By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Turning a Page [Market, Shops and Spas] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Turning a Page [Market, Shops and Spas] (/showthread.php?tid=668)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Turning a Page - Ellie Russell - 03-17-2022

Ellie nodded in silent comprehension that she would not have to wear black again for work. Perhaps for a grim event like a funeral where a depressed appearance was required. Yet, for the most part, she would wear brighter shades. New boots would be nice, these, lovely though they were did pinch a bit.

"Another shawl would be lovely." Ellie said.

As the pair walked, a passing portly gentleman in a brown suit tipped his bowler hat everso to them. The gesture struck Ellie.. very few paid her attention. There was Anne, Kate, and of course Ellie's family. Even some of the fishermen on the wharf talked to her, but none of them ever tipped their hats to her. Her family.

"What will my family will say about all this?" Ellie wondered aloud.

RE: Turning a Page - Christine Pennyfeather - 03-17-2022

Christine nodded in thought as she walked and nodded her head to the man politely without slowing down. The question came out of no where and she paused and looked down at her. "Whatever do you mean? I do not know your family. But, I would assume it won't matter. You want to work for me right? And you can certainly see your family any time you like. I am not imprisoning you." She smiled and looked at her clearly confused what the girl was trying to say or was worried about. "Do you think they won't let you work for me?"

"It's 'ard to say, Miss. How me family would feel. I think they should be 'appy, but I'm scared they'll think it beggin' or charity and say no." Ellie recalled a fierce argument in a neighbour's house in the Cragg about that very thing not too long ago. "Me father thinks fer his boat an' nowt much more. Mam? I suppose she'd care. More money for the family."

"I'd love ta work with ye, Miss." Ellie added. The new clothes, the higher wages, and the promise of easier work was certainly attractive to the young lass.

Christine seemed to consider her worries and shrugged. "It isn't charity. Charity is if I pitied you, and I'd not worry over clothes. Probably give you money for your family or whatever. Instead, I'm making you look the part that I want my maid to look and if I pay you well you won't leave. It's just good business." She smiles and tilts her head. "How old are you anyway? You seem about old enough you could do what you like without their permission. I mean, if you wanted to . I can see how you wouldn't want to hurt your family." She didn't personally get it, but she could see it.

"I'm 15, Miss." Ellie answered. She was in that awkward age, where she wasn't quite a little girl anymore but not yet a woman. Miss Christine was right, Ellie was old enough to decide what she wanted for her own life.

Christine nodded and smiled. "Well then, whenever you wish you can go home and tell them. If you don't return, I'd understand. If they want to come talk to me, they may." The last thing she wanted to do was talk to some angry parents, but she honestly didn't care much about their opinion. At least they'd see she wasn't someone who was going to do something devious to their daughter. She was just a spoiled girl who grew up into a woman and wanted to dress up her maid like a doll so she would be pretty too.

"I understand, Miss. Would you mind if I did that once we finished shoppin' today?" Ellie asked. The quicker this matter resolved itself the better.

Christine shrugged as she headed towards the same dress shop she used. "Certainly." Realization seemed to sink in. "Would you like me to join you?" She said softly as she looked at the young lady at her side before opening the door for her.

"Would you, Miss?" Ellie asked. Having her there would lend credence to Ellie's story, that it wasn't something thought up on the spot by fisher girls tipsy on ginger beer.

Christine took a slow breath before she nodded. "I've not met many fishermen but I am sure you will help me as much as I help you." She offered with a slightly embarrassed smile. "For now, let us focus on this then.." She was already moving to look at a dress and showing her new maid the soft dark red fabric. "What do you think? Or maybe dark blue."