Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] What Comes Next? [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

205 Posts
6 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Height: 5'4"

She went into the kitchen, carrying the tiny bundle so tenderly as if the babe was her own. At first, she looked at the young girl who was speaking to her and she said in reply, "I will try my best to see that the babe is alright." Then she did what mothers did and prepared herself for nursing the child. Soon, the babe was suckling greedily at a pained breast and Iris was soon singing a soft song to the little one.

67 Posts
0 Threads

The infant had some trouble drinking at first, not having been breastfed before, but soon she managed to suck properly, and her body calmed and she drank happily. The girl looked on in delight. "Oh, I've nivver seen a bairn drink so heartily. Now she'll live for sure! Bless ye, ma'm!" Now that she knew the babe was alright, she focused on the shirt while waiting for the feeding to be done.

205 Posts
6 Threads

She was trying her best not to fall in love with the little girl who suckled at her breast but it was hard not to. She idly caressed the downy crown of the babe's head and murmured, "That's it little one... That's it..." She gazed at the wee thing and said softly, "She is so tiny. Does she have a name yet?"

67 Posts
0 Threads

"Aye she was born only two days ago'," said the girl. "She doesn't yet. Mr. Appleton wanted Mrs. Appleton to name 'er, but she..." The girl stopped herself and blushed. She cast her eyes down. "She's too weak. 'E would 'ave named 'er to 'ave 'er baptized, because we weren't sure if she was goin' to make it, but the minister was out of town. 'E'll be ere this afternoon, so she'll be named soon." She watched the little girl drink. "But I think she'll make it now. We've all been worried and the house 'as been chaos, until now. But she's hungry, and a hungry bairn is a healthy bairn, 's what my mam says."

The little infant's mouth was still latching on, but she had stopped drinking and was dozing.

205 Posts
6 Threads

She did not move the babe just yet when she stopped suckling, looking down at her to make sure she was done because she knew that babies sometimes did that. "She is peaceful now that she had a full belly. Aye, babe, its time to rest." She closed her eyes for a moment. Eventually, when it was evident that the baby was done, she detached herself from the child and righted her clothing.

744 Posts
16 Threads

The girl smiled. "Oh t' master will be glad. 'E's not been 'imself worrin' o'er t'bairn." She stood up and put her work down. "Come let's tell 'im!" She led Iris out of the kitchen, provided she followed. The older woman was gone, and Mr. Appleton, who had been pacing, stopped in his tracks and looked at the women.

"She's drinkin' as well as a bairn ever did, ser!" said the girl, and her master visibly relaxed. He looked at Iris.

"Thank you. You don't know how glad we are that you could make it so quickly." He held out his hands for the babe. "Jenny, bring Mrs. Carpenter some tea and cake, she must be tired after her journey. Mrs. Carpenter, please sit down. Jenny will take your bag up in a moment." The servant girl disappeared back into the kitchen.

205 Posts
6 Threads

She followed the girl into the room where Mr. Appleton paced. She offered the child over before sitting down, not minding if he didn't take the babe and that would be clear by the tender, yet extremely sad expression she had on her face. "She rests now," she said softly.

744 Posts
16 Threads

Tobias took the infant carefully into his arms and sat down. He made sure the little girl was comfortable and properly supported before he turned to Iris. "Yes, thank you so much," he said. "You shall have the guest room upstairs, and the cot is already there. She is hungry about every two hours, though she wouldn't drink properly before. I hope that will be better now. My wife is still recovering. It was a difficult birth and her nerves are shaken, so all the care falls onto you. You may ask Jenny for assistance, and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask."

205 Posts
6 Threads

She nodded to him, though she didn't actually... look at him. She was looking off in the distance. "You needn't thank me, Mr. Appleton. If I can save her life..." she got a little emotional as she said that and trailed off justifiably. Her mouth quivered and her brow puckered, but that was it before she seemed to steel herself. The young widow sat when she was bid to. "I am sorry to hear of your wife," she said in a soft, empathetic tone.

744 Posts
16 Threads

The farmer looked uncomfortable with the sudden display of emotion. He frowned and bit his lip, and seemed to consider several things in his mind. He looked grateful when she managed to recover. He nodded. "Other than the care of my daughter, you are free to do as you like, as long as you don't take the bairn outside while she's still gaining her strength."

He stopped for a moment, for Jenny entered with a tray with two cups of tea, milk, sugar, and a piece of cake. She set one cup and the cake in front of Iris, and handed Tobias the other. "There ye go, ma'm. I'll take yer bag upstairs now, if ye don't mind." and provided Iris did not resist, she took the bag.

"Please check on Mrs. Appleton and see if there is anything she needs," Tobias asked. The girl nodded and went upstairs.

Mr. Appleton turned back to Iris: "If I can get you anything to make your stay more comfortable, books, or anything, please let me know. There's several on the shelves over there. Feel free to borrow them. You may take your meals down here with me, and perhaps with Mrs. Appleton once she feels better..." A shadow moved over his face. "If you feel hungry in between meals, you need merely ask Jenny and she'll bring you something."