Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] One Sunday Morning [Churches, Abbey, and Schools]
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah shook his head. "Calm yourself, Ben. I have every right to say his name. Noah seemed like he loved Alice and was just scared, that's why he was rude to her. And he was honestly just foolish and didn't know he could have been the father. He wanted a chance to make it up to her and have you accept him. Kids do foolish things and can get scared. You've seen it before in your children. That's why they ran away from home, that's why .. some people make bigger mistakes that could make them get killed. "He wouldn't mention Simon though he fit the situation.

"You need to forgive and let them move on or they find themselves in bigger situations and panic more."

He apologized again to Tobias, "It is nothing against you, truly. You seem kind, it is the distance and .. the suddenness. "

He pointed at Ben as he spoke. "What if she gets married and she is unhappy. Just because she is so far from home and her family. She could get upset and try to run away to go home for just a little while and get lost in the moors. What then? I think you need to consider her feelings more."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Height: 5'8''

Ben suddenly became aware of the other children and turned to them. "Please leave us for a moment," The children left, trying to catch Alice's eye. But she didn't look at them.

Ben turned to Elijah. He hadn't mentioned Simon. And yet Ben knew full well what he was talking about. It did nothing to calm him down. "I don't wish ill on Noah." Not anymore. There had been retribution. There had been a clear warning. Now the community could move on and deal with more pressing issues. That was how things had always been settled. "But I wouldn't entrust my daughter to him, even if it weren't for Tobias' offer."

"Actually..." Tobias got up. "Let me step outside for a bit as well. I stick to what I said, Ben. I will take no offense if you change your mind in Alice's best interest. Nor you, Alice."

Alice nodded quietly and Tobias stepped out.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah didn't like that everyone was leaving. It meant they were alone and anything could happen. He didn't think Ben would attack him, but who really knew? The important thing was there were no witnesses.

"You say that but why? Why are you so willing to lose your daughter? As long as she was married, isn't that what matters? You really don't care you might never see her again after she gets married?" He frowned hard at Ben as he couldn't believe it.
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

"Don't be ridiculous. It's a two hour drive. They can come down every weekend. Or I can go. It's forty minutes by train. I would have preferred to keep her in Whitby, but any offers she would get after the men asked around - if any at all - would likely be from their relatives in other villages. I don't want my daughter gone. I want her safely married, to someone who can take the responsibility. Tobias has a farm - he owns that farm, Elijah, he doesn't just rent it. He is mature and responsible. And he's been very considerate, all along. Which is more than I can say of Noah Longbottom."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

"You wouldn't have the time to visit her, and that's if your health stays this good. And she'll have a baby soon, she won't be able to just travel. She'll be very busy, and be all alone with strange people in a strange town. He's almost twice her age and Noah isn't even eighteen yet. He is young and foolish, but he was willing to work to being a better person. You are so against giving other people a second chance. I am sorry to say this but what will happen if your sons make the same mistakes when they are older? They don't seem like they would, but a lot can happen when one is a teenager."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Ben narrowed his eyes and leaned forward. "Then they'd face the same as what Noah faced, and I'd hope it would put some sense into them. But if they were as irresponsible as Noah, I should hope the girl would get a better offer."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah frowned more. "You would think of your own children as no good because of a mistake?" He leaned towards him too and dropped his voice, "Ben, I want to make one thing clear. While I don't know who else was involved, the only reason none of you were sitting in prison for assault is because HE didn't want to press charges. Sound familiar? I did not and have not ever accepted violence against another. I have had a lot of respect for you and I know I've owed you a lot, but I swear. Hearing you spout this sort of thing really makes me lose some. We have different opinions, but the difference is, I can stop your personal opinion on punishments as part of my job."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

[Reference to domestic violence]

Ben's face hardened and he turned pale as he sat back. "I wouldn't believe my sons are no good." He said, after a moment of silence. "And I hope Noah turns his life around, Elijah. I really do. He and I come from very similar homes and I know he can be become better than his parents. I don't wish no ill on that boy. But I wouldn't trust him with my daughter. He might change his mind again next week. And then what? That boy drinks. I've seen how drunk men treat their wives, Elijah, and it ain't pretty."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah felt a twitch. How he wanted to remind Ben what sober men have done to their children. "You could give him a chance. If he loves her, he'll stick with you and work for you for a little while. Since she's already known to be pregnant, there is no reason to rush as long as she's married before it's born. Good children can come from people no matter the parents as long as they are given a chance. Alice would be happier if you gave him just a chance."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Alice was in fact sitting by her father's side looking even more miserable than before.

"Aye. If he loves her. And if in a week's time he'll change his mind again, he'll run off, or go drinkin' or back to doin' whatever he was doin' and she'll be left with nowt. And that's one of the better scenarios I can think of with Noah."