Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Boys Will Be Boys [Market, Shops and Spas]

188 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 4'10"

Edward had been disappointed he was no longer getting free food from school. Nothing else had truly changed except he's had an easier time avoiding school. The new constable was a real piece of work that he'd been trying his hardest to avoid.  Today, he'd been woken by the new baby crying and was in a particularly sour mood.

There seemed to be no one to worry about as he slipped along the marketplace, going between people to avoid being seen by anyone who could recognize him for the trouble he was. When he was bigger and stronger, he wouldn't have to worry about hiding. He'd have made a name for himself and no one would mess with him.

He saw something, a purse someone had dropped. It must have just happened, since no one else seemed to notice. He glanced around to but sure no one was looking as he walked over casually. Extra casually in fact! He glanced left and right as he came upon the item in question and drooped low to snatch it up. Soon as his fingers gripped it he stood straight and hurried to move from the area. It had some weight to it, it might be full of coins!

A soft, jaunty whistle came from his lips as he put a strut in his step like it was a good day. It would be as soon as he found a quiet space to look at his new gain.
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'0"
Alias: tomato

In Mable's mind, the market was almost as nice a place to wander around as the beach was.  They were so different, the market busy and loud with people and warm with life, while the beach was empty and cold in comparison.  But not quiet, almost never quiet; the waves and how sand crunched under Mable's foot made sure of that.

The cobblestone streets echoed random conversations and steps from around Mable, and - a happy whistled tune.  Just barely she could hear it, but it made her smile so widely, she couldn't help looking around for the source.

She found it soon, coming a short and scrawny boy a little ways away from her, walking with confidence and... a purse.  How funny looking!

Bold as brass, Mable strode up to the boy, smiling widely.

"What's that song your whistling?  It sounds so nice!  Is that purse yours?  Or should I call it a bag, since you're a boy...  It looks very heavy!  What do you have in it?"

188 Posts
4 Threads

The voice popping up beside him startled Edward. He immediately clutched it to his chest as he gave her a suspicious look. "What?? I don't know. It's just a tune, it don't got a name. Who are you!?"

He looked her over as he didn't recognize her and tried to start walking quicker to get away. "Yeah, it is mine. And why should I tell you what's in it? Think I'm gonna share?? You should mind your own business!"

He'd run or maybe threaten her, but he didn't want her to tell or anyone to notice and take his ill gotten gains. "Why are you even talking to me?" If she knew what was good for her, she'd be running away.
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

The hostility in this boy's voice was so surprising, Mable's smile fell right off her face.  She was quiet for a moment, digesting his words and thinking about how to respond, all the while increasing her face to stay beside him.

"Well, my name is Mable, that's who I am," she said flatly.  "I'd say it's nice to meet you, but I'm not so sure anymore.  Besides that, I'm talking to you because I liked your little tune, and you looked funny holding that bag like you are."

She looked at it again, how tightly he was holding it and tilted her head.

"I think you're lying about that bag bein' yours, too.  It looks better dressed than you!"  Mable laughed, amused by her own words.  The purse was better dressed than herself, too, but it wouldn't be as funny if she included that bit.

188 Posts
4 Threads

Edward felt some joy in making her frown. She'd take him seriously, he thought. "Well, I'm Edward Seymour. Everyone knows me! You, Mable, don't need to bother people who were having a good day! And my good day is being alone! " And that wasn't true at all. Butshe didn't have to know. She was new it seemed, so she didn't know be usually hung around smaller kids who looked literally up to him and liked his bad influence and he could bully, usually. Kids his age or older knew he wasn't tough or able to handle himself and those in town knew he was a nobody and poor, barely having a roof over their heads. He didn't know what he hated more though, their laughter or their pity.

His annoyed look darkened into a glare as she mentioned the purse wasn't his. He started to move quicker. "Well it was a gift! So lay off. I don't have my nice clothes today! Otherwise it'd match perfect!" He lied and started down an alleyway. She was definitely going to get someone on his back at this rate and he'd lose his money. "Don't follow me!" He said hoping she'd listen.
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Mable soon had to run to keep up next to Edward, and just as soon was skidding to a stop as he disappeared down into an alleyway.  He told her not to follow, but who was he to tell Mable what to do?  She was just trying to make friends, and Edward was so interesting, how could she not talk to him.

"No one likes being alone really," Mable called, following him down the alleyway.  "I don't want your 'gift', I just would like to see!  And listen to more of your tune."

If Edward were a little nicer, or a girl, she'd suggest dancing together to the song.  But he wasn't either of those things, and teasing him like this was, admittedly, a little fun for Mable.  It had been so long since she had talked like this with her own brother, and while this boy was definitely meaner, he was also more entertaining.

188 Posts
4 Threads

Edward flattened back to a wall to stare at her as she'd followed him. He hugged it to his chest and scowled a bit. "I like being alone! It works!" She just wasn't getting it. He made sure no one was looking around then leaned in close and whispered to her sharply.

"You're daft! But fine, I'll let you! But if you tell anyone, I'll take your ear!" He opened the bag in front of her. There was coins! Enough for a new sweater or shoes, easy! But who wants that ? He'll spend it on food! Or maybe a nice little pen knife. It'd definitely make him seem scarier.

He shook his head wondering where her family was. She definitely seemed the type to have one. She was way too naive to be thinking she could be safely alone with him. "It's just a whistle. It isn't like ..a real song. I don't know!" Was she mocking him.
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Daft?  Daft?  This boy was calling her daft!  Mable hadn't a clue what it meant but she didn't like the sound of it at all!  Her face scrunched up even more when he threatened her ear of all things.  Edward really didn't know who he was talking to!  She was a lady, after all, he should have more respect.

When Edward opened the bag, Mable's mouth fell open in shock.  Coins!  And a lot of them, too.  More than she'd ever seen in one place.  Oh, she felt so jealous of Edward's "gift" now, but she pushed the feeling down.  Soon, it would be her turn, and her brother's too.

"I don't know how to whistle," she admitted, "so even so, it's not like I can learn it.  Where did you learn to whistle?  And who gave you this gift?  What do you think you'll do with all the coins?  If I were you, I'd buy a house on the beach!  But you must already have a nice, big house, yeah?  With your nice clothes?"

Mable didn't believe it for a second, but if Edward wanted to play pretend, she wouldn't stop him.  Who was she to judge in that regard, anyway?  Maybe they could play fairies in a pretend mansion on the beach.  Wouldn't that be fun?

188 Posts
4 Threads

Edward rolled his eyes, she was so pathetic! He hugged the purse to his chest as he seemed in thought. "I don't know! Maybe my mum or dad. You just.. pucker up your lips and like.. blow air. And eventually you do it right!" He showed her as he whistled a short tune. It wasn't as cheerful as the other one was, but he didn't exactly think about what he was whistling. "You can't do it. I can't teach you. You just can't whistle maybe..." He shrugged.

She was talking about the gift again and he immediately pulled out some coins and checked his pockets for holes before putting some in the intact pocket. The rest of the purse he hid in his vest. "I got it from... my aunt." He finally said. "For my birthday. Not that it's your business!" He didn't have an aunt that he knew of, and his last birthday was spent much like today. Trying to rob people. He didn't know if his parents even remembered he had a birthday.

For a brief moment, he got angry at her thinking she was mocking his clothes before he remembered he'd just lied about it.

"What? No, if I bought a house, my parents would wanna move in! I'm gonna get food." He realized if he came in with money for food, while they'd take it, if anyone mentioned missing money they would immediately check him. But her... "How about this. I'll be nice." He gave her a big smile and slipped an arm around her shoulders. "I'll buy us both somethin to eat. if anyone asks, it was with your money and we are friends. Alright?" She looked nice and innocent, people would probably believe she was sharing a meal with him. "We are new friends, who'd just met. Right?" He said as he started to lead her back out of the alley. If she wanted any more money, she'd be out of luck. Mable should count her luck he was even giving her the time of day! He was a busy man!
Banned

235 Posts
4 Threads

Edwards sudden change in demeanor surprised Mable, more so when his arm came around her shoulder.  She could hardly say anything as she was lead out of the alley, but she liked the idea of being friends...

"Alright," she agreed hesitantly, "that's fine, but only if we really can be friends.  And you whistle that song again for me later.  Even if you can't teach me, maybe my brother can, but I want to remember it.  I can most certainly whistle, by the way.  Just not yet."

Light and noise hit Mable all at once as they left the alley, and she took the opportunity to remove Edward's arm from her person.  "Happy birthday, if it really is by the way!  What do you wanna get to eat?  I'm not sure what's around here, I usually eat at home, and I'm new to Whitby.  What's your favorite food?  Mine is candy."