Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Home Is Where The Heart Is [Railway Station]

629 Posts
22 Threads

Height: 5'1''

[CW: reference to domestic violence]

Anne bit back her tears as they rolled out of Castleton station. Alice hadn't heeded Tobias' warnings. When they had left the Appleton brothers and Alice had shown her around, Anne had begged and begged her not to provoke her husband anymore. The way her sister had acted during the short, uncomfortable lunch had shocked her. The way she behaved and spoke and the things she talked about generally disturbed her. What had happened to Alice?

Alice had hardly paid attention to her pleas, had even seemed irritated by them. But she had finally agreed to follow her husband's orders while Anne was there so that she could stay. For Anne's sake, she had said.

The afternoon had been more pleasant, if that was the right word. Alice seemed hardly there and utterly miserable, but towards the end of the afternoon, Anne felt she had been able to draw her sister out of her shell a little. She had managed to get Alice to play a few games with her, and there had been at least a few shadows of smiles. Seeing the baby had been uncomfortable, or rather, seeing Alice with the baby had been. Little Emma herself was delightful, but Anne couldn't help but observe that although Alice held the babe in her arms and talked quietly to her, something was missing, though she still struggled to express what it was. Still, he afternoon had given her hope that with time she could help Alice get better. 

And then they had been called for dinner, and Alice had refused to speak when Tobias tried to pull her into the conversation, and then when she did speak, it had been a repetition of the afternoon: she had been impertinent and had seemed hellbent on getting a rise out of her husband.

She had gotten it alright. Tobias had not responded to her during dinner, but that evening he had come to Alice's room while Anne had been there, and he had raged at her. Alice had just glared at him and Anne had been hurt that she had still looked cold when Tobias decreed that Anne would go home. Did Alice care more about provoking her husband than about keeping her sister close? Anne's own tears and pleas had not softened Tobias' heart.

So here she was, fighting the tears while the distance between her and her sister grew. She couldn't shake the uncomfortable question: If this was what happened in front of guests, what happened when there were none? How long before Alice pushed her husband too far? How long before Tobias' angry words turned into a raised hand? A fist? Or had they already? She knew now that Alice would never tell her if they had, and that put more distance between them than the accelerating train.

A single tear rolled down her cheek. She quickly wiped it with her sleeve, lest her travel companion would see.

108 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Height: 6 feet
Alias: BlackAck

Nate was with Anne. A night in his childhood room on a worn out bed surrounded by dusty furniture and boxes had not given him an idyllic sleep. Throw in the raised voices of his brother and sister-in-law, for just tuppence more. What a bloody mess they were. It was probably Toby's fault. So, when the order came for Anne to leave, Nate eagerly volunteered to chaperone her home, to safeguard a young girl yes, but more selfishly, get the hell out of Castleford.. again.

Nate wasn't blind to the effect being torn from her sister had on Anne. "Anne? Are you alright?" Nate asked as the carriage bumped along the track

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne jumped a little when Mr. Nate Appleton addressed her. "Oh, yes..." she quickly wiped her eyes once more, though his question indicated it was already too late. She pulled her attention away from the window and turned to the lawyer with a wan smile. "I'll miss my sister, that's all. Will you stay in Whitby?" From the conversation between him and his brother the previous day, she understood that he did not yet have a place there, so it surprised her that he should go there now.

108 Posts
2 Threads

"Yes, I will. I think it best." Nate answered. A hotel he guessed for the moment, then drop in on this old Dr. Wells and see about a place of his own.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne nodded and smiled awkwardly. It had become clear to her that there was quite a bit of tension between the Appleton brothers, and Anne was beginning to think it was all Tobias' fault. "Don't stay at the Railway Inn," she offered. "Everyone knows stuff gets stolen from there except the tourists who come there."

108 Posts
2 Threads

"As the local expert, where should I stay then?" he asked.

629 Posts
22 Threads

"Oh, uhmmm... I wouldn't say I'm an expert on hotels," Anne said timidly. "I suppose... I've heard the Angel hotel is good, though it might be too fanc-," She reddened. "Not that I think it's above ye!" She did, but it was probably rude to say that.

108 Posts
2 Threads

"I shall try the Angel then, and see if they have a room. If not, I'll have to risk the Railway Inn."

629 Posts
22 Threads

"Oh no, there are other places too," she said quickly. "Uh.. oh! Tobias's stayed at the White Hart Inn. Haven't 'eard 'im complain about that one."

108 Posts
2 Threads

"That sounds nice. If it's cheaper there, I'll check for an open room."