Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] The Old West is Easy Compared to Whitby [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Retired Cowgirl

290 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'4"

The day was actually beautiful so she was outside with Abe looking around as she leaned against the wall and a cane at her side. She had her holster under her light jacket, but she wouldn't tell. Uriel would probably not approve, but she couldn't help herself.

After grabbing the cane, she walked slowly down to check on the chickens when she noticed Noah doing his work. She remembered finding out about him spending some time in jail and frowned. He hadn't come to them for help and wanted to hide it. The corner of her lips turned down as she watched him and cradled her son in her arms closer as she thought in all the ways he could turn out. She decided she could act.

"Noah!" She called out and waved him to come to her. "You want to take a break from chores?" It was clear she meant he'd get a break as long as he stopped to talk to her.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Height: 5'9''

Noah's crutches were against the wall. It had only been a few days, but he was already trying to move his foot without them, so that Mr. and Mrs. Meijer wouldn't think he was weak and might be unproductive longer.

He had just returned from gathering the eggs when he heard Mrs. Meijer calling him. He limped over. "Mornin' Mrs. Meijer. I'm alright. Lot's to do." He avoided looking at the newest member of the family. Every time he looked at the babe, he felt guilt tug at his insides and he couldn't help but wonder.

"Owt I can do fer ye?"
Retired Cowgirl

290 Posts
5 Threads

Kitty squinted as she looked at him, her glance was clearly critical. "Come.. sit with me. Yer foot's still hurting, ain't it? Put the eggs on the table and sit. I want to talk to you a moment." She gestured to the two rocking chairs Uriel had painstakingly made for himself and her. She walked very slowly to take her place and sit in her chair, she hated being so useless but she had gotten used to it in her last months and now.

She delicately stroked back Abe's small lock of hair adoringly and looked out over the view she had of the farm from the porch as she waited for him. The red head could honestly say she'd never imagined a life like this for herself. "Get yerself a glass of water while yer at it!" Her voice rang out to him.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Oh God. She wanted to talk to him. Was this the part where she was going to tell him they needed something more responsible and useful and he should go pack his stuff? Perhaps they'd be willing to keep James at least. "Yes ma'm," he muttered. He limped into the house and returned with two glasses of water, which he set down on the table. Then he sat down in one of the chairs a little nervously. Well... he had learned some stuff about farming. Maybe he could beg for a reference at least. He had come quite far for a Longbottom.
Retired Cowgirl

290 Posts
5 Threads

Kitty looked at him and the water, she took hers and sipped it carefully before placing it. She rocked casually. "Relax, yer too stiff, like yer expectin' somethin. Am I that scary?" She laughed slightly but it was weak. The ex star couldn't wait until she was back to at least her usual lately. "Tell me, Longbottom." It was impossible to not know his family had a little reputation, all the more reason to use it when she was angry, it hit deeper. "Do ya like it here? Are we good at takin care of ya and paying ya fairly?" Uriel was the one really behind giving him the job and paying him, but she'd definitely put in her own money to help with the expenses.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

That only made it harder to relax. "Aye ma'm..." he said nervously. "I'm very grateful for it," he added quickly, in a tone that sounded very much like 'please don't fire me'.
Retired Cowgirl

290 Posts
5 Threads

Kitty looked over at him and frowned. "Then why are ya actin scared like a little lamb in a den of wolves? You don't tell us yer in legal trouble and being blamed for a crime we know you didn't do. You coulda told me. You hurt your foot and like a fool, you keep tryin' so hard. We could get extra help while yer recoverin. What in tarnation you think yer doin by strugglin? I want you healthy again, and if you need a little time to recover, just ask. Long as you don't try ta take advantage of our kindness, we'll listen. You know that...right?" She looked at him. "You think we're monsters who just wanna run you into the ground or something? Or we gonna toss you out over something so little?" It was completely rhetorical, she didn't believe for a moment he'd actually think that way. "I'm happy to have you here, you and James have been great to liven up the place." Of course, his little brother constantly ran off, she wondered if he liked it there.
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

Noah looked up with a mixture of hope and suspicion. Did she actually like having him here? And James? No, that proved she was just being kind. All the same, he appreciated it. "I would never think you and Mr. Meijer monsters, ma'm. Ye've been very kind. I was just afeard... well... Crane was t' only one at the police station who believed me. I was worried ye would think I'd actually done sum't wrong, and with you with t' bairn and all... I thought ye might consider me too much trouble to deal with... I didn't mean to give ye trouble, ma'm."
Retired Cowgirl

290 Posts
5 Threads

Kitty rolled her eyes and sipped some more water to keep herself calm so she didn't raise her voice. "Noah, yer gonna drive me to an early grave. You don't need ta apologize ta me. You've been great on the farm. We're happy having you here. Don't be scared to tell us nothin. Just be honest. Do you know how many times I've ran into trouble with officers in the states? THey don't like women walkin around getting drunk and shooting guns ta impress my fans." She snickered at the memory as she rocked the baby. "You are a hard worker and you've been good to us too. Trust us a little, alrighty?" It was true, she knew he had seen where she kept some of her money for shopping , as she'd asked him to run to the market if Uriel was busy for the day. It made her trust him more.

"You wanna take it easy? I'll even let ya suggest someone to help if you'd like it to be someone ya know."
Belligerent teenager

603 Posts
10 Threads

"You've been-,?!" Then he remembered it was rude to interrupt so he shut up. Mrs. Meijer was a fierce one, but he had a hard time imagining her drunk arguing with officers. It didn't earn her any respect in his books, for a mental image immediately forced its way before his mind's eye of his mother, too drunk to stand, only half dressed in her inebriated state, arguing with a constable while making lewd comments loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear. He could still feel the shame merely remembering it.

"Thank you, Mrs. Meijer," he said, trying to push the uncomfortable memory from his mind. "I suppose James could be more help and we'll be alright. I'm not sure where he ran off to this time, but I can look for 'im and tell 'im to stay."