Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] New to Town and I've Got Things To Do [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]

154 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/her
Height: 5'4"

It was time for confession when a young woman entered the church. She had double checked several times after getting off the train to make sure it was the correct St. Hilda's. She stepped into the booth but said nothing at first. It was impossible to see through the dark little screen, but she was sure he was the only one who could be on the other side.

"Yes, father, I am here to confess. But it isn't my own sin.." She leaned back against the wall and stared into the darkness. "I am confessing the sins of my uncle. A rude man who goes to a new town and doesn't invite me immediately even though it feels like months since I last saw him face to face. I have traveled so far and I have yet to find him. Please, tell me what I should tell him to do."

If it turned out she had been wrong, she'd be red in the face the rest of the day, but she was just certain it was her uncle on the other side and smiled in excitement for his reaction.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

A pale hand slid the panel from the grate, uncovering it. A woman's voice reached through it, youthful and somehow familiar, to neglect the greetings Malachi knew and offer something of more interest instead.

"I am confessing the sins of my uncle."

And that was when it clicked.

Malachi felt his eyes widen in the darkness of the confessional. Felt his head turn for them to peer through the grate, though he saw little more than a blur of blonde hair. When had Nettie come to Whitby? And more importantly, why hadn't she told him first? He would have made sure that a proper place was prepared for her in town, somewhere nice, and he would have found something in the markets for her, and--

There was no use in worrying about it now. She was here, and Malachi would not send her away. He was only grateful that the church had emptied, for it had always been difficult for him to maintain the serenity of his priestly demeanor when he was given the chance to see her. That is to say: by the time she finished speaking, he had already given up on any sincere attempt to respect the rules of confession.

"I see," acknowledged Malachi with a nod. "That is a truly reprehensible sin, I'm afraid. Nothing to be done for him."

Already moving to exit the booth, he continued with flourish, "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit..."

Malachi stepped out. His hair was somewhat shorter since the last time he'd seen Nettie (though still a little longer than some of the men around Whitby kept theirs), but apart from the nearly-faded bruise at his collar, he looked much the same. Hardly had any reason to change his wardrobe, after all.

He finished with, "...step out, please, I've missed you dearly."

154 Posts
3 Threads

That is a truly reprehensible sin, I'm afraid. Nothing to be done for him.

She nodded and almost clicked her tongue in agreement but the smile on her face was huge. Before he could even ask her to leave, she was opening the door and moved forward to envelope him in a hug. There had been no one when she went in and so she didn't worry too much for his image. Besides, who would fault a priest for hugging a family member?

She stepped back to look up at him, her face radiated joy at seeing him. "I wanted to surprise you." The young woman looked him over and touched his hair in surprise. "You cut it! Oh, it looked so nice before..but I guess this one is more... professional?" She pouted but then couldn't keep the sad face. Her excitement at seeing Malachi just flowed through her as she had trouble standing still.

"When will you be done here? I want to talk but I know you are so..." she looked around the empty church and shrugged with a little smile. "Busy. You must be here in case any one comes at the last minute needing your guidance. " She was tempted to make him ditch but she had complete respect for him and would never ask her uncle to do such a thing, of course if he wanted to do it on his own , Nettie wouldn't dare stop him.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Had there been others present in the church... Malachi still wouldn't have cared. There were only so many things he could concern himself with, and keeping Nettie at a distance for the sake of propriety was not one of them. His devotion to the people he served was immense, but for all the love he had for them, his niece was perhaps the only person that had ever had any love for him in turn. He liked to think that she did, anyhow, and that alone was enough to sway him from bothering too much with professionalism.

Nettie had been a part of his life since before that professional veil had even existed. He would not hide from her.

Malachi returned her embrace easily. As easily as he smiled, too, once she'd stepped away enough that he could see her face. Almost instinctively, he leaned down to allow her to inspect his hair as she wished, and said, "I was told to, yes."

That about conveyed his feelings on the matter. He would not deny that its current length was more presentable, and closer to what was expected of a priest's appearance. To him, it was... fine. Nothing more. Just fine.

"Ah," Malachi straightened up. "Not to worry. I haven't seen you in too long, and if anyone is truly in need, Father Richards can assist them."

Perhaps not with a confession, but who said they couldn't wait a bit? Malachi's smile softened as he looked at her, and he gestured to the door.

"Let's go for a walk?"

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie was looking up when he mentioned having to cut his hair. Her lips turned into a thin, disapproving line at that. She then let go of his hair and smiled again and touched his cheeks turning his head more playfully. "Qell, it'll grow back. Until then everyone gets to enjoy the face of one of the sweetest people in all of England!"

She laughed in such a good mood and was even more delighted to see he'd leave with her and nodded. "Sounds wonderful." The woman gave a little oh sound as of She almost forgot something and moved back towards the confessional where beside the door sat her carpet bag.

"I was sort of hoping as we would walk, you could point out a better place to stay. I picked one of the first ones I saw after I got off the train and..." she shrugged looking away embarrassed. "I would like a place that might be a bit quieter."

She walked up to him and gave a little nod. "I am all ready to go." The blond leaned up on her toes, closer to his height and delicately nudged his arm in comraderie, which she always had with her uncle who had been more of a father figure. "I am really so happy to see you again. I don't want you to be gone so long. Even if you're working. All the more reason to have your niece here to support you."
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

It always struck him as a surprise each time she spoke of him so kindly, even after all the time he'd spent with her. More than half of his life, and all of hers, yet her fondness still felt unwarranted. Like he was unworthy of it, though he did his best to be otherwise and did not mention such things aloud.

"Of course," granted Malachi, in response to her request regarding housing. Given the embarrassed look that had graced her features, he could only imagine which establishment Nettie had first sought for shelter, and... he did not judge anyone for their preferences, if that was what they liked, but he did not want his niece staying in the Diamond Pony.

Oh, God. Maybe it had been somewhere else. He hoped for it, anyway.

Once Nettie had retrieved her bag and returned to his side, Malachi offered another smile and nudged her arm back. It did not take anything more than a glance to know that the two of them shared no blood, and the sight of a priest and a young woman so close was perhaps not ideal, but he did it all the same. He led her to the door, and said, "I'm happy to see you too, Nettie. I should have invited you to come sooner, but it has taken me a bit longer to... adjust, here."

That was one way to put it. His parish here was... unique, and he had been somewhat distracted since--

Malachi adjusted his collar to better cover the mark.

"How have you been?" he inquired as they stepped outside. "And how long are you planning on staying?"

154 Posts
3 Threads

Nettie had been mostly raised by the man before her, so he taught her well. Still, she would never tell him about the place she stayed at. It was perfectly fine over all. She had no trouble getting her room and it seemed clean enough and secure but oh... She thought she would lose her mind hearing what the couple in the room next door were up to all night. Just remembering the sounds made her very embarrassed all over again.

With the handle of her bag in both hands, the blond gripped it and perked up looking very excited to see the small town with her uncle. Her head turned to face him and she looked up with large eyes. "You really should have invited me. I think you'd have adjusted faster with me here, it would feel more like home. Besides, I would be here to give you my support and you would have someone you could relax around. I know how hard you try." Her smile shrank but it was warm and genuine. She wanted him to do well and have a place he could stay and call home.

She walked with him towards the door and opened it for him, without others to judge, she didn't care about what was 'polite'. "Oh, I am good. Nothing too new, how about you?" His niece turned quickly in place and pulled up the bag almost to her chin, giving him a very mischievous smile. "Well, that depends. How long will you be here?" She rose her brow in amusement to see his reaction.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

She spoke the truth, of course. It would have been easier to adjust to life in Whitby with her around, but he hadn't known as much when he'd arrived. He'd spent time in places far more obviously dangerous than this, though, and had long ago started worrying about her safety during her visits. One could never be too careful in a new town -- especially when one was a young woman. He did not need the years he'd spent hearing confessions to know that.

Malachi dipped his head in silent thanks when the door was opened for him. The air outside was warm and smelled faintly of the sea, along with the earthier scent of soil freshly rained on. It was clear, save for a few fluffy clouds now and then, and a gentle breeze kept him from getting too hot in his dark clothes.

Catching sight of Nettie's smile, Malachi gave a curious hum, indicative of his own amusement.

"For as long as they'll have me. I like it here," he admitted, to himself as much as to her.

"Time will tell if Whitby likes me as much. For now, though, I plan to stay. And I'll be glad to have you here."

Even if he would worry for the next while until she settled in. It was another of his duties, though, was it not? He had always found his brother rather incapable of such concerns, and someone had to make sure she was safe.

Malachi started down one of the paths away from the church, walking leisurely.

"I've been... well," he added, sounding somewhat uncertain. With a glance to her bag, he asked, "is that heavy? I can take it for you."

154 Posts
3 Threads

A small smile remained when he nodded to her and passed. He had to act so reserved for his career, it sometimes made her wonder how he managed. The beautiful weather outside caught her attention briefly and she took a deep breath enjoying the smell of the sea. "Well, then that's that, isn't it? I should look for a semi permanent place here because I am staying as long as you are."

His hope to stay had her nod and look happier. "Then I hope it does. It's high time you had a place you could really call home. And if they don't love you, they don't deserve you. Too many people haven't given you a chance and have missed out on something really special." Her own family included, but then they were negligent to her as well so it was fitting they wouldn't know how to treat him either.

"I'm going to be close by so you can see me any time. And I will be visiting you whenever your job isn't keeping you busy until I know you have settled in and are welcomed like you should." She said in return.

"You don't sound well, if there is trouble you can tell me. But I won't pry. You're an adult, uncle, so you can handle things when you want to but I'm glad I came when I did. Just wish I'd been here earlier." She looked pleased with herself as she walked slowly with him, looking around as they walked. "Hm?" She smiled at him. "It's not that bad. You have been busy all day, and I'm making you work still by showing me around. The least I can do is carry my own things." Nettie spoke in her constant cheerful mood before suddenly remembering something and looked to him.

"If I'm being here a while, I was thinking of getting a job. Something casual, like being a seamstress. I can take customers just when I want to. That sort of thing. What do you think?"
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Malachi had spent much of his life alone. In his youth and on, into his adulthood, he had lived his life on the wrong side of the glass, always watching the world outside without taking part in it. Nettie was... a bridge. Or rather, a fracture in the glass, that at least allowed his voice to be heard through it. Having her around again in any capacity was a welcome thought.

She would certainly need to find that semi-permanent residence she talked about, though. Whatever unsavory establishment had provided more temporary shelter would not cut it in the long run.

"This is not work," insisted Malachi. "I would much rather be walking here with you."

Was it befitting of a priest to say so? He supposed not; his loyalties should have been first with his holy duties, but it was far from the first time he'd neglected them.

Malachi turned his head at the mention of her finding work, however. His first thought was that something must have happened, that Levi must have ruined the business, or that his mother had finally spent the last of the money -- but Nettie did not sound as if the question came from a place of need. He directed their path down a side street and then back onto the main path.

"I think you would do well at it," he said first, considering the question seriously. "If it's something you want to do, then you should. Is that the sort of thing you'd have a shop for, or are you thinking of doing it from your home?"