Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Enter Hortencia Coggins [Railway Station]

28 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: 5'7"

"It doesn't seem like it has changed much in the last several years, but we aren't yet beyond this bench," she gave a slightly wheezy chuckle as they spoke, her hand moving again to her sternum while she sought to catch her breath. "The way Whitby looks matters less to me than some of the people who I am hoping to see." She gave a slight smile at that and the sound of hooves clopping came to her attention. That must have been the cab nearing, she thought, and it was. "This must be for me." She moved to get her belongings, not asking for help even though he was offering at every turn.

23 Posts
0 Threads

Pronouns: he/him
Plotter: The Hutchie Gazette
Height: 5ft 10 inches
Alias: Hutchie

Mark gestured. "Please allow me, don't strain yourself" he picked up her belongings but it wasn't long before the horses came into view and stopped in front of them. He placed her belongings in the luggage rack before opening the side door of the carriage and offering her a hand into the Cabin. "After you ma'am"

28 Posts
4 Threads

She peered at the man for a moment and merely nodded. When it came time to get in the cab, she let him help her up. She paused long enough to tell the driver where she was going. They were soon off, the cab rattling along the roads at a regular pace. "I appreciate you wanting to help me, Mister Harwell. That is very kind of you." She was not used to even being given such consideration. As the cab clattered on, she gazed out the window, her body moving and swaying with the horse drawn vehicle. "It seems not too much has changed since I was here last."

23 Posts
0 Threads

Mark nodded "my pleasure ma'am." He climbed into the coach beside her and waited as they trundled through the town along the cobbled paths. Mark had been born and raised in whitby. His family was originally from there and he hadn't left the place for anything longer than a few days at a time. He had become numb to the town. Mark thought for a moment before speaking "to be honest it's all I've ever known and I suppose in a way I've become numb to what the village is like because I've never been away from the place"

28 Posts
4 Threads

"I can see why that would happen," she murmured as the cab moved toward her destination. She considered telling him the truth of her identity, but she needed to make sure he was trustworthy first. There were some carefully orchestrated things happening already, things that she had bided her time with to plan. After all, going off half cocked never ended well in her experience. She also had a lot on the line. She hardly dared think that her daughter knew of her if she remembered anything about Anne at all.

She'd been given no choice but to wait. She had hired a private investigator months prior and been kept up to date as to the goings on of the Carrington family... she knew that Pearl had eloped with a man closer to her birth mother's class without even knowing it. She was neither pleased nor displeased as of yet, reserving her opinion of the young man for another time.

The former nanny found herself staring out the window, not speaking for the majority of the trip.

23 Posts
0 Threads

Mark sighed "it's funny, when I was younger all I wanted to do was travel the world and see whats out there but like many of us. I've never even left the county. Let alone traveled abroad and yet I am a harbour master."

He glanced out the window. It was unusual for him to see the town in this way. He usually walked but didn't leave the waterfront that often. Only really for food but this was different. There was something about this woman that intrigued him and he wanted to know more about her. "Do you have any ties to whitby yourself? Fresh start?"

28 Posts
4 Threads

Hortencia hesitated, and then she asked him one question. "Will you keep a secret?" When she saw his nod and heard his affirmation, she looked down, took a deep breath, and spent the rest of the ride and even after it stopped, explaining the situation. There was a lot to be heard, a lot needed to be said because she needed help to execute carefully laid out plans. She started with the truth that the readers all know about, that she was the nanny to the Carrington children and that she succumbed to the advances of a then, much younger Magnus. She explained that he had her removed as soon as her belly was starting to swell and that she went through the pregnancy very ill and it wasn't clear whether she would make it beyond the birth. She went on to explain the things that you, the readers, shan't find out until later in the storyline. Patience.

By the end of it all, she had explained what she was doing, why she was doing it, and why she needed help to do it.

"I need someone to carry out the legwork as I am not healthy to do so. I cannot tell you how long I have left, but I have a feeling it will be sooner, rather than later, that I finally leave this world and find peace. Perhaps by then, wrongs shall be righted, and the truth shall set Pearl free."

With that, she finally rapped on the ceiling for the driver to help them out. Assuming Mark got out first and helped her down, she then looked at the small abode, it was not as bad as she thought it would be based on the description when she bought it sight unseen. She pulled out the key that had been shipped to her about a week prior when arrangements were finalized. She took a deep breath and entered the lodge that was hers until she drew her last breath. It was humble, the furniture was outdated and somewhat faded but looked comfortable enough. She was winded by the time she reached the winged chair that was still covered with a dust cover (most had been removed but people were busy.)

She removed the cover with a little more effort than the normal person would have to take, but she didn't want to keep asking for help and she wanted to retain some of her independence for as long as possible. She sat down with a weary sigh and gestured for Mark to have a seat if he so desired. "I've told you everything at this point and so far only you and the person I bought this home from know anything, so again, I urge you to remain silent about it all until I tell you it's time for the truth to come out." She trusted him, but it was sill necessary feeling to reiterate things.

If someone were to go to a reporter, it would be her or him with her permission, and that time would not be coming until she was sure that if she didn't talk, it would never come out.

23 Posts
0 Threads

Marked nodded "you have my word, I will keep my silence. I have no interest in Idle gossip." He paused for a moment "what you tell me will remain between me and you. Anything you want kept secret documentation wise. You can have access to my safe in the harbour. There is only two keys. Both of which I hold and your welcome to hold into one of them"

He thought for a moment. "I must warn you though that there is a young reporter causing trouble about here. He's already causing issues for the Blackes and other families"

Mark nodded "anyway I can help you I will, you have access to all of my resources aswell including storage"

Mark excited the carriage first and helped. He turned and unsecured her luggage before tipping the Cab driver and heading into the house. He entered the house and saw that she had sat down and joined her.

He sat back in the chair "the person you bought this house from is Augustus Whitaker III, this is part of his estate and he is one of my largest clients. I wont risk loosing yours or his trust. You have my word ma'am. I wont way to anyone. As I said you have access to my safe to store anything confidential and also I have storage space at the harbour if you need secure storage. You can also use my board room if you so wish. My place is yours too"

28 Posts
4 Threads

She nodded wearily. There were no tears from this woman, only a quiet solemnity and strength that not many people understood. It was nice to know that things were going as she was hoping they would go. Hortencia had even told him her true name, the only name Magnus and his family would remember her by if they even remembered her at all. There were many things that needed to be done and she wondered if she had enough time to put the past to rest once and for all. She could only hope this man that she trusted in, someone who's company she'd allowed because she wanted to gauge whether or not there would be someone she could confide in.

Her eyes were somewhat guarded as she peered at him, although the rest of her expression showed that she was particularly deep in thought. It'd been cathartic, in a way. "I want to write Anne Carrington a letter. If you would kindly deliver it to her along with the bank notes I wish to pass along to her." She had originally planned to face Magnus, but seeing him would only anger her and she did not feel the need to stew for what time she had left. Her heart gave a flutter as it did sometimes, she looked ashen in the next instance. It took her a moment to catch her breath again, but she managed to keep herself upright as she realized that the very thought of what she was about to do caused her such worry.

"I will, of course, compensate you for your time if you wish. I am not without funds, as you know. I am already making arrangements for other things. And... thank you. I... I only hope that I am doing the right thing." She looked up at him with such emotion that it was palpable. There was such guilt, such hurt, and a myriad of other emotions swirling within her that outwardly expressed.

She wished that things had not happened the way they did... it could not be changed, however. The only thing left to do was move forward. It was time.

23 Posts
0 Threads

Mark nodded "im more than happy to do your leg work for you"

Mark shook his head "you've nothing to compensate me for. I'm more than happy to help you. My services are yours to use as you need, I have no interest in financial gain here. I'm not here for that" deep down he liked the woman. He could tell she was trying to do the right thing by her family and Mark wanted to help anyway he could. Mark did not know how long she had left but if he could help her come to peace with her past he would. He spoke once more "I'm sure deep down you are doing what's right and what is best for the situation"