Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] First day on the job..... [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

117 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: her/she
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=366
Height: 5'5"

"Water on it would make sense, but if it didn't put it out, it would push the water out, I would imagine."  She nodded, thinking that he had tested it and measured the rate was smart.  It wasn't just a guess, it was recorded and made as proof for his conclusions.

She watched for him to eat more.  "What will you be testing next with the fire?"  She asked.

312 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'1"

"Well, I am trying a few chemical compositions based on my research looking for the right combination. I've got a few painted with a solution with different combinations of Chlorides, phosphate, and boric acid." Edward then goes on to explain, at length, how he came to the conclusion that this combination of chemicals would, hopefully, produce the intended result. Of course, he rather forgot that his audience likely didn't know as much about chemistry as he did as he explains it all in far too much detail.

117 Posts
3 Threads

Vela stayed with the description as long as she could but it got quite too complicated for her.  She still listened but also offered bread or something from the plate to Edward every so often.  She liked his voice even if she didn't understand most of the things he was talking about at that moment.  She looked to the fire every so often as well.  She also glanced at Angus to make sure he had enough food.

312 Posts
2 Threads

As it transpired handing him things to eat was a good way to get him to eat. Every time she did so Edward absently pops the morsel into his mouth before continuing to explain the process of the experiment. A quick glance Angus's way would prove that he had already finished his meal. The big man having little in the way of reservations when it came to food.

"Anyway," Edward say animatedly as the wood in the trench gets to the end of the line. "I have four different boards each one mixed with different ratios of the solution. All marked here." He points to a spot on the wood that indicates which number it is then to entries in his notebook that explained how each number lined up with a different mixture. "So if any of these take longer to burn than the others then I can do variations of that formula as I look for the best result." This was the last part of his explanation and since it was about process more than the actual chemistry it was back within the realm of easily understandable for Vela.

117 Posts
3 Threads

Listening to Edward, Vela found the last part interesting and making sense to her.  She kept up the passing bits to him, glad her plan on that was working and that he didn't seem to dislike any of the flavors.  "Do you have investors?  It would seem that your work is quite important and logical."  She added, putting a few things away as they were empty of the portions that had been in the container.  This would keep those things still there looking all the more attractive to the person eating.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Investors? They would want me to patent and sell this solution. No, I have no investors. People shouldn't have to pay to know how to make their homes safe from fire. Once I know the ideal solution I will publish my findings and anyone will be able to make it." Edward says waving off the suggestion that he try to make money. That was far from his concern the man was trying to accomplish something different and far harder with his experiments. He wasn't looking for coin he was looking for redemption.

117 Posts
3 Threads

She remembered that he had said something of that type before.  She doubted common people would be able to afford fancy methods to fight fire even to save lives.  The rich kind would.  He needed a foundation that would help him and find a way to mass make it and keep it reasonable.  Though she didn't know how to get one started. 

"What about a foundation that was about helping others, people give money to those kinds of things all the time.  One of the events that I was hired to cater was all about getting donations to help widows of the soldiers and their children. Could something like that support your work and get it to those that might not be able to afford it as well?"  She asked, thinking she could help with the food part of it if he were to do something like that.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Oh, hrmm." That suggestion had not occurred to Edward and he was silent as he mulled it over for some time. "I have not been thinking about this from a monetary angle but you do have a point Vela. Once I have a workable solution I will need a way to distribute it to the masses. Perhaps some sort of charity organization could aid in that." At present, he'd simply told Mister Lane what he wanted and the butler procured that using the manors accounts. However, if he wanted a mass production he would need either his brother's permission, investors, or he would have to follow Vela's suggestion which seemed the most appealing to him. While he loved his brother dearly, Ambrose was a businessman and would want to make a profit if he was to invest money into this venture.

117 Posts
3 Threads

His interest in her idea made her smile.  She was glad to assist in some way to his efforts.  "I will tell you what.  Once you have made a date and got the list of people to invite, I will cater the event for you.  I think it would be a wonderful gathering for a good cause."  She responded.  Then urging him more to eat.  "I am sure there are a lot of people that would be interesting in donating.  Not just here in Whitby but I may know a few people in London that might like to hear about it."  She had made quite a few contacts when she worked there and with her parent's contacts as well.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"I... would not even know where to begin with such a thing," Edward admitted blinking at Vela's offer. Even if they had been in America he wouldn't have know whom to approach or invite. He was far from a socialite he was a professor. "Mention it to my brother perhaps? He would have a better idea of whom would be interested in such things." Of course, this was something he could do himself but he would likely forget to rather quickly.