Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Turning a Page [Market, Shops and Spas]

158 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Alias: BlackAck

Ellie placed the boot to be polished on the newspaper. The paper was dated a few days ago, out of date for news, but perfectly acceptable to protect tabletops. The boots were mens, well made, and lightly creased across the toes from wear.  Ellie dipped the rag in polish and slathered the shoe in it. Moving the cloth in circular motions, Ellie got bored and started to read the wanted adverts in the paper, before they were made illegible from dirt. 

Gentleman wanted for stimulating conversation, friendship, tennis partner ... 

For Sale: Border Collie Sheepdog puppies....

For Sale: One brass bedstead...

The next advert intrigued her

Maid needed. One woman and one cat home, easy work. You do not need to be very cultured or literate, but it would help. May need to run errands such as to the market sometimes. I like competency but can work with someone new to the job if they have a nice face. Job seekers may come in to Pennyfeather's Papers for an interview.

Ellie could so do that job. Probably a little old lady in need of assistance.  Surely a quiet old lady would be better than the overbearing employer she had now.  In a uncharacteristically impulsive move, Ellie resolved to go right then and there to the location listed in the advert to see if the job was still available. What did she have to lose?  She quickly removed her apron, and left it hanging over the back of the kitchen chair. She'd just be gone for a little bit.

253 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'4"

Christine had been relaxing at her desk as she was reading a book in boredom, Archimedes napping in her lap as she leisurely pet him. The disappointment when no maid she liked had come calling left her in a sad state. What was so hard in having a cute maid to just pick up after her a little, maybe a tiny bit of cooking? Mostly remind her to take care of her letters and to go to market. That was the moment the bell over her door gave its pleasant chime.

"I'm in the back!" She called out as she wasn't about to get up just to help someone browse for a book.

158 Posts
5 Threads

Ellie had a spot of bother finding the place, but some helpful souls pointed her in the right direction. A bookshop. Volumes in the windows enticing aspiring readers in off the pavement. In hindsight, she had been here before, passing by the shop yet never entering. Why would girl who struggled to read her letters need to be in a bookshop?

The bell above the door chimed, not too unfamiliar from the one at her employers house. A distant feminine response.

"Hello? I'm here about the wanted ad, ma'am." Ellie called back "Is the job still available?" she asked.

Ellie took a moment to soak in the atmosphere of the shop. The place was stacked floor to ceiling with volumes in different coloured bindings. If she were a book lover, she would be in heaven.

253 Posts
4 Threads

"Ah!" Christine became instantly delighted, a young female voice. She gently placed the large fluffy bundle onto the desk and pet him once. "Coming!" She sad as she got to her feet and walked towards the entrance. Her joy faded some as she saw a young lady, younger than she wished but then girls this age did become maids often didn't they? The poor thing was a mess.

"Yes, I am Christine Pennyfeather, this is my shop. And you are here about the ad? What is your name, and tell me your .. ah.. experience as a maid or just what you can do?" She wasn't a woman used to interviewing but she would try. She waved her to follow as she moved through the rows with ease to find her desk at the back of them, her white cat giving her an annoyed look at waking him up. "Sorry Archimedes, it's business." She waved her hand for the girl to sit in the chair opposite her own, it was well embroidered and cushioned for comfort as was her own.

158 Posts
5 Threads

"Yes, ma'am." Ellie answered simply. "My name is Ellie, I mean Elinore Russell, Ma'am." again her answers were official. She did hope to get the job, and knowing her place - not to mention only speaking when spoken to - was part of what was expected of most domestics.

She was led past shelves packed with books to a sort of study area in the back.  There was a similar room in the house of her current employer.  A fluffy ball of a white cat just stared at her in judgement from a corner. Ellie was told to sit, her chair was well filled and covered in rich, dark fabric. Lovely to sit in and it was nice to be off her feet for a minute. Ellie sat as straight as a rod, hands folded demurely in her lap. Her lap! In her rush to leave the house, Ellie had not stopped to consider appearance.  Her uniform and hands were a dusty shade of grey from emptying the ash. What did the rest of her look like?

"I have been a maid of all work for a family in Argle Street for almost a year, Ma'am. Household duties, ironing, cleaning, some laundry, they have a cook, but I'm trying to learn that too."

253 Posts
4 Threads

As soon as Christine had gotten to her chair, she'd sat and studied the girl, Ellie, before her. She smiled slightly though her eyes were looking over the girl. Her clothes were dirty and could use some stitching, her hands were dirty, and that hair! She tsked and shook her head. "Your resume isn't bad. Do you have a place in town to live or did you usually work as a live in maid?"

Her home didn't have much space above the bookstore, but she had a small room that she could definitely have the girl help clean out and set up a simple little bed and maybe a dresser. "And you can go to the market to get things right? I am very bad about leaving the shop, I am a bit lazy I admit."

158 Posts
5 Threads

Ellie paused before answering to study the woman across from her. If the girl were being studied, it was only fair that she study the other too. The older woman was quite attractive with fair skin, dark brown eyes and hair, and from what Ellie could see had a slim figure covered in stylish clothes that were immaculate. The model of a Victorian lady.

"Yes, Ma'am. I live in the Cragg with me family, but I could live in if ye wished." Ellie paused to consider the need for her to run errands to the market. "Yes, Ma'am. If I had a list, I'll happily go out fer whatever ye might need." she answered cheerfully.

253 Posts
4 Threads

While Christine had assumed the girl could read because she had answered the ad, there was always the chance an older sibling or parent had assisted her so she could help pay the bills.

"Well, if you are needed or wish to be at home, I would not keep you. I do not have much need here, but having your assistance any time of the day I wish would be wonderful. You're from the Cragg, you said?" She had heard of it, lots of hard working fishermen and the like if she was correct.

"If you stay here, I will ask you to wear a uniform I would provide for you. Also you will need to bathe. I definitely have a bath that you could use." She would want her clean and maybe using some fancier oils and creams to smooth her skin and give her hair some volume would do wonders for the child. "I am a very easy going employer, I think you will like it here. How much would you expect for work whether you go home or not?" She asked curiously.

158 Posts
5 Threads

Ellie's eyes sparkled at the mention of her own room! Though she loved her family deeply, it was really a simple choice. A space of her own, no matter how small.

"Yes, ma'am. My father works on the fishin' boats. Me mother keeps the 'ouse.. and 'elps with nets, traps, and guttin' the catch. If ye employ me, I'd like to stay 'ere. It's everso crowded at 'ome, ma'am."

The added conditions of a specific uniform and regular baths were not a problem for Ellie. It was like she was being offered a chance for her to achieve her dream: live a better life surrounded by the things she did not have at home. If baths were the price to pay for that... bring on the suds!

The question of wages surprised Ellie. No one ever asked her how much she wanted. "Uh. I'm sure whatever ye offer would be fair."

253 Posts
4 Threads

Christine could see a little joy enter the girl's eyes as she mentioned the future the girl could have as her maid. It was only going to get better if this little bit excited her so. She smiled and leaned forward to rest her elbows on the desk and rest her chin on her palms. "Well, Little Miss Russell. Would you prefer I call you Ellie or Ellinore? I think you've gotten the job. Your first task is to wash up and I will find you a dress to wear. I may have something that will fit you and just need to be taken in a little. And then we will clean out the room that you will be using. After that.."

A little joy seemed to fill the woman's face. "We will go shopping so I may order you more dresses and some shoes that will fit you. If you are to be my servant, you shall look the part. Plus we need to get a bed made. I will have you go home for the day so you have your bed and can gather anything you wish to bring with you. " By then perhaps she could ask one of her lady friends how much they paid maids, she honestly had no idea.