Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Sometimes Unemployment's Better [Market, Shops and Spas]

135 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'1"

Nisa nodded as the maid spoke and looked to her. She paused at the uncertainty. "I do hope you don't want a family because it is expected for you to. I had a husband and I can tell you he was very underwhelming. I am willing to help you have your dreams come true since you are helping me. Perhaps you can come up with new dreams along with hobbies ."

She looked towards her violin. "Maybe you have some natural talent. "

32 Posts
0 Threads

Had a husband, she said. That confirmed that.

Briar shook her head, and her smile looked almost sheepish.

"Not that kind of family," she adjusted. "I wouldn't make a good wife."

Nor was she particularly keen on finding a husband. A family, though -- it didn't have to be a husband and a child. It didn't have to be about love or bloodlines. It could be a young mistress with a secret she was sworn to protect, in time.

"Oh," Briar followed Nisa's gaze to the violin. "I doubt it, miss. Not like you do, that is. Would... it be alright if I watched you practice, when you do?"

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa gave her a smile. "You are a lovely, well behaved lady. I think you'd make a wonderful wife to the right man. But I am happy keeping you all to myself. " The smaller woman eyed her and considered how valuable a good maid was. How good any loyal woman was, there was no price high enough for such a thing.

"You doubt yourself so much " She reached out to lightly brush her fingers against the woman's cheek. "You never know until you try. " She pulled her hand back slowly. "You can always watch me do anything. I'll play if you wish, just ask. As long as you have no chores to do."

32 Posts
0 Threads

"Thank you, miss," Briar said, for the compliment was a nice one, even if she cared little about being a good wife.

The touch to her cheek widened her eyes, if only for a moment. This woman who, reasonably, Briar knew she should have been afraid of, was instead turning out to be one of the kindest people she'd met in a while. In... forever, even.

"That is very kind of you," she said with a little dip of her head. "Is there anything you wish for me to do now?"

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa nodded in reply to the thanks.

She caught the reaction and a little thrilled smile slipped through. She hadn't pulled away, even though she was surprised. Nisa found her curiosity only grow.

"I can be very kind to the right people. And you are quickly growing on me. " The question had her hum for a moment in thought.

"Make us both something to drink. And I will give you a tour of the house. We did not get far past the bathroom when you arrived. "

32 Posts
0 Threads

Oh -- she smiled. Briar had seen the mistress smile already, but that had seemed more to her like the polite gestures given for the sake of presenting one's self as approachable. Learned, rather than innate. This time, though, Briar thought it looked genuine.

"I'm glad to hear it, miss," she offered in response. Lifting from the loveseat, she cast another glance around the room.

"Of course," said Briar, "where is the kitchen?"

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa watched her rise then put a hand to her own cheek in embarrassment. "Ah. Of course. " She rose and stepped towards Briar and placed a hand on her back to delicately guide her towards a door. "Right this way." She led her to a humble but well cared for kitchen. "This is it. " she opened cabinets and drawers to show her where everything she could need for tea would be.

She leaned towards the counter beside Briar and eyed the tall maid. "Is there anything else you need?"

32 Posts
0 Threads

Briar was a little startled by the touch at first, but relaxed just as soon as the mistress guided her out of the room and to the kitchen.

"Ah- thank you," she dipped her head. Once Nisa had moved away, the maid began preparing tea.

"No, miss, this should do," said Briar. "I'm a quick learner, too. You won't have to show me twice, once I've seen the rest of the house."

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa held up her hand when Briar looked startled. "Sorry. I'll be sure not to again. I won't make you uncomfortable. " She would try not to scare this one away. She took to cleaning up so quickly.

"Wonderful. I love a brilliant mind that doesn't require me to repeat myself or remind you. But do not hesitate to ask. I can be forgiving when I chose to be." She took a seat and watched her make the tea. She did seem very competent. Why was this woman not hired? "How many other households have you worked for? And may I ask why you were let go or left?"

32 Posts
0 Threads

"It's not a problem miss," Briar quickly assured, "I was just startled is all."

No, she didn't mind the contact. Most people didn't get close enough to touch her at all, and those that did weren't typically the people that she wanted that close.

While she waited for the water, she grabbed two cups and set them out. Ordinarily she wouldn't have anything herself... but Nisa had specifically said to make them both something to drink. Briar brought her hands together, resting loosely at the front of her skirts.

"Quite a few," she admitted. "The last lady I worked for accused me of seducing her husband. I hadn't, but she did not like the way he looked at me."

Briar hadn't particularly liked it either.

Others had accused her of theft, and others still had found one reason or another to dislike her and remove her from their staff. She didn't suppose those were good things to tell her new employer, so she said, "I've been hired by a lot of people who thought that I was unintelligent, and who thought that it would be easy to mistreat me. I was fired because it was not."