Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] I Just Don't Know [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'11"

Darius nodded slightly to the kid. "I'm Darius." He wanted more to leave instead of seeing this kid given his last rites. "Nice to meet you."
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

Height: 5'9

The boy smiled at Darius. "Nice to meet ye too." He turned back to Gabriel.
"T' doctor says I'm dyin', father. Is that true?"
"Yes, Frank. I'm afraid you are." Gabriel said as calmly as he could.
"Will I go to heaven?" the boy asked.
"You'll be there with your father, and with saint Francis, and Mary and God," the priest tried to comfort.
The boy nodded. "'ave ye come to annoint me?"
Gabriel nodded. "Have you any grave sins to confess since your last confession?"
"No father." Gabriel smiled at him. Then he took a little silver chrismatory from his pocket and handed it to the boy's mother to hold out for him. He put his stole around his neck and took a leather-bound book. Then he read a Scripture passage, said a few prayers and finally took some of the oil and made a cross on the boy's forehead. Then he took a small round silver box from his pocket, took out a consecrated host and held it out for the boy. "Corpus Christi."
"Amen," the boy said and he held out his tongue, and Gabriel placed the host on it. The boy's mother crossed herself and wiped away a tear.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius hung his head. It was the best way to look somber while he wondered why he was there. Seeing a sad family in such a time showed him little. He certainly didn't want to interrupt or lessen the seriousness.
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

Gabriel finished the rite. "Thank you so much, father." His mother said.
"You're welcome, Mrs. Drew. I wish there was more I could do for him." He took the boy's hand. It was bony and the grip was weak. "You keep strong while you can, Frank. For your family. And say a little prayer for me, and for Darius, if you will?"
"I will, father." The boy said.
"Thank you." He got up, and Mrs. Drew handed him the chrismatory and his hat. Then she turned to Darius.
"Oh ser. Was the bread not to your liking? I'm so sorry. We haven't owt else to offer ye."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius was quick to his feet, ready to leave. "It was fine. Just went down the pipe wrong. No one's fault, sorry for the disturbance. " He tried to offer a smile but he just wanted to leave.
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

"Alright then. I hope ye feel better now, ser." She showed them out. "Thank you again, father." And when they were out, she closed the door behind her.

Gabriel looked at Darius as they walked across the gallery. "I hope you aren't too irritated with me," he said quietly.
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

"I don't know what you wanted me to realize from that.  Seeing a dying child and their mourning family doesn't show much. I suspect most who would treat others terribly would still feel pain for those close , even more so their own child. I'm irritated but not angry. More angry at that bread I had to eat. They needed it more than me."
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

"But that is the point, exactly! It's not about how they treated one another. It's how they treated you." They walked down the stairs, back into the dirty, smelly lane. Yet Gabriel stopped to fully look at Darius. "These people, whom you called undignified and stupid, are in the middle of a family crisis. And believe me, its more than the death of that poor boy. They'll be evicted in a week's time. They among the poorest of this town. And yet they still welcomed you as a guest and shared what they could. At that was their very dignity. Had you not eaten that bread, you may have saved more for them, but you would have harmed their dignity, their opportunity to show you kindness."
Artistic Aristocrat

590 Posts
8 Threads

Darius shrugged, "It is because you called me a friend. They did it for you. Had I been a random soul who knocked and asked for bread they'd probably say no. But being with you gave me already a welcome. I appreciate the attempt, it just failed. Can we go? " He covered his nose again.
Posting Freak

764 Posts
15 Threads

Gabriel started walking. "But had you given them a chance, you could have become their friend."