Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] I Just Don't Know [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'11"

"Because they automatically think I am 'good' due to you. They like you because of your position and because you are supposed to be caring due to your job. Or maybe you are a truly kind man so this job felt natural. Either way, people have a natural feeling of trust and wanting to please you. For themselves and those in their group who believe in it." 

He shrugged and started to walk to get away from the stink. "And no offense, but I don't know if being friends with some busy mom who has a lot of kids will help me at all."
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

Height: 5'9

Gabriel shrugged. "Maybe you could help them." They crossed a network of yards, none quite as awful as the one they had left. "Anyway, I wasn't saying you have to befriend her, I was just trying to show you that poor people can be kind and welcoming, and that they are not without dignity. Whether you choose to associate yourself with them is up to you."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius shrugged. "If they were in a better mood and less demanding of God, they might have wanted me for my money. " He walked along and glanced at the other man. "And you know I'm not being cold about not wanting to help. You yourself must realize when you try to help others, you can only do so much. There isn't enough to go around. And they don't see the good you did, just the good you did not."
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

Gabriel rubbed his brow and sighed. Was this guy determined to be pessimistic. "That doesn't make the good you've done meaningless." They returned to the main road, and Gabriel had to step out of a carriage's way. "Their motives may not be entirely pure, but who are you to evaluate? They need money to feed their children, to clothe themselves and to avoid losing their home, and more often than not, they lack it, whereas you, their brother from the same human family have never had to worry about these things, and have more money than you could ever need, all because of the divisions we have created between ourselves and chance. Aren't they, with their pressing needs and ambiguous motivations, and you, friendless as you are, victims of the same unnatural injustice?"

And this was why so many wealthy people had stopped coming to church and why the bishop was sending him angry letters.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius held up a hand, "That is bad fate. They were born poor, and I can not change that. While, perhaps they can't be blamed, they can't be fully trusted. Their condition might leave most desperate or angry, or both. But that isn't the only barrier. You forget the rich don't like me either. "
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

Gabriel sighed. This young nonchalant attitude towards the poor made him angry and frustrated, so much so that he wanted to walk away. "Perhaps you should try to accommodate to them more." He said. "I cannot imagine what else could help you get over these feelings of grief and grudge, other than trying to forgive..."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius frowned at him. "I'm not a holy man. I don't see why I should forgive someone who murdered my friend. I don't even know how to. I don't feel any desire to and feel like I'd be betraying him as he wouldn't want me to." He sighed and shook his head. "I know. I'm being difficult. I came to you for help and I'm not listening. I just don't feel like it's giving me answers. I feel like you're just using me to help the poor. And maybe you aren't. It's just what it feels like."
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

"I thought if you turn away from your own struggles and try to relate to other people, maybe the kind you don't normally engage with, it might help you grow past this and see new paths ahead..." Gabriel said. I can't do miracles. I can't take people's feelings or struggles away."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius frowned and cocked his head to the side. "When you put it like that.. I can only imagine mother and father's reaction if they discovered I was around the destitute. They would think I'd lost my mind even more." He laughed lightly. "Fine, I'll try it your stupid way. But if I get stabbed, I will come back as a phantom and haunt you so you never know a moment's rest.'
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

Gabriel smiled at him. "I'm not telling you to be a fool. I'm not saying there aren't folk with ill intentions about. You needn't go wander the yards and lanes at night in your fanciest clothes. But you can offer what you have, and you'll find that more often than not, they will be glad to offer you what they have to offer in return. I'm planning a meeting to discuss some of this town's problems. I'm inviting a diversity of people. Why don't you come. It will give you an opportunity to help, and it will give you a chance to meet people."