By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] Turning a Page [Market, Shops and Spas] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] Turning a Page [Market, Shops and Spas] (/showthread.php?tid=668)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Turning a Page - Ellie Russell - 03-17-2022

Ellie took the hand mirror and gasped.

"Is that me?" she said. Of course she knew it was her, but the transformation was remarkable.

Indeed she had started the day in rough black covered in ash and was now clothed in velvet, her face shining like a brand new penny. Ellie had never imagined herself looking like this. It was something like a dream. Years ago, when Ellie had complained about having to wear a worn frock, her mother had said outward appearance was not as important as what was inside a person, and she was grateful for Ellie's gentle heart and kind nature. Now it would appear that her outward appearance matched the inside. Emotion welled up in Ellie like water filling a bucket that was too small, and it overflowed out her eyes in the form of tears.

RE: Turning a Page - Christine Pennyfeather - 03-17-2022

Christine gasped and put the mirror down before she turned back to Ellie. "Whatever is the matter? Does it look bad?" She said in surprise, she thought she did a pretty good job. She hugged the girl and patted her back. "It's alright. We can try something else, please don't cry, Little Ellie!" She said almost panicking as she didn't want the girl to cry.

"No. No." Ellie blubbed through her tears. "It's beautiful. I never thought I'd look like this. Please don't change it!" Ellie pleaded.

Christine let her words sink in and then laughed and smiled hugging the girl still and patted her head lightly before letting go. "You will wear pretty things a lot. Let this dress be your first gift. It was one of my favorites and it looks beautiful on you. When we go out shopping, you can get some more so you have plenty to wear. We will get you plainer things to wear for when you have a lot of cleaning to do." It wouldn't be too much plainer but definitely more useful. "Maybe we will get you an accessory or two as well for special occasions, how does that sound?" She thought maybe a simple necklace or comb for her hair would also add to it and the girl looked so happy with the little she was given. "You look beautiful in green, I am glad it compliments you so well." She smiled at the girl though reminded her that she was a maid though she definitely was going to treat her more often than not like a little sister.

Ellie nodded through sniffles as the urge to cry began to fade.

New dresses and finery? It all sounded grand to Ellie. The fact that she had yet to tell her family about this change in fortune, occurred to her. She would have to do that, though she probably shouldn't wear this lovely dress in the Cragg. She would hate for it to get dirty. Her plain black dress would be fine for that. What would her family say?

"It sounds wonderful, Ma-" Ellie stopped herself from using the formality she was so accustomed to. She knew her place, as the maid, but with Christine's generosity, there was the danger of forgetting, and Ellie dared not do that.

Christine rose her brow as she spoke and tilted her head. "What? Please just call me Miss Pennyfeather, Miss, or even Christine at home. I don't care much for formalities. I was lucky to be born into money, I didn't earn this and I'm certainly no better than anyone else. I just choose to embrace that fact and not try." She laughed softly and patted her shoulder. "Shall we go then?"

"Yes, Miss" Ellie replied. That felt more comfortable to address her as such. The girl rose from the chair and again smoothed down her dress, not only because it had been wrinkled by sitting, but also because she wanted to touch the fabric again. She still felt fantastic. Ellie grabbed the well worn, knitted shawl she had arrived in and wrapped it around her shoulders. It created an odd look of homely over handsome, but for lack off anything else it would have to do.

She was quite content to let Miss Pennyfeather to take the lead in this expedition, for she, a lady, presumably knew more about clothing and the like, not to mention it was her money.

Christine nodded and smiled eyeing the shawl but perhaps it meant a lot. If she'd like they could get it replaced while they were out if she wished. "If you see anything you like, don't hesitate to let me know. The worst that would happen is I would say no. " She opened the door for Ellie before following her out to shop. "What would you like first?"

Ellie did feel self conscious but the shawl, but her mother had knitted it for her years ago, so there was considerable sentimental value to the garment, not to mention it was warm, fashion or not at, its thick woolen strands great for keeping the cold Whitby air way from her body.

"Well," Ellie began "We should sort out the dresses first. Ye said ye wanted me to wear a uniform, for work like. Unless ye want me to wear me black." Ellie said referring to the black smock she had arrived at the shop wearing just a little time ago. It was the regulation uniform for many a domestic in houses great and small.

Christine shook her head. "Dear me, no! I don't run a funeral home. I just mean by uniforms, that you wear designated attire. We will find something comfortable that will be easy to clean in and to get cleaned. Velvet and fancier fabrics are very tricky when being cleaned, something that won't stain easily. But we can still find you something pretty to wear in comparison to what you had." She said mostly determined to find such a thing. It had to exist.

She tilted her head as they walked and seemed in thought. "We will get you some more shoes that will fit better, I've no idea how those fit on you though they seem alright. And .." She tried to be careful how to phrase her words. "Would you like another shawl or something for warmth? That is nice but perhaps something in a darker color? Or when the weather turns?"