[Complete] [CW] Before The Light Goes Out [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Banned

133 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: WOW!
Height: 5'4"
Alias: tomato

How long had they been walking, now?  Months, undoubtedly.  But today, specifically.  The whole daylight, and then some since the sun had set.  And it was still hot as all hell, even in the pale moonlight.  Edmund had hoped England would be less temperate, but no such luck, not yet.  The breeze coming in from the sea only brought with it the sickening smell of salt that reminded Edmund of the long trip here.

Beside him, Mable dragged her feet along the ground as she walked.  Edmund gently squeezed her hand where he held it in his own.  “Don't drag your feet, you’ll ruin your shoes.”

The girl didn’t respond except for a quiet sigh.  Edmund frowned.

“Tired?”

A hum, affirmative.

Well, they’d have to find a comfortable sidewalk to spend the night on soon.

“Just a little further, alright?”

“No,” came a drawn out, scratchy response.  “My feet hurt…”

Edmund took a few steps further before Mable forced him to halt.  She didn't say anything, just stared at him.  Even in the darkness, he knew under her eyes were dark circles betraying her exhaustion.

Resigned, the young man glanced around, using his foot to sweep dirt away from a particularly flat idea of the ground before removing his coat and laying it down on top.  Mable smiled at the gesture, bemused, and let Edmund help her down.

“Just for a moment,” Edmund said as she leaned against his leg.  “We still need to find something to eat.”

“This late?” the girl mumbled.  Her brother hummed.

“I thought you were hungry.”

“Sleep for dinner tonight, I think.” 

Edmund scoffed.  “I’ll find you something,” he said quietly.  Mable just sniffled in response, already half asleep.  Her brother ran fingers through the thick curls on her head, both to soothe her and keep himself awake.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Before The Light Goes Out - by Edmund Reynolds - 05-09-2022, 12:10 AM