too much at once can be overwhelming. You've done a good job cleaning up." He was honestly happy to have an assistant to give him a little rest from the more manual labor.