Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Surprise! [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Height: 5'8''

"I understand..." Ben said, before they closed the door. He led Elijah back to his own cottage. "Aye... I suppose we could try to find some money. But ye might as well have it taken to the orphanage. There's nobody that can look after him and we can't keep throwin' money around for long. I got me own to look after as well."
The children, who had heard the last part when they came in, sat up. Anne was pouting. "Rose is earnin' some money now, father," she argued.
"And we direly need it ourselves." Ben snapped at her.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah frowned at him in surprise and shook his head. "I am asking for your help, Ben. Not your money. I have some I can spare for this. I don't know how long it would last, but I want to try. I am certain someone in this town might not mind having a child, there has to be some childless couple somewhere. Until then it can not be that much to ask a mother to feed him alongside their own child. I am hopeful anyway.' He wanted to rub his hands together as the worry built up but they were busy holding the sleeping child.
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

"You might find that harder than you think..." Ben said. He sat back down. "Poor couples would want an older child, so it can work, and richer couples wouldn't want that kind of child. Did you see the rag he was dressed in. He's a foundling anyway. For all they know he's the son of some beggar or harlot..."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah frowned. "His parents shouldn't matter. He is a baby. " He shook his head looking down at the child then back. "If I can't find someone before the money runs out, I will take him to an orphanage. But until then I will do my hardest to try. He should have a right to live in the town he was born in. It wasn't his fault his mother wasn't able to care for him.. for whatever reason.'
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Ben sighed. "You're a good man, Elijah. I just hope you don't waste your savings on a child who cannot be saved anyway." Anne was pouting.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah frowned in surprise. "You are too negative. I know you are being realistic.. but what is life without hope? I want to try for him and do what I can so he has an equal chance at life like I did when I lost my parents. Yes.. I still had family and I was older. But what if I hadn't? I'd have been in his same position. If I were a baby back then and no grandparents.. would you have taken me in?" He rose his brow. He knew the answer, and that was his point.
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

"I knew yer parents..." The truth was that he would probably not have taken Elijah in. Not if he had been a baby. He had had two boys to look after and a third child coming at the time. It was as Mary Tanner had said. Own children came first. "Of course I want a good life for that baby, all I'm saying is.. well... don't expect too much. And without his mother, well, let's hope he doesn't fall sick in the first place." So many babies died. He had lost two, and he had been lucky to raise all his other children beyond their infant years, although misfortune had still visited them twice.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah looked at Ben as he didn't truly answer, as expected. He didn't fault the man, but it should have made his own position clear. "I understand. And perhaps I do everything right and get him parents and he still doesn't make it. At least I tried my hardest, and he had a better life than being cast aside in a cold orphanage. I don't want to give him less than the best chance I can."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Ben nodded. "I understand and its a good thing to do, Elijah..." he said. "Well. The work waits." He got up and so did William. The girls and Bram started clearing off the table.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah smiled weakly and nodded. "Thank you for all of your hard work, Ben. I am going to see if there are any nursemaids in town that don't mind a little extra side work." He started to the door, he wanted one found before the boy woke up hungry.