Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

When The Boat Comes In

195 Posts
7 Threads

Height: 5'8''

"Aye... She's a good 'un." Bill agreed with her. He ate and pondered quietly while she busied herself with the scones. Then when she sat them on the table he slapped his hand on the table. "Bless ye, child. Those are the best lookin' scones I've ever seen. Ye could 'ave opened a bakery!"
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'2"

"Do you really think?" she asked in surprise, blushing prettily. She seemed to gain a small smile with that one. "Thank you. I just... I never had a chance to share it with others besides Joe and perhaps folks who deserved a pick-me-up..." She picked up the tea again and swallowed heavily, keeping her gaze averted from the fish. The tea was just the trick to keep the scent at bay... just enough to mask it. She would take her time cradling the cup close to her face. Besides, she always enjoyed just smelling the tea. "I know I tend to cook fancier things but... I learned from the cook. I preferred to hide in the kitchen than to spend time embroidering another sampler or reading a bland book. If I have to listen to another off-key piano performance from some socialite or another...." She paused, shook her head and then sipped from her cup. "To be honest, I think wealth is... Maybe it's like a competition for some. Who has the bluest blood? We're gentry, we're not aristocrats."

195 Posts
7 Threads

Bill worked away as much fish and chips as he could while she talked, not so much because he noticed her averting her eyes from the food - he didn't - but because he realized it was getting late and Lottie might be home soon and give him judgmental looks.

"Aye, well, I s'ppose if ye've nowt useful to do with yer time, that's what ye'd end up doin', wouldn't ye? Although..." An idea had suddenly occurred to him. Pearl seemed so sweet and eager to help out, surely she wouldn't mind. "Ye any good at needlework then? Ye said ye don't like it, but our Kate, poor lass, she's no good, to be blunt, and she 'as to get better fer school, ye see. And I think Lottie's patience is wearin' thin. She could do with some extra lessons from someone..." meeker "... different."
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

"I would love to get to know her. I will ask her if she wants to sit outside with me when it's warm and do some needlework as you say. I find it opens up the mind to be in a peaceful place and it'd probably do her some good." She gave a winsome smile and gazed at her father in law with a twinkle in her eye. "I would love to know what it's like to have a sister who laughs prettily at something happy." She chuckled.

195 Posts
7 Threads

"Ye're a right angel," Bill replied. "I'm sure t' two of ye will be great friends. She's a sweetheart and right clever like yerself. She's a pupil teacher, as I'm sure Joe told ye. Gonna be a real teacher if she can get the Queen's scholarship. She works 'ard for it too." It was clear from the way Bill spoke and the way his eyes lit up that young Kate was his pride. "It's just that she's poor at needlework. Strange lass, that. Got a mind for numbers and math and all that 'ard stuff, and the neatest handwriting ye'll ever see. But put a needle in 'er hands and she's more likely to poke 'erself than t' fabric." He shook his head and shoved some more chips into his mouth for comfort at this one disappointment with Kate.
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

Her husband had not yet been able to fill her in on his family. That particular thought made her feel a little guilty, and it could be seen in a brief expression. "Da," she started, "I'm afraid I have been a little selfish. I intend to rectify it, of course, but you must know he knows more about me than I do about him... I admit things moved a bit fast, would it be alright to do it right later with a more official feeling ceremony? Perhaps we could even celebrate later at a time when I've actually gotten to ask questions. I would love to know you all better, I would love to make sure I know Joe more than I do now. I do know that I love him enough to do that. And it is an honor to have a family who understands the truth of things. As far as Kate goes, I will be as if she is my real sister. I will help her get to where she deserves to go, she deserves this opportunity."

195 Posts
7 Threads

Bill finished his meal. "Well, then ye understand ye should 'ave done things properly lass. But aye, I wouldn't mind if ye 'ad an official kind of celebration later one, though I suggest we give it some time. Wait for the newspapers to find summat else to write about, first. And then, it's really Lottie ye'll need to speak to. She's the one who's in charge of what 'appens in this 'ouse, ye see? I just tag along and keep me 'ead down," he added with a wink.
Posting Freak

770 Posts
24 Threads

She smiled at that. Lottie loved her it seemed, and now Bill was on her side. Pearl didn't know why she felt emotional and misty eyed all of a sudden. Joe's family made her feel the actual kind of love, the kind without strings and hatred involved. She would never regret running into Joe's arms, only that it took an act of extreme measures to run away from her family. She looked down into her cup and gave herself a chance to take it in, to bask in the feeling of joy that was blossoming in her heart for the open arms of Lottie and now Bill (not physically).

And now, perhaps, she could start to heal. She thought about the different things that were going on and she thought about what she might want for the future, how she wanted to proceed. She could find meaningful employment or make her own work. Hell, she had plenty of things to inspire novels. Perhaps it was time to pursue that. After all, she had to start somewhere. In the meantime, she would enjoy spending time with her young sister in law.

"Thank you," she said with a raspy whisper.

195 Posts
7 Threads

Oh dear. Was she crying again? Had he said something wrong? Bill shifted uncomfortably in his seat, then hesitantly reached out and patted her hand. "There now, don't cry, lassie. I shouldn't 'ave scolded ye. Or is it t' newspapers? Don't mind 'em. It may seem bad now, but everyone will 'ave forgotten about it in a month, ye'll see."