[Complete] [CW] returning home.... [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Cpl John Blacke 133765

78 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: he/him
Plotter: The Hutchie Gazette
Height: 5ft 10inches
Alias: Hutchie

It had been 5 years since John had last walked the streets of Whitby, the last time he was just about to leave for British India, he had been given special leave before the battalion had embarked and it was the last time he was home and alot had happened in five years and a lot had stayed the same. Now he was returning a different man, his uniform was clean, new rank chevrons on his arm and was looking a lot smarter than when he left to take the Queen's Shilling at 18

John had gotten the train back to Whitby and stood on the platform as he quickly checked everything was in order before slinging his overseas holdall over his shoulder and walking out of the station towards the paths to home, the streets were just as he remembered but with little subtle changes, different colour doors or windows, old shops closed, new shops opened and some still the same.

He wasn't sure how this homecoming would be received but thankfully he had options, if it was ok he would stay but if not he would return back to camp, he had to be there in 4 days anyways so it wasn't that big of a deal. he would wait and see what the reception was like at home.

It wasn't long before he was walking down the close of the back streets towards his parents. the cobbles were still as slippery as he left. he turned the handle on the back gate and made his way down the path through the back door of his parents house, he placed his kitbag against the table in the kitchen before calling out "Ma........Pa, ya home?"

325 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Alias: BlackAck

The familiar voice drifted in from the front of the house. John?!! Lottie dropped what she was doing and rushed in.

"John!" Lottie screeched in surprise as she recognised the tall, deeply tanned man in uniform standing in the hall. She rushed up and threw her arms around him. He may have been a tall man, he have been a man in uniform, but he was still her little boy, so she hugged him deeply before letting go.

"I didn't know ye were back? When did ye get in? Why didn't ye write? How long can ye stay fer?" Her questions were rapid and answers were expected.
Cpl John Blacke 133765

78 Posts
5 Threads

John smiled as he heard the commotion and laughed. His mother was definitely happy to see him and that was a good sign. He heard her as she came running thought the house and embraced her as she wrapped her arms around him.

He laughed at the questions "Jesus ma I'm just in the door!" He sighed "come on ill pop the kettle in and we can have a natter in the kitchen"

He quickly moved into the kitchen and popped the filled kettle onto the stove and proceeded to answer her questions. "I didnt get a chance to write ma, I was recovering in hospital after getting shot" he took off his tunic and placed it over the chair leaving him in his service issue shirt "I got in this morning after sailing from Egypt where I was recovering and didn't know I was coming home until I got my papers to make my way to the third battalion based in Yorkshire. I've been sent back to train them to allow me to recover fully and a chance of further promotion"

He poured them both a drink before placing his mothers in the table and continuing. "I'm home for 4 days before I have to appear before the sargeant major of the battalion to give him my papers and take it from there. Part of me thinks I'm gonna end up on recruitment in the local area which would be a nice change" he sighed "but that depends on how da takes me being home i may go back to barracks early!"

325 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Alias: BlackAck

Lottie was both shocked and pleased to hear that her son was back in England. Shocked by the circumstances surrounding his return, but pleased that he could perhaps be home for Sunday lunch more than once a decade.

"I've always said my boys are made of stern stuff. It'll take more than a godless heathen in the desert to deal with them. Still, promotion sounds nice."

She pottered with making tea. "So you know dear, when e sees you, your da may not be in the best of moods. We've had bother with Joe.. and Ruth. Little Kate though, been an angel."
Cpl John Blacke 133765

78 Posts
5 Threads

John snorted when she mentioned Joe "can't be my little brother surely ma! It was always me that brought trouble to this house" he said with a mischievous laugh. He wasn't lying part of the reason he went to the army was because he kept getting into trouble "im sure everyone of those grey hairs on your head was cause by me!"

He sat back in the chair "shot twice. Once in the arm and once in the leg, 2 of the lads who I was with were killed outright but they were brought home to their parents. We made sure of that" he thought for a moment "yeah they put me up in front of the board for promotion but there was no slots to fill" he continued "I was given the option stay in India as a corporal or transfer but the rebels took care of the choice for me"

He raised an eyebrow at the mention of Ruth "whats my little sister done?........ if someone has hurt her...." he was concerned. Both Ruth and Kate always wrote to him but they never mentioned any kind of trouble. Perhaps that was because if they mentioned it John would try and convince them otherwise