Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [Open] [CW] Clamming Up [Hotels, Pubs, and Accommodations]
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'0"

The Diamond Pony was good money. Good enough for nice dresses, someone to do her hair, and enough cosmetics to paint on a whole new face. It did not change that she was a small redhead, but it gave enough pause that those outside her family might not immediately assume her fall.

True to her letter, ‘Ruby Sterling’ had a pearl necklace about her neck. She sat primly like a lady, rather than the slouched fishwife Elijah would have seen far more of.

She wasn’t sure about this. She wasn’t sure about anything, really. Much as she wanted Alice’s respect … this sitting and waiting, this thinking of a modest domestic life made her no less nervous than the Pony’s gilded walls.

So, she would give this fellow a chance. Impotent, perhaps, or otherwise infertile. Or maybe possessed of inclinations similar to hers. If he didn’t mind her making her own money, then perhaps it was a deal.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

He was terrified. What if his letters weren't as abstract as he hoped and they would try to blackmail him? He took a few deep breaths before going in. He wanted to believe that there was nothing to prove it and it was vague enough. His gloved hands rubbed together, and then he went inside. Slowly he looked around the place and found the woman with a pearl necklace. It matched, she looked young enough and seemed to be waiting. He immediately became more nervous but walked over. She looked very familiar, he was sure he'd met her before. "R.S?" He said, his voice dropping to barely more than a whisper.
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

While there may have been too many Wards to keep track of, there were not so many not-quite-adopted constables that Elijah walking in did not feel like a nightmare.

At first, she avoided his gaze. Would he recognize her? Tell her family? Use this against her and eke out a ‘freebie’?

Oh, oh God. She hoped the fellow she was meeting didn’t show up. What was it he’d said? Something odd, about gloves. Something she’d filed away immediately as ‘bizarre fetish’.

Her gaze shot to Elijah’s hands. Elijah’s perpetually gloved hands.

Oh. Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no this couldn’t be happening.

Lory smiled politely when Elijah stood by her, finally letting her eyes raise once more.

“Ruby,” she said, holding out her gloved hand for him to kiss. “Pleased to meet you.”
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah saw the woman meet his eyes and immediately look away. Oh. He knew he had warned them he didn't have the looks so he was sure she wouldn't expect much but that still hurt. Or maybe it was the uniform? He was taking a break on the job to do this and it would have been discovered quickly enough.

He rose a brow as she offered her hand and took it gently and gave a little polite nod before sitting down. "I am Elijah. I am sorry if this is rude but I swear I've seen your face before. I can't place it though. Maybe it is stress, but I'm also definitely certain I don't know a Ruby. You must have one of those faces." He tried to have a friendly smile but even he could tell it failed by how nervous he was.

"Ah, if I am not what you were looking for we can just drink tea so it doesn't look suspicious and go our separate ways and pretend it didn't happen." He has quickly added so that the young woman wouldn't have to attempt any excuses.
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Her smile didn’t change, but it was a relief that he skipped the usual slimy kiss-up.

“I am so sorry for your stress, Elijah.”

Each word was punctuated, deliberate, the preferred tumble of the waves over her words filed anew into sharp, refined edges.

“I get that a lot,” she smiled, and folded her hands under the table.

Her hands fretted out of sight, but her head stayed high and regal.

“Is there a gunman behind you?” she asked, sounding quite serious. “Are you here of your own accord, or is someone threatening you?”

‘Ruby’ let herself smile playfully at that. By some strange miracle, the poor thing was even more nervous than she was. It meant she felt far too bad for him to flee, but at least he didn’t seem violent thus far.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah glanced at her and started to wonder if this was a scam. She spoke like a lady to talked to people professionally. It made him more nervous and he held the tea cup but it was hard to keep it steady.

The words had him look surprised and he glanced behind him then back at her. "No? I am here because I seriously need a wife. I told myself I'd never get married but things have happened recently. I-I am sorry that I am sort of looking more for a friend that I hap.. happen to be married to more than an actual wife. If you understand.." He said, his voice growing quieter as he spoke and his eyes fell to his hands.
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

Her fingers wove about her pearls, looking about as worldly in that moment as any other young, nineteen year old woman. She caught herself, and tucked her hands under the table once more.

“I am much in need of a friend,” Ruby said, punctually. “There are many reasons, and many ways that marriage is a struggle for men and women both. What is your opinion of the Women’s Suffrage Movement, sir?”
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah was surprised by the topic and glanced up surprised. "What? Oh...well.. I believe it's important. Women should be able to vote. Personally. I've met plenty of women who were as smart as any man."
The Diamond Pony

159 Posts
8 Threads

“And being dumb as bricks has never prevented a man from living his best life,” she lilted off pleasantly. “What about property rights?”
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah nodded, "Exactly. There are plenty of men out there that I think shouldn't have more value to their vote than any woman." He tilted his head and looked away uncertainly. "Well that is more complicated. I mean, I believe whatever anyone earned themselves, they should be allowed to keep. It gets complicated when married, especially with children as usually women aren't able to work and earn money themselves since they are so busy at home and with the children for at least a while. So I think at least when necessary in a marriage that the money should be lumped together to be used by both equally. "

He carefully cradled the tea, picking his words carefully while being completely unprepared. "And when either side should sadly pass, that the money should go to the other. If there are children, it's more complicated so I think if there wasn't a fair will, that while the wife or husband should get a majority of the money, and if there is enough left to go to make sure the children are raised well and possibly have a fair start . But... I mean I haven't truly thought about it deeply. Please tell me your opinion." He said softly, a little nervous he said the wrong thing.

He tried to lighten the mood by smiling weakly. "I mean unless you answered my ad to marry me and kill me for my money. But I don't think i have enough to really be worth the risk."