Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

For Your Improvement

61 Posts
6 Threads

Height: 5'3''

Catherine had been homebound for two weeks now on doctor’s orders. She had fainted several times a day for days on end. The doctor had prescribed rest, plain but nutritious food, and had once again urged her to stop lacing her corset so tight. She was not to leave her confinement until the fainting spells had stopped for a week.

To make matters worse, the other girls in the Whitby Young Ladies Society for the Relief of Destitute Children had decided that Catherine was sick too often to be president and had demoted her. She was devastated. Her life had seemed unbearably dull as it was, while she was stuck in Whitby during the winter season. Now, homebound and with her main occupation taken away, she didn’t know what to do with herself.

She had started reading ‘Emma’, but it gave her migraines and she was forced to stop. What she had managed to read, however, had inspired her. Could she too take on a girl of lesser rank and mould and refine her enough to find her a good match? (All the sarcasm had escaped her.) Perhaps if she could improve a simple girl and raise her above those daughters of doctors and lawyers who had demoted her, they would feel ashamed of how they had treated her. Perhaps they’d be jealous.

She didn’t know many girls who would qualify. The girl couldn’t be completely unpolished. There had to be evidence of potential. And she would need to have time, of course. But she would have to be low enough in rank to teach the girls in the Society a lesson as she came up. It couldn’t be one of the maids. It had to be someone she didn’t interact with in any other context.

After another few hours of boredom, her mind turned to the shop girl who had assisted when she bought the Jane Austen collection. A fish lass who had worked herself up to a shop assistant. The girl had a pretty face and a pleasant smile and good manners, even if she was a little free. She’s be perfect!

And so like a true detective, Catherine set herself to finding out the name of the girl, by making a footman find it out for her (not creepy Matthew). A day later, Ellie Russell received the following invitation on fine and bleached, scented paper, the seal stamped with an elaborate flowery imprint around the letters C.A.E.:

Quote:Dear Miss Russell,

Three weeks ago, you assisted me in the purchase of that lovely blue leather bound set of Jane Austen novels. You told me then that you are practicing your reading, something I find admirable. You see, I am very passionate about education, especially for working girls.

I would very much like to assist you in your journey of self-improvement. If you would kindly visit us at Saltwick View Manor this Sunday at 3, we have a library you might want to browse. Also, I have several children’s books I wish to part with that may be of interest you. The address is enclosed. Please RSVP and when you come, report at the gate house. The servants will take you up to the house.

Yours sincerely,
Catherine A. Ennington