Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Wedding Plans [The British Isles]

171 Posts
6 Threads

Pronouns: He, him
Height: 5'10"

Donald stayed back as he gazed at the two girls reuniting as if for the first time in many years. It was a touching moment to be sure, and he enjoyed the way that Percy lit up at the sight of her sister. When introduced, he shook the young girl's hand gently and said, "Good day to you, Miss." Then he tipped his hat and gave that smile that had won over her sister without him really thinking about it. "It is a fine day today, don't you think?" he asked both of the girls at that point. He pulled off his hat respectfully then and waited quietly for the two to catch up, knowing he would be meeting the parents soon.
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She/her
Height: 5'3"

Persephone could tell that Harriet already approved of her fiance and was quite glad of it. She'd had her worries, of course, she'd be a fool to expect everything to turn out perfectly, but now she saw things were falling into their rightful places. She and Harriet headed up toward the house, chattering about what had happened in each's lives since they last saw each other, and as Persephone started forward, she slipped her arm through the crook of Donald's, offering him a sweet smile. Harriet remarked something about a flock of pigeons at the park the other day and Persephone turned her gaze back to her sister.

The doors of the home swung open as they approached the front steps and the Blythe butler, Tennison, welcomed the trio inside. Persephone hadn't always gotten along with Tennison, as he was a stickler for the rules her parents laid down and she was quite the opposite as a child; still, she was glad to see him and told him so. He thanked her and replied the same, and Persephone felt more grown up in that moment than she had in a while, excluding when she accepted Donald's proposal. Her mother, Alexandra, was the first to greet Donald with a smile so bright Persephone wondered if she was happier to see her fiance than her own daughter. Her father, Wentworth, stepped up and shook Donald's hand next, and Persephone was satisfied to see they seemed to like her fiance at first glance.

171 Posts
6 Threads

"Pleasure to make your acquaintances," he said to her mother and father, shaking the father's hand with a firm grip and then squeezing the mother's hand. He gave a slight bow because he was being formal and then looked to Percy... "Why don't you, your sister, and your mother catch up?" he suggested because he was so nervous that he wanted to get the question done and over with. He leaned in and kissed her cheek before turning to her father and saying, "I have a box of cigars with me, would you care for one?"
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone drew her mother and Harriet away to the drawing-room. Her mother immediately started spouting questions- how she'd met Donald, and of what sort of man was he, and how had their relationship come about -and Persephone answered them to the best of her ability, careful to paint Donald in the best light possible, though it wasn't that hard to do considering he was quite a pleasant man. Harriet was more interested in the town of Whitby, and was absolutely delighted by the seaglass necklace Persephone got her as a gift.

Meanwhile, Wentworth Blythe entered the parlor with Donald and accepted the offer of a cigar, noting with satisfaction that the man smoked- in his distinguished opinion, too little men smoked cigars nowadays, and he was glad to see Donald was an exception. He lit the cigar and offered to light Donald's, and assuming the man accepted, he took a puff and got straight to the point. "You have come to ask me for my daughter's hand in marriage," he stated, his expression quite unreadable.

171 Posts
6 Threads

"That I have. I find your daughter to be not only delightful but quite lovely as well." He took the offer of lighting and puffed as well. He then started to talk nervously, "I am no spring rooster, but I still have a few years left in me. I find myself desiring children and another wife. I am a widower, you see. But I found Miss Blythe to be the right fit for that criteria. I endeavor to treat her right and to give her the best life I possibly can."
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone peeked through the window inset in the door of the parlor. She'd discovered years ago she could watch the happenings within while going unseen, and so she utilized this now. To her pleasant surprise, when Tennison noticed this, he deliberately turned a blind eye. She watched as her father took a long, thoughtful drag on the cigar in his hand. It was true, Donald was an older man, but there was still so much light and youth in him that Persephone believed her father could see past his age. Here came the questions, she assumed, and she was correct: "What is your profession? What do you mean by 'the best life you possibly can'? Have you discussed having children with my daughter? Would you be willing to host her sister Harriet for visits each month? What was her reaction when you asked her to marry you? How did you meet Persephone?" Wentworth Blythe squinted his eyes and Persephone crossed her fingers, knowing this meant Donald would have to answer this next question carefully: "Do you encourage my daughter's architect dreams? Why or why not?"

171 Posts
6 Threads

"I am a doctor, sir," he answered the first question with ease. "I mean that while I am not as wealthy as you are, she will still want for nothing if I can help it at all. Harriet is more than welcome. I wanted to wait for your permission before asking Persephone formally, though she is aware of my wishes." He paused, took a drag from his cigar. "We have not discussed children as of yet but I would like to have two or three." Another pause as a plume of smoke formed out of his mouth and nose. "I met your daughter whilst out on a walk. I just happened to be there to catch her when she fell. I suppose you could say I was transfixed with her beauty and had to walk with her." The next question came as a surprise. Would he have to lie and say no??? He didn't want to. He knew he had to be tactfully candid.

"Your daughter has an extraordinary gift and I do not see the harm in letting her have her dreams. I support her because I love her." And to his surprise, he meant it. There was a look of revelation on his face. "She is a bright young lady and I wish to have her by my side."
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone stifled a gasp and she threw up her hand to cover her mouth. He loved her? And he knew so already? Feelings whirled about her mind and her attention slipped so she didn't hear what her father replied. She wasn't sure what she felt, and now she felt pressured to make a choice, even though she still felt it was too early for her to tell. She turned away from the parlor door and closed her eyes, breathing in and out. Harriet found her and tugged her away to see the new wallpaper in the girl's bedroom, and Persephone feigned calm when her sister questioned her sharp expression.

Wentworth Blythe fell silent once more. He took another puff on his cigar. Donald could probably tell by now he was a man who liked to think his words through. "A doctor, you say?" He pursed his lips and tilted his head. "Better than we'd hoped for. My daughter has never expressed a wish for children to me, though my wife and I would very much like grandchildren, so if she is unsure I am certain she could be persuaded. Harriet would know more of Persephone's motherly possibilities. You would find it best to ask her if looking for a trusted opinion." Another pause, another moment taken to smoke. "Persephone's dreams are far-fetched and strange for a woman to our family." Wentworth glanced out the window for a long, long moment. It was clear he was considering something and would be offended should Donald try to interrupt the silence. "If she is wed to you, however, our opinions would matter little, so long as she was respected a decent amount in Whitby. Which is where you intend to settle with her, is it not?"

171 Posts
6 Threads

"Indeed, sir," he said in reply to the part of him being a doctor. But for the most part, the rest of the words seemed rhetorical. He kept quiet while Mister Blythe lapsed into silence. He could feel a dribble of perspiration on the back of his neck and he would then hold his cigar between forefinger and middle finger. "I plan on making what would have been my home into a clinic to treat the people of Whitby." He had hope that permission would be granted since Mr. Blythe had advised him to talk to Harriet about children with Percy.
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Wentworth nodded once, then paused, then gave the motion twice more. He stepped forward and extended his hand to shake Donald's, his hard expression fading into a slight smile. "I have heard all I need. I give you my blessing to wed Persephone." Once he'd dropped the stony expression he'd worn all while questioning Donald, one could see he was actually a decently friendly fellow, just quite protective of his daughter. Or maybe just his daughter's reputation as it reflected on the family. If Persephone had been there, she would have informed Donald it was mostly the latter.