Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

Books Against Boredom

57 Posts
5 Threads

Height: 5'3''

Most of the girls Catherine spent time with were aware of their graces and often vain about it too. They took compliments with civility and often returned them, but that was it. To see this young girl glow under a simple compliment was oddly satisfying.

Catherine moved to put the book back on the pile. "I love Anderson. Our nurse used to read them to us." She turned back to the girl. "I've never read Tom Brown's School Days. I thought it was for boys. Is it any good?"

167 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Alias: BlackAck

"Oh yes. Poor Tom and George," Ellie used the character's christian names, despite the utterly foreign setting of a rich boy's school. Tom and George were also normal names. "They were young like me. I 'ated that bully Flashman. I was glad that he got in trouble." At the question if the book was only for boys... Ellie's brow arched. Was it? "Well, it might be just for boys, but Miss Christine said I could to practice."

57 Posts
5 Threads

Was it a sudden spirit of rebellion, so seldom stirring in the young lady? Or was it the younger girl's light chatter that invited her into a mindset seemingly less complicated than her own? Whichever it was, some small spark lit Catherine's usually dull eyes. "Do you know what? I might just try that book. Would you have another copy in stock?"

167 Posts
5 Threads

"Sorry Miss, no." Ellie answered in a formal business-like manner. It was the prepared response to an often asked question. It dashed hope in the politest way possible "At Pennyweather's, we sell special, one -of -a -kind books. Unless requested by special order."

They had lots of Dickens, Anderson, and if a private library was sold they would almost end up with multiple copies.

"Obviously, ye'll be buying this one. Would you like us to find another copy? Ellie asked in an upbeat and helpful tone. Ellie liked to speculate why the books were being bought. Perhaps it was a gift for a sister or friend? Or was it to have a house of books to look educated, but that were never read.

57 Posts
5 Threads

Catherine was a little taken aback and her face fell, though she quickly managed to return to a polite smile. She wasn't used to hearing 'no'. “Oh no, I would not want to take the book you are reading at the moment. You must finish it and tell me what you think of it, next time I visit. I will try another book for now. Would you have anything by Jane Austen?”

167 Posts
5 Threads

"Jane Austin," Ellie repeated. "Ooh, yes. She's famous. Over 'here," Ellie stepped around the customer and disappeared down an aisle. She stopped in front of a navy blue leather bound set with fancy gold lettering.

"This is Jane Austen. Is this what ye lookin' for?" Ellie asked. They were just a little too advanced for her.

57 Posts
5 Threads

Catherine was a little offended that the kindness she bestowed on the fishergirl was not acknowledged with praise and gratitude. But she put it down to how unenlightened the poor child probably was about the world and her place in it.

Catherine followed her. "Oh how beautifully bound!" she commented. She pulled one of the books out and observed it. She had already read Persuasion but decided she'd buy the whole set, just because they'd look well in her room.

167 Posts
5 Threads

"Oh they are, Miss. I like how the titles on the spines glitter in the light.. Will you be wanting them, then? Do ye have lots of books at 'ome?"