Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Building a narrative [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

188 Posts
3 Threads

There was no reason for Gareth to do this anymore. He had money now and considered himself a gentleman. He had used the money earned by his horrid little adventure on nicer rooms with a landlady to cook his meals and clean for him, as well as on fancy clothes and a gramophone just because he could buy it. He had invested a large part and used the rest to live comfortably. There really was no need to keep working for the Whitby Gazette and write up juicy gossip - except that he just loved all the gossip. And so he just couldn't help diving into the Carringtons' dirty linen. He could not resist this story about scandal and intrigue, forbidden love, crime and murder, when it had been dangled right in front of his nose.

He had been respectful enough to give it a few days, only writing an article with the obvious facts that the police too had communicated to the public: That Magnus Carrington had been shot dead in a brothel. That it had turned out he was a murderer with a yet unknown number of victims. That the man who was suspected of shooting him had been arrested. Like the police, he hadn't mentioned Miss Pearl's involvement, nor that of her apparent sweetheart. 

It had either been respect, or the fact that he had needed a few days to process everything that had happened and stop wetting his bed at night. 

But the public had a right to know! And so he had dressed in his old, less fashionable clothes, and made his way to the terraced house at Osway street that Pearl's 'friend' had indicated. He had done his homework - that was, collected gossip - as he always did before he went to speak to interviewees. He knew the name of the family who lived there, knew that one son was stationed in India, knew that one daughter had recently returned home with a baby and without a husband, and knew that this Joe fellow had recently lost his job at the train station, though nobody seemed to know why, and Gareth was absolutely riveted.

Once he reached the doorstep of – Osway street, Gareth flattened his hair, straightened his tie and jacket, knocked and took a step back.

325 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Alias: BlackAck

Lottie wiped her hands on her apron as she walked to the door, who could this be, she wasn't expecting company. She opened the door and cast a sceptical eye over young man in a worn jacket with high cheekbones. He looked younger than Joe! Probably a travelling salesman selling some magical elixir to polish her floors and improve her marriage...

"Yes?"

188 Posts
3 Threads

"Hello," Gareth greeted, giving the woman a pleasant smile. He assumed she was the mother. He might need her later. "I was looking for Mr. Joe Blacke. Is he in?"

325 Posts
3 Threads

"No. He's out. If yer 'ere ta talk to 'im about work, you'll 'ave ta come back."

188 Posts
3 Threads

"Oh." That was a disappointment, but there was also an opportunity in everything. "Well, perhaps you would have some comments, Mrs. Blacke, I assume it is? You see, I work for the Whitby Gazette. Gareth Scott, ma'm. And I'm working on the Carrington story. Perhaps you have any thoughts on your son's involvement and could tell me a little more about his relationship to Miss Pearl Carrington?" He took out a notebook and a pencil.

325 Posts
3 Threads

"Relationship!! My son with a Carrington, away with ye!" Lottie moved back to shut the door in his face but then she recalled that young Anne Ward had blurted out something similar over tea, and stopped.

188 Posts
3 Threads

Gareth hardly flinched. He was used to people getting angry when he tried to interview them. "It will all be public soon anyway, but I thought you might want to offer your perspective and nuance the story?" he shouted quickly.

325 Posts
3 Threads

"Come inside, Mister Scott." Lottie commanded, worried about listening ears. She didn't offer him tea.

"The only relationship my son 'ad with Pearl Carrington is lend 'er a 'ankerchief at the station. Her brother, one of the Carrington boys, beat 'im for it and then wrote a letter of complaint which cost 'im 'is job. No. If my Joe's got brains, he'll stay away from the Carringtons."

188 Posts
3 Threads

Gareth sat at the kitchen table and listened to the woman increasingly surprised, and slightly amused. Wow. She had no idea then. This was certainly interesting though, for the woman filled him in with information he hadn't uncovered yet. Joe Blacke has been sacked over a row with another Carrington. This was getting juicier and juicier.

"How long ago was this?" he asked.

325 Posts
3 Threads

Lottie shrugged

"A few weeks, I think. It's been a tough go since Joe lost his job."