or Register?

[CW] Nightshift
Leading Firefighter

8 Posts
1 Thread

Pronouns: He/him
Height: 6ft
Alias: Hutchie

His watch had been on since 6pm and it was approaching 10pm. Another hour and they would all head to bed for a couple of hours rest and would respond to the siren if there was a fire.

It has been Ruadhains turn to cook for the crew and he had made fish pie for the crew using fish he had gotten from the Wards fish stand that was fresh this morning. 

The crew had checked all the kit on the cart and had settled down for the evening. The training had been complete and they enjoyed their own down time to relax.

Ruadhain sat upstairs and flicked through todays paper. He heard footsteps coming towards him and without looking up muttered "what can I do for you laddie?"

286 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: Joe's Jotter
Height: 5 feet 10
Alias: BlackAck

Joe answered "Is the waitin' common in this job?"

His new job, chosen on the spur of the moment had caused some concern in the new branch of Blacke family. Pearl expressed fears for his safety, but Joe had yet to feel the heat of real danger. He had made arguments that he would be helping others, ultimately more rewarding path than the life behind a desk that her father had promised him. Such an offer was unlikely to be extended again given their recent rash decision to marry.

Instead he had climbed many ladders, reeled many hoses, and polished much brass. Recent excitement had been rescuing a fat fisher child wedged tightly in a barrel. Yet he knew how to wait, having done his share of it on the railway.
Leading Firefighter

8 Posts
1 Thread

Ruadhain folded up his paper and placed it onto the table and gestured to the free seat opposite him most of the crew had settled into there bunk for the night and there was only a couple still awake.

He continued to speak "it can be Joe, some nights you don't get a moments rest. Other nights we sit and play cards to pass the time. Don't be too eager to run in"

He placed both hands on the top of his thighs and sighed sitting back into his chair "youve got a sensible head on your shoulders and a family to think about aswell. Where would you like to see yourself?"

Joe had only recently joined but Ruadhain wanted to figure him out and see what his thoughts were

286 Posts
8 Threads

If that same question had been asked of him last year, Joe would have replied, working on the railway, so who could say what the future held?

"I'll settle for 'avin' steady pay, a roof ta sleep under, and a wife who's not mad at me."
Leading Firefighter

8 Posts
1 Thread

He sighed and spoke once more "youve got potential kid. I see it in you. You could make a career in this industry. Your young and I can see you having your own station in years to come. Stick with me and ill teach you. Someone has to replace me in the near future if I step up or retire!"

Ruadhan always liked to gauge those he worked with but he was right. Joe was sensible and had potential and he wanted to help him develop and go further.

286 Posts
8 Threads

Glamourous thoughts of uniforms, responsibility, prestige flared. He could make a real go of this and become a man his wife and the community could be proud of. But such lofty thoughts of the future fizzled as his mind returned to the anxious tempest of the present.

"Thank ye. I just want things a quiet down at 'ome and make a go of this new work. I don't want botha."