Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Sometimes Unemployment's Better [Market, Shops and Spas]

135 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'1"

Nisa nodded as she watched her and almost tested the boundary once again but decided against it. "If it does displease you, you have every right to say. I hired you as my maid, not to be handled like a toy."

She listened as she sat calmly and quietly in her seat and watched Briar work. "Well. You are beautiful, but that gave him no right to eye you like a piece of meat or for his wife to punish you when you were the victim. "

She rose her brow and smiled more. She held up her hands towards Briar to take them. "You are a smart woman, just quiet which I enjoy. And I like that you didn't take it. My father in law thought I was easy prey and I was not. My only shame is that he wasn't punished. I severed the connection between us and salted the earth so he'd never return to me. If someone truly deserves your wrath, you do the same."

Not against her, of course. Other people.

32 Posts
0 Threads

When Nisa held out her hands, Briar hesitated. She hadn't asked for her to grab anything, had she?

No, she wanted her hands instead. The maid placed them in hers and then lifted her head to watch her as she spoke.

"Thank you," she said first, voice quiet as she accepted the compliments scattered throughout. Then, "I'm sorry that you were made to be around a person like that. I hope that he gets all that he deserves, some day."

From the way the mistress spoke of her former husband, Briar suspected that his father perhaps already had... but there was nothing wrong in hoping for more. Suffering was as natural as death, and life, and some people deserved their share of it.

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa held the maid's hands in hers. They were rougher than her own from work and warmer. She squeezed them gently for a moment then loosened her hold so that the other could pull her hands free at any moment. The words had the smaller woman smile as she looked up at her.

"Thank you. I do hope every day that he suffers the worst the world can provide. I am grateful to your understanding."

She had done all she could to make him suffer, unlike the rest, she let him live so that it wouldn't end.

"And thank you again for answering my call for a maid. We just met but I have a feeling you may be what I've been searching for." Her eyes met Briar's wondering if the woman would be quick to look away.

32 Posts
0 Threads

Briar did not rush to avert her gaze as she had before -- in fact, she met Nisa's stare easily this time, and didn't dare to look away.

"Thank you for giving me the chance, miss," she gave in return. "I will do my best to be everything you need."

The mistress had such delicate hands. She was surprised by the power they must have held, evidenced by the bloody mess she'd just cleaned up. Brushing her thumbs over Nisa's, she pulled her hands away and moved to finish preparing their tea.

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa looked delighted when Briar kept facing her. She nodded slightly.

"You've earned a chance. And I do hope to be everything you need as well."

Her delicate brow rose slightly at the thumb movement and she watched her maid with a strange intensity. Every movement the other woman made as she prepared the tea was studied as Nisa sat quietly, her hands folded neatly on her lap.

Just before the tea could be done, she stood and slipped behind the other. Nisa leaned in and lightly brushed back a lock of hair from her ear as she spoke softly but close enough to tickle with her breath. "I do mean it. Anything you need, do not hesitate to ask."

She released instantly and stood straight with a curious look .

32 Posts
0 Threads

Briar had the outward air of a very serious woman.

While humor was not lost on her, and she delighted in things as much as anyone else, she did so in her own muted fashion. Carefree laughter, entertainment, interests -- such were things for other people, and that had never bothered her.

She turned once the mistress stepped away, fixing her own inquisitive gaze upon her.

"You have already provided me with everything I need," she answered honestly. But, just as genuine, she continued, "if there is anything more, it will be because you want to, not because you need to."

As much as she appreciated the implication of that offer, she was hardly driven by such things. If the mistress ever wanted her closer, she hoped it would be because she liked her well enough, and not because she simply felt it necessary to keep her as a maid.

"How do you like your tea, miss?"

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa looked mildly disappointed at the reaction but sat as before. "A touch of honey and feel free to enjoy your tea as you wish."

She brushed out a few imaginary wrinkles from her skirt. "I make an offer because of my interest. But if I say anything specific, I worry you'd feel burdened that it was a demand. That is why I specify what you want. If you are fully satisfied. Than I am pleased and things will be as they are." She said simply but retained a light smile.

She would not be one of those unsightly types who would make someone who worked for her feel like they had to do things to please her that was not part of her j9b. Even she had her limits.

32 Posts
0 Threads

A touch of honey. Briar turned and finished up their tea, adding a touch of honey to Nisa's and doing the same to her own. She wasn't sure how she liked her tea; she never had much of an opportunity to have any.

Holding Nisa's cup, she took a step closer and held it out to her.

"You are very beautiful, Miss Koç," she said, just as serious as before, "and I am lucky to have your interest. I just do not wish to rush and lose this opportunity that I have with someone as lovely as you."

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa took the cup and held up a hand to gesture for Briar to stop.

"It was merely a misunderstanding. Don't make it into anything that needs apologizing. And you should recognize that your job is safe. You were not required to do more than I asked so don't waste words to flatter me unnecessarily. I appreciate the attempt to soften the blow, but it is truly fine. Do your job and you always have a place here. It is that easy. I assure you."

She wanted to frown in her embarrassment. She read far too much in a little touch and humiliated herself, but she had the etiquette to recognize it as her own fault. Maybe she wasn't as pretty as she was when she got married? Were her looks fading so fast? Maybe her maid didnt like women strongly enough she had to refuse to her face like this?
Ugh, she wanted to go up to her room and do something to distract herself. Instead, she sat politely and smiled to Briar as she sipped her tea.

"Excellent tea."

32 Posts
0 Threads

At that, the maid's expression changed. Brow furrowed, eyes downcast to watch the steady rise of steam from the teacup in her hands.

She did not fill the silence left after Nisa's swift assurance. She did nothing at all, not even daring to sip at her tea.

Only once the mistress commented on the drink did she say, "I think I must have said something wrong."

Finally Briar lifted her gaze, and the shift revealed that her expression was one of concern more than anything else -- that she had been trying to find the right words, rather than leave them both in silence.

"I was not trying to flatter you," she admitted. "I am concerned that if I do not refuse you, I might like you more than a woman of my status should."

Nisa had, thus far, been very compassionate and kind to her. She was beautiful, too, like starlight in the sky of her dark mourning dress. She might lower herself temporarily to find entertainment in a maid, but Briar did not want to lose this job because of any feelings of her own that might stir.

She bowed her head, apologetic, and then took a sip of her tea.