78 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: he/him
Plotter: The Hutchie Gazette
Height: 5ft 10inches
Alias: Hutchie

31st March, 1893. Sitapur, British India

Dear Kate,

Thank you for your last letter & I'm glad to hear your doing well in school.  Sorry for not writing to you sooner as the mail was delayed due to attacks by the rebels on our supply convoys. The weather has changed for the winter here and its getting colder at night. 

The army tells us that we will change soon and be replaced by another regiment and we will make for England once more. I visited the regiment photographer and got some photos that will send to you soon.

With Love
John

67 Posts
2 Threads

Height: 5'1''

Quote:22 April 1893, Whitby, England

Dear John,

Thank you for your letter. I am always so anxious when I do not hear from you for a while and so relieved once a letter finally arrives and I know you are well. How terrifying the cause of the delay! I cannot tell you how happy I am to hear that you will return home soon. I have often thought I can never be happy until you come back, knowing what dangers you are in over there. Mam and dad miss you. I am sure all will be much more pleasant once you are back here. You will never feel the need to go abroad again!

Things here are well. Mam and dad are in good health. Dad is working alongside a new driver, Mr. Hart, as Mr. Sands had to stop on account of his lungs. They seem to get along well. Mam is well, but she really misses you. She managed to remain composed when I told her you will come back to England, but she really seemed close to tears. Ruth would probably kill me if she knew I told you, but she has quite a number of admirers. If you do not hurry home, I bet you will find her married when you get here. That is, unless dad can prevent any lad from coming near her, which he tries. I hope I will grow up to be as pretty as Ruth, though I will not pay any attention to any lads before I am a teacher. Joe seems to be doing alright as a porter, but otherwise he is insufferable these days.

Teaching is going well, but I fear that my poor needlework will be my downfall. The other day Miss Bell told me I really need to improve if I want to continue. I was in tears. I did not tell mam. She has helped me so often, I worry she will think I learned nothing in spite of all her efforts. Which is true. Anne Ward sometimes gives me lessons. She works so neatly. But with her mam and two sisters gone, she is often too busy these days. I dare not ask Ruth, as she might tell on me. I do not know what I shall do. I wish you were here! I could always talk to you about these things.

I thank God that you will be on your way soon. I hope they send you home before it gets really cold there, but I include a pair of socks I knitted for practice. I hope they will help you keep warm. I pray for you every night and I shall pray for a safe journey to England.

With love,
Kate

Included are a pair of poorly knitted dark green socks with a mysterious grey pattern which on closer inspection might be elephants… or whales… or rocks?
Cpl John Blacke 133765

78 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: he/him
Plotter: The Hutchie Gazette
Height: 5ft 10inches
Alias: Hutchie

Quote:6th May 1893, Sitapur British India

Dear Kate,

Thanks for the socks! They are always welcome out here. The dampest from the sweat eats away at wool and eventually falls to pieces. Your needle work is improving. I promise on my return I'll teach you. I've taken the place of the regimental tailor and hopefully means less Time outside the camp but I'll still do the occasional patrol.

I'm glad our parents are well. Hopefully da isn't too hard on the new guy. I know what he can be like! We've also just had some new men arrive to our regiment and company. Even though its coming towards the end of spring it's still in the high 20s here and we are heading into summer. It drops low here at night. It was 5 degrees last night.

I've attached a few bits for you and ma. There's some photos of the camp. There's a couple of me and a couple of regimental photos. One of the locals does embriodered handkerchiefs aswell of the regimental crest so I've sent a couple of these aswell for you and ma.

I'm waiting on new sewing stuff to arrive. Once It comes I'll send you some. You might find that your needles are whats causing you issue.

Ruth hopefully knows what she's doing. She's always been the sensible one out of Joe, Ruth and me. I'm sure she would help you if you are struggling. We all would and if anyone hurts her. Id be on the first boat home to deal with it!

Anyways baby sister I best wrap this letter up. I've got some mess waistcoats that need sewing and alteration. Give ma & da my love, be good and look forward to hearing from you

With love
John

In the package with the letter was photos & handkerchiefs