Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

The Scarlet Letter

322 Posts
16 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'5"

"I am fine," she said, though she could still feel her knuckles thtobbing away. "I took me anger out on the wall at me ma's house is all. I know it was rash and dumb." She didn't even blink at his use of her familiar name

Ruth looked exhausted too, her face blotchy from a day of shedding tears. She looked so exhausted from the events of the day that it was almost palpable. In fact, she stumbled over her own foot a little but seemed to catch herself.

320 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'1"

"Negative emotions often drive us to do self-destructive things." He patted her gently on the shoulder and guided her to the table helping her get seated. "It's an unfortunate reality of human behavior." He sat down and found himself lacking in appetite. "But I am surprised. You seemed to be in good spirits before you left, did something happen?"

322 Posts
16 Threads

She sighed and looked down at the food, not so hungry either. "I got angry when I realized how many bairns are affected by me false husband. I imagined his face when I punched the wall. I will be fine..." She reached with her good hand and gave a soft squeeze to his, looking at him now. "I cannot begin ta find the right words ta say how much ye and yours mean ta me."

Ruth gave a wan smile before getting up and moving to stand in front of the hearth. "I left Jacob with me brother's new wife fer now so I could clear me mind without havin' ta worry about changing nappies. Truth be told, I am ruined. Me name is muck thanks ta Angus. I just wanted ta be loved." She gave a spft shrug before her shoulders sagged.

320 Posts
2 Threads

"What he did was abhorrent to any definition of good taste, it is good he is paying for it. You are an invaluable member of this household Ruth and trust the feeling is mutual when it comes to how much you mean to m... Us."

Just the slightest slip of the tongue, brushing up against a statement that could be seen as improper. He reached out and rubbed her shoulder gently. "There is nothing wrong with what you wanted and he exploited it. But you are loved, by your son, your family, and the members of this house. Do not forget that."

322 Posts
16 Threads

Ruth felt her belly tighten even as he corrected himself. When he said she was loved, she turned her face toward him. She hadn't realized she was crying until the tears cooled on her skin, a droplet suspended precariously from her lower lash on the left. There were no words at the tip of her tongue.

Then she gave a soft nod and looked back at the hearth, taking a rather deep breath and letting it out.

320 Posts
2 Threads

"You should eat, it's important to keep your strength up." He gestured toward the meal laid out on the table. There was enough for two, even knowing she'd be out of the house he'd asked for enough for two just in case she returned in time for dinner. She occupied his thoughts even when she wasn't around which wasn't normal for a relationship between employee and employer.

322 Posts
16 Threads

"I am not very hungry, to be honest," she said thickly. Then she turned to him, "Can we just sit for now?" How the tables had turned, at least for the moment, where it was she who fought eating. She took a deep breath and let it go.

She then looked up at his face, the same one who occupied her thoughts. Pain flashed through her expression at the movement, gingerly lifting her hand to her chest to elevate it.