Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

A Visit with Momma

306 Posts
13 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'5"

Ruth was thriving despite all odds against her. She had a good job with good employers, her baby was well loved by most of the staff, and she was in love with Edward, though that part was kept to herself. She was not happy, however, for she was facing divorce and that hurt more than she thought it would. She wanted her mother though. Surely she would have some sage advice on how to persevere through such an action. It was bad enough that Angus was threatening to sue her for kidnapping, which she very well did not do, but to have to face divorcing her husband was something she could only hope would ease with time.

She hefted her son on her hip, the boy clinging to his mom with tiny hands. She entered her old home and called out, "Ma? I'm here." She looked around for Lottie and caught sight of her in the kitchen as usual.

At the sight of his grandmother, Jacob gave a squeal of a giggle and perked up, "Ha, ah! BabababababaaH!" He gave a winning smile, reaching with his little grabby hands. Ever since he was born, Ruth had been bringing him over every other weekend or so in order for Lottie to get to see Jacob. Of course, Ruth spent that time to get other things done without having to cart him around while juggling things, but unless Lottie and Bill were okay with him spending the night with them, she would always come back and get him before she went home.

This time Ruth was going to be able to visit longer than a few moments.

325 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Alias: BlackAck

Her daughter's shout brought Lottie out of the routine of cooking. Lottie put down her spoon and went to meet her offspring. Lottie beamed with pride at the sight of Jacob. Whatever her own children had done, Ruth had given her him. Plus, her grandson was still young enough to grow himself into a better adult. He with was growing nicely.. his stubby fingers grabbing for her. His nonsense babbling amused her, and reminded her of when her own children were young. An event that seemed like yesterday.

"There's me Jacob. Come 'ere ta yer Nan. Ooh he's grown' a big lad." She said, reaching out to take Jacob from Ruth. Give the dear a rest. Ruth was almost an afterthought. "Come along, there's some tea in the pot already, want a cup? Are ye plannin' on stayin' fer supper?"

306 Posts
13 Threads

"Aye, mum, I have need of fortification. Angus..." She curled her lip, "is tryin' ta get our Jacob." The baby gladly went into his grandmother's arms and nuzzled her lovingly. "But Mister Blackwood is hirin' me a lawyer. Oh, mum, I am sorry I brought shame to ye. Could ye ever forgive me fer runnin' off with that no-good rat?" It was clear that she learned her lesson about looking before leaping. She'd grown into a responsible young woman and taken accountability for her part in this mishap, but it was also clear that she had a hell of a fight ahead of her.

She moved to pour tea, one cup for her mother and one cup for herself. "He sent me some letters. He said he wanted ta take me back, and then when I said no, he sent me a letter tellin' me what I did was kidnappin'! Ye and I both know it's not true and Mister Blackwood knows it ta be a falsehood, he saw me when I first got here, I was pregnant. How could I give birth to a bairn and it be kidnappin'?"

325 Posts
3 Threads

Lottie did not answer her child's plea for forgiveness. Not so long ago, young Ruth had thrown words to the wind and defied her mother. The old woman didn't know what she was talking about, couldn't possibly understand, that sort of thing. These accusations weren't easily swept away like old coal dust. If anything, the frostiness was cracking. In time it would melt, but not quite yet. Instead, she merely accepted the cup of tea.

Despite her personal mistakes, Ruth had done well in securing work with the Blackwood family, one of Whitby's wealthiest.

"I knew that Angus was no good. I'm glad the Blackwoods are 'elpin' ye. A court wouldn't take a child from it's mother." Lottie said from her vast legal experience, that is to say none.

306 Posts
13 Threads

When her mother didn't answer her plea for forgiveness, Ruth felt crestfallen. She knew she had done wrong and now she was suffering the consequences of her actions. Not only was she filing for divorce from a man she thought she loved, but she had to figure out how to keep her baby safe in all of this. She could handle the hateful words one might utter toward a divorced mother, but she would not tolerate it against Jacob. He was an innocent baby in all of this.

She understood though.

"Do ye want help with supper, mum?" Jacob chose that moment to go, "BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBABABABABABABA!" before giving a very drool filled raspberry, sticking his tongue out "thptptptptptptpt"

325 Posts
3 Threads

"If you wouldn't mind - and how's me Jacob? 'Ave you been good for yer mammie?" Lottie bounced her little chubby bundle. A sensible reply was not expected yet.

306 Posts
13 Threads

"Jacob seems ta have charmed most of the people of the Blackwood estate," she said with pride, "Why, Master Edward has taken a shining ta him. He's the one who offered help." She hoped that wasn't a sigh of longing in her own words. God, she was a fool. She set about making tea while her mother toted and doted on Jacob.

325 Posts
3 Threads

"Well, I'm not surprised. The men of this family 'ave always had a way with people. Yer Father, John, and of course Joe." Lottie said. Whether those interactions were positive or inciting depended on the person.

306 Posts
13 Threads

"I'd be more worried iffin he took after his own pa," she said honestly. "Despite whate'er I might have said in me anger, mum, we're more well-adjusted than some families and I'd rather me boy learn from ye and pa than that... bloody, no good wretch of a man. Imagine! Threatenin' me wit' the law. He didn't want anythin' to do with Jacob until he saw him months after he was born! I will not let him use me boy as a pawn in his disgustin' game."

325 Posts
3 Threads

Lottie nodded over the rim of her teacup. The rebellious streak of the Clarke women was alive and kicking having trickled down the family tree, first to Lottie, now Ruth. Littlest Kate had shown flashes that she too would remain steadfast in her own mind and voice, especially in her dealings with that bloated haddock carcass Ben Ward.

"That McCloud boy had better not knock at my door. I'll shove me pin right up his.. Hutton Le-Hole.." Lottie's colourful threat harked back to her upbringing as a fisherlass.