Hello, guest!
or Register?

Give Me Your Worries, I Will Add Them To My Own
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah walked with Rose at her own pace to her cabin. It was hard to see her so sad, she'd been happy about marriage. They seemed a good match and he was happy for her. Were all the Wards doomed to misery? Were all the people of Whitby? He just sighed and cast off such thoughts as he went to the home and let her inside before following her in. He offered again to help her with the basket or to offer a handkerchief for her tears. 

"I can't believe he's done this to you. You were both happy once." He immediately decided to fix his phrasing. "I mean.. I believe he has, I just mean.. I can not understand why. You are such a lovely woman and have been so much like a beloved sister to me. Even when we've had our problems, it was never anything that would cause this sort of issues.. But please.. sit and talk about it. Do you want me to make you some tea or something?" He asked wanting to help in some way. He had been nothing but useless lately.
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

Rose could hardly remember walking back to the cottage, dazed as she was by her grief and her anxiety about what Elijah would make of the situation. Still, she had the presence of mind to look around before they entered. It was a quieter area of town. She didn’t see anyone she knew in the streets. No gossip-prone neighbours peeping out through curtains either. They were safe.

She took the handkerchief in exchange for her basket and dropped down into a kitchen chair, shaking her head a Elijah began to speak. “No, please, he hasn’t done any… Tea would be lovely,” she gave in exasperated. It was probably better if Elijah made it. It was bad enough that her poor kitchen skills had driven one man away.

“He hasn’t done anything…” she tried again quietly. “It’s rather what he doesn’t do… He keeps away from me. He comes home late, says he’ll eat something at the bakery. Says he wants to work hard to provide for me…” He lip trembled and her voice changed pitch: “But he’s not being honest. He can’t look at me properly. He…” She couldn’t tell Elijah about how he wouldn’t touch her. “He seems to avoid me in every possible way. But when I ask him if something’s wrong, he denies it. I know he’s lying… I think he doesn’t love me anymore, and I think it’s because I’ve been a bad wife!” Those last words came out with a sob.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah busied himself in the kitchen, it was strange to him but he could find what was needed to make a simple cup of tea. As the kettle boiled, he returned to her side. She was a sobbing mess and it did hurt him. She truly was family to him and he didn't want to see her in despair. It had been a happy day when she got married, he wanted the best for her.

"He has?" Elijah wasn't a fool. He had wanted to marry her, and it was true Rose wasn't a good cook. But that was no reason to turn from his wife, the man was a baker. Could he not humble himself enough to make a meal or two if that was the only issue? It sounded like he was distracted by something or someone else. He couldn't let a mere theory though worry or hurt her. He returned to the kitchen to pour their tea and went to sit by her and put down the two tea cups. As he carefully sipped his own, he watched her with some sympathy. "I am truly sorry. I can not understand why he is treating you in such a way. You certainly don't deserve it. Do you want me to check up on him and try to figure out why? I won't .. boldly ask or anything. Just see if I can pick up on something that's been missed?" See if any strange women are acting overly familiar with her husband perhaps?
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

Rose was embarrassed over her tears. She was a grown woman. She shouldn't be blubbering here like a child But she had kept it together for so long, to herself, to her friends, to her family, and she had felt so alone all the while. Now that someone was in fact listening, it was like it all came out at once.

She tried to dry her eyes with the handkerchief. Was it wise to take Elijah's offer? Perhaps Andrew would open up to Elijah. Men among were different when they were among themselves. But Elijah was a bad liar. What is Andrew realized Rose had talked about him and would hate her even more? And did she really want to know what he had to say about her. Rose shook her head, eyes closed into the handkerchief.

But what choice had she? She was miserable. And Andrew only seemed to withdraw more and more. Something had to happen.

"W-would you?" she asked, looking up. "Please, don't let him know I talked to you about it. I don't want to make him even angrier with me."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah tried to give her a comforting half hug before returning to his tea. "Of course. I haven't really met this fellow. So it'll just be me meeting the husband of my friend. You had nothing to do with it." He says with a smile trying to help her ease her worries and figure out what was going on.

"I won't appear to be searching for anything, just getting to know him. Maybe find out from his own words how you met and what made him decide to marry you. I think that'll help us get to the root of the problems. And I can help you. You know I'm here for you." At least he tried to be.
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

The hug was probably inappropriate now that she was another man's wife, but Rose returned it gratefully, holding on a little too long perhaps. The comfort of another person who saw her and was there for her was just what she needed, what she had needed all this time while her husband gave her the cold shoulder. She was aware of his scent and how it stirred up warm feelings. Elijah was safety. He had always been. But as she relished in his warmth and scent, she was acutely aware all the people in her life, Elijah had probably been the most constant, the most reliable. Elijah had been there for her family even in spite of themselves. Fresh tears burned in her eyes as he pulled away and the realization took hold. Her world had been shifting in these past few months and she was beginning to understand things she could not quite put into words yet. She gave Elijah a teary smile. God bless him.

But how afraid she was to lose it all. She turned her eyes down and tried to dry them again. "What if you find out it's my fault? I don't think I could survive disappointing you, Elijah," she whispered.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah worried he had done something wrong again when she pulled back and cried anew. He was prepared to give her a fresh handkerchief if needed, but for now watched her with genuine concern. Rose truly didn't deserve this that he could tell. He was curious what would cause this and wanted to help at lease one person be happy or at least not prolong a lie.

When she smiled he offered a smile back. "I've known you a long time, Rose. And while we all have our... secrets... I feel like I know you well enough that I don't think anything could explain this. None of this is your fault. If he does blame you, that still doesn't mean it is your fault. It just means perhaps he wasn't the one after all. And if that's true... I am sorry. We will cross that bridge when we get to it."
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

Rose nodded slowly, trying to let Elijah's words comfort her. Still, they couldn't ease her worry. She wanted to prepare Elijah for what he might hear about her, but she didn't know how to discuss the issue on her mind without saying something inappropriate. Her heart was beating in her ears. She picked up her cup and held it between her hands, quiet for a few seconds. "I... I wanted to wait havin' children..." she tried at last. She peered into her cup to avoid looking at Elijah.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

He admittedly looked up surprised. He regretted it almost instantly but thankfully she perhaps hadn't noticed. He took a sip of his tea then shook his head. "Then all the more reason he shouldn't be treating you like this. How could he be a good father if he treats you so coldly? You have had a lot going on this last year and with your sister..." His voice trailed off for a moment. "I don't think anyone could blame you for wanting to wait just a little. It isn't like you were saying never , it hasn't even been an entire year of marriage."
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

Rose missed the look of surprise, as her eye were turned down. She looked up sheepishly when Elijah spoke. Did he even understand the issue she was referring to? It was a far as she could go. She couldn't possibly discuss the actual making of babies with Elijah. She nodded. "Thank you, Elijah. Please don't tell anyone things aren't goin' well between Andrew and me. Nobody knows."