Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] A Shit Job [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Obnoxious child

567 Posts
8 Threads

James watched from his hiding space behind a table in a dark back of the corner of the pub. Uh. Would Ruth be angry if he lost her kids? At least she wouldn't need to feed them, right? The priest was called 'Father', so he was probably used to kids anyway.

James looked around. No one had noticed him. The two gentlemen two tables down where staring at the interaction between the constable and the priest. The pocket of the man closest to him was open and a fancy silk handkerchief stuck out.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Malachi didn't like the way this fellow looked at him. He considered, briefly, looking him up and down in return -- but he didn't.

"Father Brennan," he supplied. "No, I haven't found her yet. I found the children on their own in the street, and I was hoping to return them to her."

295 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 6'

Wesley looked at him suspiciously before plastering a smile on his face. "Ah, the new priest at St. Hilda's, the scarecrow mentioned you." He nodded before looking around. "Well she hasn't said anything. Are you certain she's even here? Or do you know her name?"
Obnoxious child

567 Posts
8 Threads

"That's Longbottoms alright, leavin' their babes in the street like that!" the barman commented. Then he frowned and looked around. "Hey. Where's that wee lad gone?" He raised his voice: "If that kid causes trouble in my-,"

A shout in the back of the pub interrupted him. One of the gentlemen pulled James up by the ear. "Here he is! Tried to steal my handkerchief, constable!" He moved to the front pulling James along by the ear.

"I was just tucking it in, for ye!" James protested with one eye shut.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

Scarecrow... right. He talked to inanimate objects. The constable was clearly a loon.

Malachi opened his mouth to respond, but his focus strayed to the commotion at the other end of the bar.

Shit. He guessed the kid must've went over there.

His lips pressed into a line, he watched as the boy was dragged by the ear towards them. Without a moment's hesitation, Malachi grabbed the boy by the shoulders and pulled him away from the outraged patron.

"It is not a crime to tuck in someone's handkerchief," he said, regardless of the fact that this kid had most definitely been trying to steal it. Looking back to the constable, he continued, "perhaps we should talk outside?"

295 Posts
3 Threads

Wesley rose his brow at the kid as he was pulled over and grinned slightly. "Longbottom, hm?" He was surprised when the priest pulled the boy over and frowned.

"Fine, we can speak outside. Since the mother isn't here." He walked with him outside, keeping a close eye on them. He was wondering if Crane was a fool to speak so fondly of this guy? "You should give me one good reason to not take them in so they could be processed."
Obnoxious child

567 Posts
8 Threads

James' ear hurt and he dreaded what the constable might do to him even more. But suddenly the priest stepped in and freed him. James stuck close to him, despite having mistrusted him earlier. In the current situation, the priest seemed to pose the smallest danger.

When they came outside, the youngest infant was crying. Several people had stopped there business and were watching, but no one seemed willing to approach. When the infant's brother saw the constable, he too brought his hands up to his eyes and began to cry. "Maaaammy...!"

James's lip quivered.
False Idol

895 Posts
20 Threads

"Shh, it's alright," quietly comforted Malachi, reaching out a hand to touch the crying boy's shoulder while his other held steady on James'.

He turned a blank look to the constable.

"Processed for what?" he asked, voice flat. "Are you going to arrest an infant?"

295 Posts
3 Threads

Wesley hated the sound of the crying but stood firm with a calm smile stuck on his face. He rose his brow at the priest and slowly rose his brow. His smile grew slightly as he almost laughed.

"Of course not! Who would do such a thing? No no, I would process them as neglected and possibly abandoned children. Even this lad is too young to be wandering around like this, and taking care of these two. We would hold them for a day or so to see if their guardians would show up. If not..."He shrugged. "There is a lovely orphanage in York perfect to raise them right. You know, actually be there and keep them safe."
Obnoxious child

567 Posts
8 Threads

James had swallowed back his tears and was working on an escape plan, when he heard what the constable had in storefor him and his nephew and niece. An orphanage was better than the reformatory they had stuck one of his brothers in, but it still sounded awful.

"I ain't goin' to no orphanage! Me parents are alive and there's the Meijers lookin' after me. They can look after Ruth's bairns too!"