Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] A Promise Is a Promise [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'0"

Lory frowned and fanned herself, then shrugged.

“Some man,” she deflected back, then was back to Warding with a pitying look. “Do you need any help, Ruth?”

191 Posts
9 Threads

Ruth turned her eyes down for a second and shrugged. What jealous anger she had felt earlier left her for the moment. She didn't like her old friend pitying her. And yet she could use help. "Depends on what 'elp ye can offer." She looked back up and reluctantly admitted. "Me man ran off and left me with t' two bairns. I've no idea where 'e is. We couldn't pay rent anymore. I need a safe place to... work, until my new flat's sorted." If it would be sorted. She pointed at her face. "Where they don't do that. Where do you sell?"
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Lory frowned, then shook her head.

“Oh, Ruth,” she sighed, putting a pitying hand on her arm. “I’m so sorry.”

Then she said a safe place to … work … and Lory suddenly found herself feeling a lot of weird things at once.

“Oh, Ruth,” she repeated, but in a way that sounded more strained. “It’s no place for a mother,” she fished into the front of her dress, but had to dip quite a ways down unlike the other girls for she was rather flat, “but I can spare you some change. How much do you need?”

Mmm, maybe not the emergency purse. She hiked up her skirt to her thigh instead, where her Chatelaine bag laid.

191 Posts
9 Threads

Aye, she wanted help, but not that sort. It was easier to take money from men who took something in return. Or when she blackmailed them and they had no choice about it. She wasn't going to accept.... Lory, of all people, tossing coins at her like she was a common beggar.

"Single mothers need to work too." Oh but the meaning wasn't lost on her, especially now that she realized that Lory did not only possess fine clothes, but multiple money purses too. Wherever she worked was too high class for a Longbottom. Her lip curled up in disgust. "And I don't need yer money, I can make me own."
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Ruth was not a virgin mother, but she rather liked not thinking of it. She winced when Ruth made herself clear. Ruth was going to Hell either way, and so was Lory … but was she going to invite her own Hell on Earth, too? Watching her get pawed all over by disgusting, slimy men?

At least they’d get the boot if they punched her.

“It’s the Diamond Pony,” she sighed.

Not like she hid it any more. Not after Uncle Ben.

“I can put in a good word for you.”

She’d rather just give her change, and kept her skirt hiked.

A couple with children passed by and gasped, to which she finally let her skirts settle back to just about the ground.

191 Posts
9 Threads

She would? It surprised Ruth that Lory would compromise herself bringing up a Longbottom in such a high class place. Ruth promised herself that if she did get a job, she'd really behave and do her best for Lory's sake. She'd dump her kids at her parents' place or maybe Elijah's and she'd behave elegantly and be very clean and watch her mouth.

She turned her head at the offended gasp. Ugh, who did they think they were to judge? "Oh get stuffed!" she called out to them.
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

“The gentleman does,” she whispered conspiratorially.

She didn’t actually know that, but as far as she could tell? Nearly every man with the coin to spare went to prostitutes, anyway.

“But don’t say that out loud there,” she schooled placidly.

191 Posts
9 Threads

The couple walked on faster, casting disapproving looks back. Ruth smirked at Lory's comment. "I won't." It would be hard.

She looked at her old friend. Lory had turned out really beautiful. Ruth had always known she would. She felt the little flame of jealousy grow again.

But Lory was willing to help her, she reminded herself. "And that's be great if ye could put in a word. I'll be really well-mannered or whatever they want. Until they want dirty."
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

This was happening. Anita was considering the same brothel she was at, to sleep with men. She preferred preserving her image as a Virgin Mary, rather than cast in the live gospels of Mary Magdalen’s past life.

Let she who has not sinned cast the first stone, she supposed. It was bad enough to watch men paw over Antoinette who looked a bit like Ruth.

She cringed at how Ruth finished her sentence, but managed to turn it into an ironic looking smile.

“It’s not so bad, and it’s not forever.”

If she played her cards right. God, though. It was so easy to spend once it was in hand.

“I’ll … see you around,” she said, smile faltering.

Fuck. She’d see her around alright.

“Careful with Crane,” she said as she turned to head off. “He beats women these days!”

191 Posts
9 Threads

Ruth shrugged. "I hope so." It wouldn't be for long if that idiot Willaby didn't actually tell Rose and would just give her the flat. It would be stupid of him to tell Rose anyway. It would harm all three of them. But well, he was a man after all, and men did stupid things.

Did she notice that Lory was uncomfortable? Perhaps, but she needed the job if the flat didn't work out, so she chose not to see it.

The comment about Crane had her snort. "I'd like to see him try." Did Lory really believe her own nonsense? Ruth shook her head. She'd like to get to the bottom of that gossip some other time. "See you around," she returned, and she turned to go back to the cottage.