Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Open] [CW] Penance

28 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'7"

CW - Alcoholism thoughts and topics of abuse.

Hortencia was not ignorant to Anne's tactics, as she had observed her ways for herself those many years before. It had been a long time. When Anne made it sound as if she had not been given enough money at all, and seemed to play at the need for more by explaining what was happening. Now the cogs were turning in her head, which funnily enough is why she chose to use the last name, "Coggins." What had Magnus done for the police to be needed? She knew he had a problem with his alcohol, but she had never known him to hit someone or be violent toward a woman. He liked to do funny things with them, but he had never lifted a finger toward herself in such a way. She smelled a rat.

And while Hortencia had been nothing but honest about her apologetic feelings, this was where she would have to choose to play along or if she would have to walk away. She had nothing to lose. She was already dying, her money was already secure for Pearl as was the new home the girl would inherit, she could afford to play along for the sake of getting even with the man who ruined her life. So instead of acting like she knew what Anne was up to, she said, "Tell me what he did to you... I want to help... I can give you more money for the lawyer. In fact, I can help you get a better lawyer if he is not doing enough." Of course, her new friend Mark said he was willing to do everything and anything for her until she was gone, it didn't seem unreasonable that he would, if the family didn't already know his face, that he could play the part of a solicitor for the sake of the grand scheme.
Victim

57 Posts
2 Threads

Height: 5'4''

The offer angered her. As if the money she had already received was not an insult enough. That was only redeemed by the fact that it had been Magnus' money. "I told you, it's not about money," she snapped a little harsher than she wanted. She took a deep shaky breath to show that this was all part of the nervous state she was in remembering Magnus' cruelty. In reality, she needed a moment to regain control over herself and think.

She wouldn't tell Mary she had a lawyer. She was well aware of the fact that Mary had no reason to care about her beyond wanting to punish Magnus. If word got back to Magnus that she had seen a lawyer, that could get nasty very soon.

She took another breath and wiped her eyes. "He was awful when you knew him. You can attest to that. But he got worse after that. He's threatened with violence so often. How do you think he got me to raise a child that's a constant reminder to my humiliation and play happy? I've been living in fear for so long. He gets drunk and mad enough to kill me... One night a few weeks ago, he sent for me, like he does... like I'm his servant." Her wet face showed disgust. "He was absolutely unhinged. I thought that would be the night. Started shouting and insulting me as soon as I walked through the door. He had found out your girl Pearl had run off with a working man, as you have no doubt read in the newspaper. He took his anger out on me, getting up in my face, shouting and calling me names, throwing his glass at me. I tried to get away but he wouldn't let me leave. He told me he had cut all of us out of his will and would leave us penniless. I called him a beast and that really set him off. He grabbed and pulled my arm so fiercely..." She caught her breath and put her handkerchief against her mouth again. "... I was in such pain... When he let go, I couldn't move my arm properly. I finally managed to run, and went straight to the police, as I was afraid he would kill me. They sent for a doctor to examine and treat me. My wrist was practically blue and the bastard had dislocated my shoulder. The doctor told them as much... and all they did was send someone over the next day to tell him to behave..." She wiped another tear. "So what good is the law to me?"

28 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'7"

She winced inwardly. She curled her lip outwardly. She was going to keep an open mind. If what the woman said was true, then Magnus was worse than she had known. She would have to trust her instinct for Pearl's sake. "How terrible," she said, genuinely enough that it wasn't a lie, but she wasn't feeling very sympathetic at the moment. It wouldn't do, however, to make things worse by poking the bear. She reached into her breast pocket and pulled out a pristine, white hanky, it was trimmed with lace and monogrammed. It was dainty, but just enough to add to the dramatic effect the gesture would ensure from somebody else other than the woman before her. The monogram would mean nothing to Anne but it sure would put the fear in the awful man who kept her child from her.

"He had no right to put his sins upon your shoulders. I am sorry for my part in this as well. Had I known what it would come to, I would have looked for another job. I failed you and I failed your children. Magnus deserves to do penance for what he has done." Her words sounded absent by that point, her brow puckering as she was genuinely troubled by all of this.

And then she sighed, but said no more, feeling a bit overwhelmed at that moment.
Victim

57 Posts
2 Threads

Height: 5'4''

Anne was no fool. She knew that even if she could convince Mary that Magnus had hurt her, she shouldn’t count on much empathy from a woman she had criticised and humiliated for years. And she had enough experience evoking genuine pity to realize that the other woman’s words and gesture were deprived of it.

Oh, she could deal with people not pitying her. She could even handle not being believed. There had been spiteful, horrid, mean people in her life who had called her a liar! It had wounded her terribly, but she had bounced back with reaffirmed victimhood.

But Mary’s absent tone sounded indifferent. If there was one reaction that made her blood boil it was indifference. At least Magnus had the decency to mistreat her.

Blinded to both strategy and consequences by a sudden flare of rage, she got up, ignoring the offered handkerchief. She turned to Mary, her face now completely changed to something the former maid might recognise from a frightful past. “Keep your pity, Mary. I see through your little act! You don’t care. You didn’t care about the consequences of your actions for me then, and you don’t care now! You just want to feel better about yourself before you die. That’s why you give me Magnus’ money now. That’s why you suddenly take an interest in your daughter now! Well, I will not dance like a puppet to your sorry tune! And I hope that at least I raised Pearl smart enough to see through your act as well! I’d rather be killed by Magnus than be humiliated by your fake pity!”

And with that, she turned and walked away. Walked. Her fashionable heels and weak ankles from giving birth to so many children (and nearly being killed by all of them) did not allow her to accelerate to the dramatic storming out pace she intended.