Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] What's Love Got to Do With Anything? [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

134 Posts
9 Threads

Pronouns: She, her
Height: 5'2"

She could do worse, she thought as she peered at him. Her mouth turned upward ever so slightly and she decided to just go for it. "I don't know yet how I feel about this situation, but consider this a reply. Would you consider courting me?" She tilted her head.

108 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Height: 6 feet
Alias: BlackAck

"Excuse me?" Nate recoiled at the suddenness of the suggestion. He turned to the housekeeper as if to check that she heard the same words.

134 Posts
9 Threads

"With all due respect, you have an advantage with me as opposed to someone who answers your advert by mail. You already know what I look like. You know how much I'd be worth. I am not a toad, am I?" She crossed her arms and finally seemed to show some backbone for herself. She didn't know if it was the newfound independence or what, but she was going to state her case, by god.

"We would have ninety days to decide if we are compatible, yes? We could get to know one another in that time. It would be proper. I want it to be more than just a marriage of convenience but it would serve both of our purposes either way."

108 Posts
2 Threads

In Nate's mind, a strange court case was being held. On one side of the hypothetical court stood the barrister for the crown, in this case represented by Miss Mason, dressed in legal attire. She certainly was no toad here. Her case was clear, her evidence logical....

Back in the living room...

"I fear the emotions of the moment may be clouding your judgement, Miss. A marriage is based on trust, affection, and mutual respect. We have none of those things at present."

134 Posts
9 Threads

"Ahh, but that is what courtship is for. We become friends, we spend time getting to know one another and learning what there is to learn, and then if you are not satisfied by the ninety days... Well, I am just going to have to forfeit the money. I wouldn't hold it against you, I would simply move on to a new job and carry on with my life. I am not asking you to marry me, Mister Appleton. I am asking you to give us a chance to find out. And you don't have to answer outright, you could think about it if that is what you really need." And then she took a deep breath and went on, "You're willing to take a chance on someone you've never met, why not someone you have?"

108 Posts
2 Threads

It was a prima facie case. She would be wealthy, willing, and not hideous. Not to mention this would give him some ammunition in his familial battle with Toby.

"I do have my misgivings about this endevour, but your case is a compelling one, Miss."

134 Posts
9 Threads

That was when she smiled genuinely for the first time. She had a lovely smile and her eyes lit up like silver under the sun. She offered her hand for a shake, "Do we have a deal that you at least ponder over it?" Her eyes even danced a little then and she left her hand up until he either took it, or he said no. The worst he could do was say no, and that would mean she'd have to search. Lord help her, she thought.

108 Posts
2 Threads

"I suppose." Nate answered, he did not miss her wide smile and bright eyes. Whether he wanted to or not, Nate found himself smiling too. "Give me today to really think about it. I'll let you know on the morrow." Nate answered, his voice lapsing noticeably there at the end betraying his local roots.

134 Posts
9 Threads

She nodded in agreement and then took in a breath, expelling it softly through her nostrils. "As you say," she murmured and then pulled the bell-pull. Jenkins, the butler, appeared with his eyes guarded. "Please see Mister Appleton out, and then gather everyone again so I might speak to you all." And that was that.