Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Keep Your Friends Close, And The Father Closer [Hotels, Pubs, and Accommodations]
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'0"
Alias: tomato

There were not enough hours in the daytime for Mable, and this was something she would be upset about forever.

It was not fair.  There was so much she wanted to do in a day, now more than ever, but the sun set too quickly for her to complete her extensive list.  There was so much to explore on Whitby, and Mable wanted to see every inch of it first hand as soon as possible, learn all of it's secrets and what made the people tick and where to find the best and warmest bread.  She wanted to see if she could dig for worms in the sand of the beach, and she wanted to find the quickest path to the moors and go swimming in the river.

But no.  Unfortunately for her, days ended, and the sky got dark, so the young girl had to retreat to the hotel her and her brother were staying, and find some way to make use of her time there.

The room was not the most dreadful place to be, she had to admit.  It was much nicer than anywhere she'd ever stayed before, with genuine wallpaper that covered every inch of the wall.  A beautiful rug covered most of the hardwood floor, and it was plush and soft to the touch.  There were beds, and furniture in the room besides that too.  Bedside tables and a small table and chairs, and a little desk with a Bible.  All of them were carved from dark, beautiful wood Mable touched with wonder.

Now, though, most of the reverence had worn off.  Mable hadn't much interest in reading the Bible, and her brother forbid her from rearranging the room, so she was stuck making up games to keep herself occupied until she was tired enough to sleep.

Currently, the girl was tossing a collection of pebbles she'd gotten that morning at the wall, trying to get them to land within the small confines of a cloth napkin (cloth napkin!!!) on the ground in front of the wall.  Just doing that was easy, though, so Mable was challenging herself by trying to make the pebbles land in a way that made a picture.  This now seemed near impossible, but it was a good way to pass time, to she kept it up for as long as she would be able to stand it.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

There were not enough hours in the day for Malachi. This was something that had only become true after joining the priesthood.

Morning mass revived what energy he lost on his sleepless nights, but the summer days felt short once daily services were done. There was much to do, much to figure out before he settled in completely. The parish liked him well enough – from what he could tell – and yet he sensed a reluctance in so many of them to linger in the church. They avoided the confessional most of all, but a few had broken beneath the weight of their sins and called upon him to listen.

It made him wonder just how bad Father Kemble had been before him. What he’d heard of the man had been less than flattering, but that was just the way it went with some priests, wasn’t it? Some of them were too strict, too judgmental, too lax, too much. Some viewed the confessional as a means of shaming the unfortunate congregants on the other side of the grate, and others still took too much pleasure in it.

The parish would come around. Malachi was certain of that. Given enough time, they’d come around, and they’d see that there was nothing to fear with their new priest.

Not in that sense.

By the time he allowed himself to be done for the day, ‘day’ had already faded into the cooler twilight hours of the evening. While his parishioners were… meant to be his primary focus, his thoughts had been occupied instead with the young Reynolds siblings he’d just recently met. Were they doing alright? Had the owners of the hotel kept their word and given them meals when reasonable? Or had they wandered off into the night again, to find themselves in the dark of some other town’s streets?

Malachi was not an especially worrisome sort. He had, however, always possessed the tendency to obsess over the few things in life that brought him any sense of purpose: helping those in need, especially children, and…

And things that he really shouldn’t even think about anymore because he was a good priest, and he kept his vows, and if he ever hadn’t kept them then it was clearly just a rebellious phase and it didn’t represent him at all.

He made his way back to the hotel, dressed in his black vestments and his saturno, too, just because. He hadn’t caught sight of Edmund or Mable along his way, nor did he spot them hanging around the outside of the building, and he hoped that meant they were in the room. Once he’d found his way to it (and heard the muffled sound of something hitting off the wall), Malachi took a breath and knocked firmly on the door.

“Hello?” he called, low enough so as not to wake anyone should they be sleeping. “Are you in there, Eddie? It’s Father Brennan.”

Huh. It felt different to call himself 'Father' when the children didn't seem to have one of their own.
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Mable's efforts had just started to pay off, her carefully thrown pebbles forming what she thought looked quite similar to a potato appearing on the napkin - or maybe the depiction of a larger pebble.  It changed depending on which way the girl tilted her head - when a solid knock came at the door.

The sound of it was not her brother, she knew immediately.  He would never knock so loudly when he knew Mable was in the room.

They both startled too easily.

Less than a second later, a voice came, and though Mable did not recognize it, the name she did.  Brennan, the man her brother had met the night before, and who had paid for their hotel room.  What was he doing here?

Unsure of what else to do, Mable stood and opened the door to greet the man.  She had another surprise as she did so, this one coming in the staggering height of the stranger.

"Oh," she could not help but say, tilted her head up and down to take in the dark clothes and brimmed hat this Brennan wore.  Her brother had said he was a priest, and Mable was not raised religious, and that was probably a good thing.  If she walked into a church and saw a man dressed like this, she would not be able to contain her amusement.

The current situation was a very different one, though, and Mable cleared her throat to collect herself.

"Hello Mr. Brennan!  I'm sorry, but my brother isn't here right now.  It's just me - my name is Mable.  Was there something you needed?"

Oh, what if he came to ask for compensation for the price of their room?  They did not have any money, not yet.  Her brother had mentioned staying for a bit to work, but Mable doubted he'd found a job and earned enough to cover a place as nice as this.  Maybe she could distract the man with her charming personality until her brother returned and fought him off.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

While the girl had to tilt her head to look up, the priest had the opposite problem of having to look down.

He had known that she was small, and she’d only looked smaller in her brother’s arms, but it hadn’t occurred to him that she could look even shorter up close. Most people he met could be considered vertically challenged next to him, sure. But shit, he felt like some kind of big shadowy monster in the doorway when she looked up at him like that.

Uh- maybe he should have waited. Should have found time to come by when it was still light out, so that everything didn’t feel quite so drastic, or at least he could still leave and come back when the girl’s brother returned.

“Oh,” he mirrored, taking one step back. Partly to save her the strain of having to look up so far, and partly so that she didn’t feel caged in by his presence at the door.

Mr. Brennan, she called him, and he’d just said the proper way of addressing him seconds before, so it had to be intentional. Or was she simply unaware? God, he didn’t know, but ‘mister’ had always left a bitter taste in his mouth when it preceded his father’s last name.

“Hello Mable,” he adjusted. “No, nothing I need. I just wanted to make sure that you and your brother were settling in alright – is the room nice enough?”

Malachi cast a critical eye over the room behind her, but didn’t find anything immediately offensive about the quality of the room. It had looked nice from the outside, after all, and he doubted they cared, but he did. A lot.
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

It was discreet and so easy to miss, but a part of Mable did relax when the tall man took a step away from the door.  It was such a small thing that most didn't think to do, but Mr. Brennan had.  It reminded her of the attentive nature of her brother, and she forgave the man in her mind for his harsh knocking just a moment ago.

More obvious was her relief that he had not come looking for anything, and was just checking in on her and her brother.  It was another small yet kind gesture many men wouldn't have thought about, but this one did.  Oh, Mable was beginning to like him.

"The room is very nice, sir!  My brother said you paid for it yourself - thank you so much!  It was so kind of you.  I haven't slept in a proper bed since, ah, well.  Since I was in the United States!  Not to mention the food - oh, I'm sorry, would you like to come in?"

Mable opened the door wider and stepped aside to welcome the man, glancing back into the room for something to offer him, a drink or something to eat, but of course she found nothing.  The only thing resembling food in the room was her pebble-potato picture lying on the napkin by the far wall, and while the girl was proud of it, even she could not convince herself that it was appetizing.

"I'm not sure how much you heard about me last night, I apologize for being such poor company!"  Not that Mr. Brennan would care, hopefully.  She had been quite tired.  "I'll do my best to make up for it now, though.  Would you like a tour of the room?  Would you like me to take you coat and hat?"
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

How cheerful she was, compared to her brother – and so talkative, too. He was taken aback by just how easily she welcomed him into what he assumed was the only safe space she and Edmund had.

Malachi’s head lowered slightly as she expressed her gratitude, but whether it was out of shyness or habit was hard to tell. In truth he never knew how to respond to being thanked; never managed to convince anyone that he did things just because he wanted to.

Her enthusiasm, though! It was infectious. He felt a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth, against his will.

“Oh,” he said again, readying an excuse to leave, but then the door was opening farther and he’d have felt bad if he said no. He didn’t have to imagine how lonely it could be when you were stuck in a room by yourself.

“Ah- sure, I can stay for a moment. Thank you.”

That was that, then. Malachi stepped into the room, already surveying it again. Nothing looked any worse than it had from the doorway. The furnishings were solid, the beds looked comfortable, and with any luck the food they provided was decent. His head turned upon hearing the girl’s inquiries, and he blinked before the words seemed to register.

His coat and hat? He supposed his cassock did sort of look like a coat, buttoned up as it was. It felt hot enough to be one.

“Sure,” he said again, his low voice kept softer now that he was in the room. He removed his hat and held it out to Mable; the scent of lavender clung to it.

“You hardly made for poor company. Traveling is hard on anyone,” Malachi assured, “and a tour would be wonderful. Have you been able to explore town much yet?”
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Happily, Mable took the man's hat when it was offered, holding it delicately in her hands as she examined the strange, circular shape and wide brim.  She looked for a coat rack or somewhere proper to hang the hat as Mr. Brennan spoke, but found nothing.  Awkwardly, she held on for the moment, breathing in deep the flowery smell that came from it.

Travelling is hard, yes, especially for children alone.  Even more so when they are poor children, grieving their father, on the run.  To call it hard was an understatement, Mable felt, but did not express this.

"I explored for as long as I was able to - but I spent most of it on the docks watching the ships and the ocean," she admitted bashfully, walking further into the room.  "I've never seen water so big before, I was mesmerized!  But I was able to go down a few streets on my way there.  I found a single boot on the road, have you ever seen something like that before?  I'd hate to be the person missing it."

Mable nearly bumped into a chair in her rambling, but stopped just before it.  She glanced at her guest to make sure he hadn't caught it, smiling at herself.  "Pardon me, sir.  I know I'm talkative, I hope it doesn't bother you too much.  Anyway!  Look, here is the table!  To - ehm, my brother and I had breakfast here this morning.  Eggs and toast and sausage!  I've never had anything so tasty so early in the morning before."

She stumbled over her brother's not name, and frowned for just a moment as she corrected herself.  Damn her brother for changing his wonderful name.  Mable refused to call him by his new alias, and she wasn't allowed to call him by his not name, so she had to settle for the one thing he would always be; her brother.

"Over there are the beds, as you can see.  Two of them!  That was very thoughtful of you too, sir, my brother would have slept on the floor if there was only one, and I hate when he does that.  And touch the blankets!  Aren't they soft?  I adore them.  Its like being covered by a cloud!"
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Oh. She was just… holding onto the hat. Good thing he hadn’t worn a coat as well.

It was much easier getting information out of Mable than it was her brother, that was clear. Years of caring for the children in his parishes had long made Malachi a master of patience, and he was all too glad to follow at a slower pace behind her and let her speak uninterrupted.

Was she always so upbeat, or was it her nerves that compelled her? She did not seem at all uncomfortable once he had introduced himself… and that was as deeply appreciated by Malachi as it was shocking.

He tore his gaze away from its inspection of the room, finding instead the girl’s smile when she glanced his way.

“Not at all,” he promised with a small smile of his own.

Besides – he would rather hear too much than not be trusted with anything at all.

Malachi reached out and touched the table. No dust. From the sound of it, the people running the hotel had kept their word thus far.

(Some small, naïve part of him hoped, perhaps unrealistically, that she was just always so enthused about food, and that her excitement was not for lack of having it. A larger part of him chose to ignore the things he could not change; to pray that he had the strength to.)

Happy to oblige the girl’s request, Malachi stepped closer to the beds after that and tested a hand against the blankets. She was right – they were soft, and he couldn’t help but compare them to the stiff sheets that covered his bed in the presbytery. At least these beds were seeing some use.

“I’m glad you like the room,” he said, withdrawing his hand so that it could join the other behind his back. “I was not sure if it would be as… nice, as I hoped.”

It was nicer. A lot nicer, but that was alright. The siblings probably deserved things like this after making do with whatever accommodations they might have had while travelling on their own.

Malachi took a seat at the table, conscious of how the chair brought him closer to eye-level with the young girl. “I don’t know if your brother said much about me, but I’m new to Whitby too, and I haven’t had the time to explore much of it either.”

The nights were his best chance, until things were all sorted out at the church. The priest’s head tilted then, dark eyes curious as they observed Mable.

“Do you know if your brother will be out long? We could walk along the river, if you’re bored in here – but I don’t want to worry him if he gets back before we do.”
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

"No, the room is wonderful, sir," Mable assured quickly, following the other back to the table.  Even if it wasn't, she wouldn't tell that to the man paying for it.

And, in her humble opinion, this was much better than sleeping on the street.

"I've got no idea," she admitted in response to Mr. Brennan's question, and then pointed a finger at him.  "That boy is always getting into trouble, you know!  But I don't think he'd mind if I went out with you.  The river isn't very far is it?  Maybe we'll see my brother on his way back."

Now that the idea had been planted, Mable had her mind made up.  She grinned at her guest, decisively fitting his hat on her head.  Her thick hair made the fit a bit tight, but it didn't fall off when she took her hands off it stayed.  She posed, grinning, and then turned towards the door.

"Come on!  Don't let me lead the way, I'll just get us lost."
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Mable’s comment about her brother, while unfortunate, was not all that hard to believe. The boy had been respectful and polite as anyone else once they had moved beyond the initial wariness of one another, but Malachi figured there was more under the surface of that one. There usually was, when it came to people backed into corners and doing their best to defend.

“It isn’t that far at all, no,” though it followed the bank to the ocean. Perhaps he would not take her that far, though, at least not without her brother’s knowledge. He was hesitant as it was to remove her from the place that he probably expected her to stay, but there wasn’t any real harm in taking her for a walk, was there?

It had to be more entertaining than… whatever she had been doing with those pebbles on the floor.

Malachi lifted, pushed his chair back into place, and was caught off-guard by the sight of Mable in his hat when he turned.

Oh God. Oh God. His heart felt like it melted in his chest, and yet something pricked, too, at the corners of his eyes as he watched her pose. She was just so… happy. The thought of her making it all the way from the states, sleeping God knows where, dealing with all the clamor and chaos of ships and traveling that were hard enough for a privileged adult – he was not the type to cry. Not easily, not often. But God it hurt to think of all the girls just like her that he would never get the chance to help.

“Ah, right!” he nodded, shaking himself from the sudden emotion. “I’m afraid I can’t promise that I won’t get us lost either… but I’ll do my best.”

He smiled as he opened the door, and held it open until she’d passed through.

“Eddie mentioned that you two were from Pennsylvania? What is it like there?”

Once they were out of the building, Malachi gestured to the nearby street that ran along the river, walking towards it at a casual pace.