or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Excellent is the Final Home [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: [Here]
Height: 5'3"

Was it sincere? Was it just another ploy to keep him caught in her web? Did he even care about truth or lies any more? Part of him just wanted to give in, to have somewhere solid to land … even if it was his own concrete slab.

Maybe it was time to embrace his end, rather than just flirt with it.

“Not any more than I can return to the man I was when Baba was still alive. We’re both…”

Broken. Beyond repair, and beyond redemption. He sucked his teeth as he allowed himself to look at her fully. Remember her with that rope device in her hands, covered in blood. Remember every cadaver he’d ever seen with rope burns around the neck, wondering how long they suffered. How long he suffered for the crime of loving his daughter too much.

“Changed.”

Haunted. Inconsolably lonely with all the destruction that entailed behind them, be it self- or other-directed.

“You can stomach things most women would struggle with, and you aren’t affected by corpses. Nurses are always in demand, be they local or for greater opportunity abroad.”

135 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'1"

Nisa sighed and looked down at her hands neatly folded.

"I really never thought he'd take the blame. I certainly never asked him to. I was still so angry at you both." She looked away in deep thought. She wasn't completely sorry, it was really his fault that he'd taken it and not pointed the finger at the real person. She had gotten over that rage though and missed him. She missed her old maiden life and it only made the anger and frustration burn brighter when it hit her.

"People change anyway, but we did more than most. But I was sincere when I said I wouldn't hurt you. And I have been planning to keep my promise not to touch that woman you like. Now, I don't know what to do."

She stared at him. "I'm sorry brother, but I think it is obvious. I am not a healer."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

Aslan let out a sigh.

“I was just glad to see you again. I wondered if you were avoiding us.”

That was embarrassing to admit in context. Abdul had lasted a lot longer before she was around again, though.

“You never were the typical woman,” he said with a half-hearted smile. “A lawyer, a doctor, a detective,” he repeated out loud, studying her. “Two of those demand education and a certain anatomy.”

It had been silly to chase the third, but ‘esquire’ sounded like something someone over-compensating would need. And doctor had sounded … well, like someone else. Not exciting enough to a boy who had never knowingly faced life or death yet.

“There are cases that could benefit from a woman’s touch. No one suspects a woman,” he pointed out wryly.

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa bit back the comment that he was such a good detective to think she'd avoid her family. "Never. I loved you both." As much as she loved anyone ever.

She made a small noise in the back of her throat. Of course she couldn't do some of it, it was a man's world after all. She glanced down and took a sip of her tea. When he mentioned cases, she looked up curiously. Oh, the joy of running after a criminal. Catching them in an alley. If they tried to fight her and she had to defend herself... She smiled sweetly at him and nodded.

"That does sound more like my style. I have never done such a thing before, but it sounds desirable. Perhaps you could assist giving me some lessons. You know I can handle myself."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

He’d hoped she was avoiding him. It had been easier that way. Wishful thinking was the same thing, right?

Aslan blew on his tea, studying it a moment. When she answered in the affirmative, his gaze was flat. This was where he feigned shock if he wasn’t so busy deciding which petty criminals he cared the least for.

“I’m more worried for them than you,” he shrugged. “I can give you leads … but much of this comes down to flying or falling. A lot of cheating wives would probably talk more freely to you. Occasionally, some of the businessmen want dirt on each other and will pay a pretty bit, too.”

He folded his hands behind his head, looking to the ceiling. Did he send her into potentially violent cases?

“Think you can let cheating wives and their brothel-sniffing husbands live long enough to collect?”

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa actually smirked as she stared down. "I am happy that you think so highly of me that you are worried of them." He was also right that she would have trouble containing herself around cheaters and some of these horrible people she'd have to deal with. Not including the ones she'd be spying on! And spying in itself was so unladylike. But this was her chance to do something unladylike and thrilling.

"I can. Perhaps I'll start compiling a list for when I can't control myself any longer. It would protect those you actually like being around." She said to him. "Though I've rarely done anything to those you really liked."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

Aslan took a sip of his tea.

If it killed him, Allah intervened.

If he lived, it was time to forge a new path of regrets.

“The Regatta is soon. There is always something seedy happening at the pier those nights … but during the Angel Hotel’s ball? It’s the worst.”

He touched his chin, peering at her.

“Go there with a notebook and make a list. Find out as much as you can about ten people that night. Pay attention to who talks to you more easily. To who you can get a faster read on.”

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa watched him as he drank the tea. Allah spared him that night, the tea was fair and no wooziness took him. She listened to him, her face giving a mild look of curiosity though what brewed beneath the surface was a mystery as always.

Go the pier? Take notes? It sounded so very anti-climatic, but his warning promised otherwise. She gave him a small nod. Already ideas came to her, how to get people to speak to her more easily and how to get them to talk faster.

"I think this will be a piece of cake, brother. What will you do if I beat your expectations."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

“If you wildly exceed my expectations, dear sister? Well, I’ll just have to give you my detective hat.”

He might never admit it, but the next night she would well surpass it by the mere virtue of dressing down.

“Do I have your blessing to go to York?”

He had no idea where he’d actually stay, and how long, but Allah forbid he actually tell the real story rather than buckle down on a fake one.

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa smiled slightly at the promise of his hat. She would do all she could to surprise him.

She folded her hands together and smiled. "I never said you couldn't go. I was worried you would be gone forever. If you go to York and don't return soon, I may test out my detective skills to track you down. "