Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Feeling Like Something Matters [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

190 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'2"

Maddie had spent the day cleaning things and making the house look as much as like new as she could. Frankly, she was exhausted but had still managed to make a nice dinner for him. She had even checked several times during the day to let the dog and cat in and out if they needed it. She thought she heard something outside and looked out a window just as he was going into the small barn. She tried to hide her excitement and treat it like this sort of thing happened all of the time. Soon enough, it would be. She put his food onto a plate and got him a drink as she waited for him to come in and she could welcome him home.

194 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He/him
Height: 5'6"

Lou shrugged off his scarf as he walked through the hall connecting the barn to the house, humming cheerfully to himself. He was tired, but he'd done an honest day's work and he was looking forward to seeing Maddie this evening. As he opened the door to the house, he breathed in the smells of a hot supper and smiled. Walking in, he noticed Madeline at the table and beamed at her. "Good evening!" he greeted, tossing his scarf on a chair and then taking her hand to spin her in a little circle. Clearly, he was in a good mood despite his weariness, and it showed in his smile.

190 Posts
5 Threads

Madeline laughed in surprise and joy as he spun her. She fell into his arms when she steadied herself and looked up blushing furiously. "Ah, good evening, Si-Ah I mean Lou! I take it the day went well? You seem rather pleased so it must be!" She beckoned him to sit and eat while it was warm. "I am glad to see you so happy." Her smile matched his joy as she watched him.

194 Posts
2 Threads

Lou took a seat and waved for her to sit too, ready to dig into supper. "And I am glad to see your smile," he replied, grinning at her. "Would you like me to say grace?" He wasn't sure if Madeline was a religious girl, or if she was even a Christian, but he might as well ask. He went to church every Sunday and was a dutiful servant of the Lord, but he had no issue with anyone who believed different things than he, as long as they didn't worship the Devil.

190 Posts
5 Threads

Madeline nervously smiled back at him and nodded. "Go ahead.." She tried to clasp her hands together and lowered her head. She didn't have time for religion in her life. Her mother spoke of it and some women had, but she'd never spent time in a church and didn't care to learn about it. If God had cared about her, she thought he'd have saved her a long time ago.

194 Posts
2 Threads

Lou took her hands from across the table, as he remembered doing with his family in childhood, and said grace quietly, his voice rhythmic and tranquil. When he finished with an 'amen' that Maddie presumably echoed, he looked up and squeezed her hands with a smile before digging into supper. As he ate, he offered a story or two about some of the stranger patrons he'd cabbied about Whitby and asked her questions about her happiest memories, wanting to see her smile again.

190 Posts
5 Threads

Maddie was surprised when he suddenly took her hands but she didn't hold back. She lowered her head for the prayer as he chastised herself for reacting at all when he took her hand. He wasn't going to do anything, he was gentle and pure. Her hands were let go after he said 'amen' and she rose her head. She listened intently to his stories and smiled brightly laughing occasionally when it fit. When he asked for her happiest memory though, she looked away. Maddie thought hard and finally smiled, "Ah, I know. When I was a child, I discovered that the baker left his door unlocked. I snuck in and stuffed myself sick on sweet pastries. It was the best food I've ever had and I never been so stuffed full. It wasn't fun to try to run from the baker afterwards but I never regretted it."

194 Posts
2 Threads

Lou gave a soft smile. If her best memory was of thieving, her childhood was likely not as pleasant of a one as Lou's had been. Sure, his parents didn't pay much attention to him other than urging him to get married in later years and he had few friends, but he was fed, had a bed to sleep on, and was allowed to bring stray animals home to care for them, and that was enough. He made a mental note about the baker story and decided tomorrow morning after church, he'd bring Maddie to the best pastry shop in town and have her pick out a bag or two of treats all for herself. He didn't even consider how thoughtful this idea was, he simply wanted to make her happy and didn't consider himself a man of giving, although to the outside eye, he certainly was.

190 Posts
5 Threads

Maddie met his smile but worried what he thought of her. "Oh, but don't worry. I was young at the time, I'd never do such a thing now." As if that was the concern. Of course, if she had found a bakery with its door unlocked, she'd go for the money and maybe a few treats for later.

194 Posts
2 Threads

Lou gave a chuckle. "I know you wouldn't," he replied, not because she'd convinced him, but because he'd believed it even before she mentioned it. He took a bite of his supper and chewed thoughtfully, a smile still somehow on his face as he ate with nearly-impeccable manners. "This is delicious, Maddie," he said after swallowing, then paused before going on. "Do you mind if I call you Maddie?"