Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] A Welcome Visitor [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She/her
Height: 5'3"

Persephone hummed softly to herself as she swept the dining room. In the doorway stood the maid who usually did this work, staring and fidgeting with her hands. Persephone had recently taken it upon herself to learn how to housekeep properly, half-because she wanted something to occupy her near-endless spare time, and half-because she thought knowing how to clean and cook were important skills to have, no matter your social status. The maid had tried twice so far to get Persephone to let her do the work as she was hired to do, but the young woman waved her off and told her to take a break, stroll the garden out back, or something. "You will still receive your pay, of course," she said as she pushed a heap of minute food scraps into a dustpan, and the maid relaxed before taking the offered respite.

Just a few minutes after Persephone had dumped all the dust, dirt, and whatnot into the trash bin and had changed out of the simple sheath she'd reserved for cleaning and cooking, she heard her doorman speaking to someone out the front door and she looked out the window of her bedroom to see Dr. Witaker. A smile grew on her face- what a lovely surprise! He was a kind man, and she'd found in the last few days that she'd rather missed his pleasant company. She did up her hair quickly and came down the main stairs just as he entered her home. "Dr. Witaker," she said with a warm smile, "what a pleasure!"

171 Posts
6 Threads

Pronouns: He, him
Height: 5'10"

Dr. Witaker had been in deep thought in the days that he had not seen Persphone Blythe. Lord, but she was beautiful, he thought as he approached her home. Oh, fancy, a doorman, he thought as he said, "I am here to see Miss Blythe." He had his bowler hat in his hand and wore his Sunday best to see her today, for it was an important day. He was going to propose to Miss Blythe because he thought he would be the best solution to her problem. He knew she could say no and respected it, he wouldn't let it hurt his feelings if she did because they hardly knew each other... But she needed a husband and he wanted a wife, and the thought of having little ones pitter-pattering about made his heart sing.

At the sight of her, his eyes lit up. "Good day to you, Miss Blythe. I hope you don't mind my calling on you without sending word first."
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone's smile grew as she reached the bottom of the stairs, seeing how his eyes lit up when he saw her. It seemed like he felt the same delight in her presence that she found in his. "Of course not, Dr. Witaker, you are welcome here any time." What did he mean by this visit, she wondered as she showed him to the parlor. A friendly visit was always welcome, but there was something about the tone of his voice that made her think he was slightly apprehensive of his appearance here today. She glanced over him when he wasn't looking at her and noticed he was dressed up-but for what purpose? Persephone's curiosity grew as she sat on a loveseat and gestured for him to take a seat on the sofa across from her. A small coffee table separated them and Persephone politely asked one of her servants to put on a pot of tea and fetch the delicacies that customarily went along with the drink (she always treated her servants as equals, something her parents didn't understand or approve of but Persephone thought to be of importance to human kindness).

171 Posts
6 Threads

"I am glad," he said honestly. He glanced around as she led him to the parlor and then sat down after she sat down. He licked his lips nervously and waited until she was settled before deciding to cut to the chase. "I know it came as a surprise to you, my calling on you today... But I have been giving a matter a lot of thinking and I feel it's best just to be out with it." He cleared his throat and fidgeted with his hands. "Would you... do the honor of becoming my wife?" There, it was out. "I will understand if you say no, I realize this is sudden and that we scarcely know one another, but I thought about how you said your parents wished you to marry and I thought I could present the solution to your problem. You see, I am in need of a wife and you, Miss Blythe, are so very smart and lovely, and it would be an honor to be your husband, even if it is just in name." God, now he felt like he was babbling.
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone's mouth formed into a small 'o' of surprise when she heard his proposal, but as he went on, her mind started to race. It was true, they barely knew each other. Then again, Dr. Witaker was the only man she'd ever met who supported her dream- there was no way she'd ever find better. And she enjoyed his company. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea. He sort of sputtered for a moment longer and when he finally paused, she'd made up her mind. This was likely the best offer she would get, and she was truly grateful for him to extend it. It looked like she would get to see Harriet again much sooner than she'd originally thought! The notion brought a smile to her face and she made sure it looked reassuring as she replied, "A marriage of convenience, you say?" She nodded, slowly at first, then quicker as she really decided on it. "Indeed. I could not dream of a better offer, and as I enjoy your company very much, Doctor, I shall accept your proposal." Her smile turned a little shy. Her parents would be satisfied, she would still be able to pursue her dream while still having access to her family's funds and, most importantly, being able to see her sister. Everything was falling into place, and although it was only a month or so after she'd arrived in Whitby, Persephone was incredibly glad to see it happen.

171 Posts
6 Threads

"Yes," he said, and then brethed out a sigh he didn't know he was holding in when she said she would be his wife. "Then I shall insist you call me Donald," he said as a big ol' grin stretched his mouth wide. He was happy. "I will have to ask your father for his permission, of course, but I wanted you to be keen on the idea first." He respected her opinion and wanted it to be her choice first, not her father's. He pulled out a box with a ring he had been holding onto. It had been his mother's ring and she gave it to him for the next woman he might marry.
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone blushed as he brought out the ring box, or what she assumed was such. This was really happening, she was going to be married. She had no worries about her father giving his blessing, he would be happy to see her married to a street urchin as long as she was wed and out of his and Persephone's mother's hair. She would have to write to Harriet this very afternoon, to tell her of everything that was happening and that she'd be able to see her soon! Donald was a nice name, she mused as he opened the box, yes, it certainly is. "And I insist you call me Persephone, or, if you find that too long at times, Percy." Her smile grew again, still rather shy, as this was all new and rather remarkable to her. "I appreciate you reaching out to me before my father," she added, "my independence and free will is, as you know, quite important to me and it truly means a lot that you deigned to ask me first."

171 Posts
6 Threads

"Your father doesn't need to know that I asked you first, Persephone," her name rolled off his tongue. Ahh, like velvet. Of course, she would be named for the Greek Goddess... she was a goddess in his eyes, and he would probably tell her so when the time came. He opened up the ring box and in the center of the velvet lining was a simple gold band with a sapphire setting. He smiled at her and said, "Thank you for agreeing. I know that it is an unusual proposition I make, but it is my hope that we make for a good pair in the long run. I find you quite fascinating, really."
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

The ring was absolutely gorgeous, Persephone thought, and she felt a little anxious as she looked at it. This was a bit of a frightening path she was taking, but she knew it was a good one, and so she faced the unknown with a brave spirit. She smiled at Donald's words. Another lady of her status might be offended by being called 'fascinating', but she took it as a compliment. "It is probably best he doesn't," she advised, "and I am glad to be taking this step with you." Indeed, she meant it, as she knew she wouldn't find anyone better and she actually felt quite lucky to have met Donald.

171 Posts
6 Threads

"Would it... be alright if I kissed you?" he asked, not wanting to be so forward as to do it without her permission. Pulling the ring out and offering it to her as well. He very much wanted to feel the softness of her lips against his, in fact, longed for it with every fiber of his being. He waited patiently for her to answer, not wanting her to say no but knowing he had to understand if she wasn't quite ready for such a step as that. He smiled even still.