Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[CW] A Proposition

211 Posts
9 Threads

Ruth lightly raised her eyebrows at that. Well, she could appreciate someone wanting to get away from their family. It was what she wanted for her children. "What did your last position pay?" she asked. "And did you live in?" Ruth could probably squeeze the money out of Magnus, but she had no idea what rich people offered for this kind of work.

44 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'6"

"I am just out of finishing school, though I did leave early. My brother is a doctor, though, if that counts for anything. I help him sometimes and know how to care for non emergent things, and what I don't know, I do learn quite fast." She then pressed forward her character references from the school. "I can cook as well... It might not be as good as others but I have been learning to fast for the sake of taking care of myself." That, she thought, and I want to be more like Pippa in that I am willing to learn.

211 Posts
9 Threads

All of this sounded like complete gibberish to Ruth. The names of the schools in the references didn't ring any bells to her. She didn't bother actively reading them further, because she was a very slow reader. And since when was being able to cook an accomplishment for a woman? What did 'educated' men brag about when applying for a job? Being able to wipe their own bottoms? Who even went to school to look after children? Rich people were absurd to the point that it was comical.

Ruth waved her hand. "I don't care that ye're new to this and I don't care about yer schools. Ye seem smart enough and to know how to act right and be patient, that's what I want for them. No school's gonna make a person into that. I want ye to treat them well - I don't mean mollycoddle them into wimps like most rich folk, but well looked after and no cruelty. I want them to learn to talk right and say thank you's and all of that, and to learn all the smart stuff as soon as they're able. Now my question was, what do you expect, in terms of pay? What's normal? And do ye expect me to arrange accommodation for ye? It would be easier if ye could find somethin' in yer own name."

44 Posts
2 Threads

(TW just because I wanna cober my butt in case what she said is sexist)

A sour look passed over her face, "I was taught to let the men do all the arranging with money. I have never been on my own. The things they teach in finishing school are mostly impractical things. I want to be able to take care of my own needs if all I have to look forward to is tending and catering to men... They understand nothing about women." She gave pause and then said, "I am not saying I need my hand held, far from it, but it'd be nice if finishing included practical knowledge. I can dress myself, but learning cooking and budgeting? Oh, thats, "beneath," ladies." She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "All that to say, if you told me which direction to go for that to happen, why, I'd follow!'

211 Posts
9 Threads

Again, Ruth was rather puzzled, both by the indirect way in which her question was answered and by the content of said answer. She took her cup in both hands and sipped her tea. Her mind was fast at work assessing her options.

This one was an idiot, actually. Whatever natural gifts the young woman seemed to possess were far overshadowed by her useless education and sheltered life. Ruth had received no education to write home about - she would hardly be able to write home if she wanted to - , but she knew how to squeeze the last penny out of any situation. Did she really want her children in the care of somebody who was still learning basic life skills herself?

But what choice did she have? They'd still be infinitely better off in the care of this woman than they'd be under her parents' negligent 'care'. And how many women would be willing to accept such a questionable position? How many would be willing to set their moral scruples aside and overlook Ruth's own situation, which was blatantly revealed by every inconsistency in her story. She figured even the sheltered young woman in front of her was sharp enough to have worked it out by now. And the tearoom would certainly not have her back to conduct a second interview after the scene they had caused earlier. Ruth looked over at her children. They were taking the borrowed toy train apart in a way that it was definitely not supposed to come apart. The roof and wheels lay scattered around them. Ruth would have to work with the only real option she had.

Her shrewd mind was already at work finding ways to turn this circumstance round into a solution for several of her problems at once. "I provide a place for you to live with the children," she decided. She figured with everything Magnus had given her so far, she could obtain enough cash for a year's rent of a modest but clean flat, if she paid up front. She had been thinking that if Magnus dumped her, she'd need a place to live comfortably for a few months while she devised a new plan. "You will receive advance payments to cover the children's needs. I will expect a detailed weekly account of expenses." God, the delicious sense of authority she felt, talking to someone like that... Being rich was great. "As for your wage, would five shillings a week do?" It was on the lower range for an ordinary maid, but Ruth relied on the woman's inexperience to get away with it.

44 Posts
2 Threads

She knew it was a smaller amount at leastbut chose not to look a gift horse in the mouth. She gave a nod, her shoulders sagging on relief. "Thank you." She then looked to the two in question. Pen knew that things were gping to be tpugh earning their trust. "I promise to give them as much affection as they deserve."

211 Posts
9 Threads

And just like that, Ruth had managed to find someone to look after her kids. And for a good price too. She scooped up her cup and put it to her lips to hide her surprised face. When she set her cup down, she had more or less composed herself.

"I will give you my address, but you must only correspond with me through my postbox. Never write or come to the address, unless I have explicitly asked you too. If there is something urgent, and only in that case, send a message boy to my address to tell me..." She thought. "Let him tell me my hat... let him tell me the hat I ordered is finished and I may pick it up today, and I will come. He must not mention you or the children. If I find you a place in time, will you be able to start Saturday next?" She was eager to get the children out of her parents' home for good.

44 Posts
2 Threads

She agreed firmly to all of those things. Her eyes did not waver, but she remained solemn and did not shout for joy like she thought she might. It was the end of a chapter, the beginning of a new one away from her brother enough that he would let her do her own thing.

She wanted to be independant and that meant taking the jobs others might not desire. The two little ones she would love for their mother seemed to need it a lot but she couldn't tell why nor did she want to find out.

Once the things that were necessary were exchanged, she would head to the market for soup to feed Tris and Pippa, using the last of the money the latter had given her to shop with. "Thank you," was said with a wan smile.