Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Only Fools Rush In [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

536 Posts
15 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: Average

She had been working for Lorn for a few months now and was finally able to shed the dark clothing that was associated with mourning. It had been over a year since her husband passed away. She was blossoming into some semblance of happiness again. But Karen had been careful to keep her distance from him... Lorn. Ahh, Lorn, someone who she never tired of looking at whenever she had the chance. Of course, she had been keeping herself busy enough that she wouldn't have time for things like riding lessons...

But now she yearned for interaction with him. She finally made time for learning to ride a horse.

She walked toward the stable after leaving the babies at the main house like Lorn had invited her to. It was the first time she would leave the babies with anyone else besides her former neighbor, and she was fine with it this time. She felt the butterflies in her stomach as she waited for him to show up, reaching out to pat the forehead of one horse that looked to be docile enough for her to handle.

He wasn't there yet, she was alone so far, and so she talked to the horse in a soft murmur, "Do ye think I am a bad person fer admirin' him?" she asked the beast as she rubbed its velvety snout. "It's been over a year now and I've been so alone. I miss my Harold but... He's gone and never comin' back and... do ye think he'd forgive me if I loved again?"

She sighed and hugged the horse around its neck.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=372
Height: 6'8"

Lorn was talking with Tom, one of the grooms, about a coming visit of a man that was wanting to buy a couple of the horses when he caught sight of Karen over by the horse in front of the open stable.  He finished up with Tom and headed walking slow and easily toward Karen as Tom headed back inside.

He wore his typical jeans, work boots, a long-sleeved denim shirt, and his hat.  He smiled as he got up near her.  "I see you have met Dora.  I thought she might be a good one for you to start with.  She and Duke are kind of a couple, so they like to go walking together."  He winked.

"She's expecting Duke's foal.  Though won't be for a few months."  He explained. 

He gave her a look.  "So are you ready for your first lesson?"

536 Posts
15 Threads

"I suppose I am," she said with a smile. There was something to be said about a good environment. For the young widow, it would seem that she was blooming again after a year of being wilted. Color bloomed in her cheeks with good health. Having gotten out of the town proper and even, perhaps, independent of her brother, had given her a new lease on life and healing began. Though she missed Pony, he really had been so very deeply hurtful to her and she didn't know if she wanted to see him again any time soon.

There she was, glowing, and wearing something besides her widow's garb, a blue cotton number that looked to suit her just fine; she had purchased the fabric just a month before with that in mind. She looked lovely and even had some spring flowers stuck into her braid from her garden.

She looked to him and said, "I confess I am nervous."

169 Posts
5 Threads

His smile spread even more seeing her looks so lovely.  He gave Dora a pet along her neck when he got close enough, not far from Karen.  "Just get to know her.  Here."  He pulled a carrot from the back pocket of his jeans.  He had a few ready for this very reason having planned for this lesson.  Giving Karen one of the carrots, he winked.  "She'll love you all the more.  Though seems you have already made a friend here." 

"I've got a saddle over on the fence, but for now, just get to feel comfortable being around her and trust her."  He suggested.  "I'll get a bridle to let you walk around with her bit once you give her the carrot and feel ready for it."

536 Posts
15 Threads

She took the carrot and offered it to Dora, pretending that he wasn't so close as he was. She did her best not to send a sidelong glance his way and instead, focused on the soft muzzle of the horse. Her hand reached up and started to pet at her neck and she crooned softly as if crooning to a babe, "Aren't ye lovely?" It was then that she chanced a glance toward Lorn, her cheeks flush with good cheer and her eyes dancing with joy. "I could stay like this forever," she confessed as she continued to pet the horse on her neck.

169 Posts
5 Threads

He gave Karen a look and smiled.  "It is relaxing to be with the horses."  He agreed.  Then with a look at Dora, he silently thought being with Karen was quite relaxing and enjoyable as well.  He then noticed her flush and hoped he wasn't making her uncomfortable.

"Sometimes I will just go and visit Duke and walk around with him.  It lets me just let all the things in my head fly away and we just look at the land and sky."  He admitted.

536 Posts
15 Threads

She was of a like mind... how enjoyable she found Lorn's company. Her eyes moved over his face slowly until her eyes found his. She couldn't help but give a slow smile his way. "They are easy to talk to," she said and thought about the fact that he was also easy to talk to. Her eyes then fell to his mouth, then she caught herself and forced her gaze back up. "I was just talkin' to her," she said softly.

169 Posts
5 Threads

When their eyes met, he found it hard to pull away.  His smile became warmer.  He finally looked back to Dora.  What was he doing?  The woman was beautiful, a hard worker, a great mother to her twins, and friendly.  But she was not there for him to get all involved in her in that way.  She was an employee and rentee.  He couldn't take advantage of that despite how much he was enjoying their visits here and there as they ran into each other there on the property.  It would not be fair to her. 

"Yes, Duke listen to me talk about a lot of stuff.  But I'll tell you, "  he gave her a wink in a confidential manner, "these horses of mine are great at keeping private things and secrets.  They won't tell a thing to anyone, no matter what you tell them.  Part of why I like them."  He grinned.

"How about we walk down the drive from here to the house and back.  That will get you more used to her and get to know how she moves with you nearby.  It's best if you are comfortable with her before I get you on the saddle."  He suggested indicating the well-trimmed dirty road that was wide enough for carriages and wagons (and often those do come through there with supplies or customer).

536 Posts
15 Threads

"I would like that very much," she said, finding it hard to look away even as he did so himself. Karen forced her gaze upon the mare. She was glad he hadn't heard her tell the mare she admired him, that would have made for an interesting situation. As it was, she was trying oh so hard not to be aware of him as a man. She was failing. She had butterflies in her belly every time he was near her, even as they tried to share a platonic meal here and there or simply talking. The widow was not blind to the widower.

She caught herself moving her gaze again to meet his, her dark ones warm and dancing in good cheer. "I am ready," she said, more to herself about something completely different than the horse but letting it sound like she meant walking. Her smile slowly died then as she realized again that she was gazing into his blues and picturing the two of them riding off into the sunset on one horse.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Lorn nodded and handed the rein to Karen's slender hands.  Then moved toward the road that made up their drive to the main road.  The main house was between the stables and the main road, so they could go a long way as they were walking before they got to the main road if they should wish. 

"Just click your tongue with a light sound as you give her a slight pull on the reins or say 'come along' or whatever you would like to let her know to walk with you."  He explained.  "Duke and I have been together so long that he knows my body language and sounds that I think he reads my mind now."  He chuckled as he watched Karen's manner with Dora.

He would walk along at her pace not far from her side as she started walking with Dora.  He adjusted his hat to avoid his eyes from looking at her so much.  It was a lovely day and the property was starting to change into spring.  It was a bit chilly but not bad at all.  He suddenly imaged the two of them out on the property under a tree having a picnic.  Pushing that thought aside, he glanced back at Karen to see how she was doing with Dora.