Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Mother Some More [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

325 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Alias: BlackAck

Lottie remained silent as Anne spoke about the stickier points of marriage - those things often thought, but seldom said. The woman took a heavy draft of tea.

"Don't be ashamed, Anne, yer absolutely right." She responded with the benefit of age and experience. "Ye must be the person the Lord made ye to be. If yer called to be a mother, be a good un; ye don't need to be pregnant fer that. If yer called to be a wife - many will try and woo ye, that's where a lot of problems are. As ye say those men want to be coddled like wee babes. A good man, he'll find ye and will respect an' honour ye above others. An' if the Lord says 'Anne, stay by yerself', that's fine too." she wrapped her fingers around the mug and lent forward.

"Ye know, you remind me of me when I were yer age."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Height: 5'1''

Anne quietly sipped her tea. She could barely believe that Mrs. Blacke was even discussing the possibility of not getting married. She didn't think she could do that. Women who never married were often the topic of jokes and were frowned upon. They were pitied at best for not being able to attract a man. She didn't want to be one of those women. She just wanted to put it off. For as long as she could.

"Really?" Anne said, feeling rather flattered. Mrs. Blacke was such a strong and good woman. It was very encouraging to think Anne was anything like she used to be. "Did you not want to get married, Mrs. Blacke?"

325 Posts
3 Threads

Lottie smiled at Anne's question as Lottie's younger self joined them at the table.

"Oh Gawd yes. I was about yer age, livin' in the Cragg. Ye couldn't 'ave paid me a fortune ta marry. Me mother despaired, called me 'eadstrong when I kept sayin' no ta the fisher boys. Grotty, and smelly they were, with rovin' 'ands too. Neville Dixon, he was the worse.. Ta get away, I 'ad to move up north and got a job in a mill." She shook her head with a smile at the memory from long ago.

"It was my life, Anne. I made a choice back then, I did what I wanted for me. I wasn't goin' ta be forced into anythin'. I eventually made different choices that brought me back, but they were my choices too."

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne's eyes glowed with admiration while she listened to Mrs. Blacke's story. It made her feel bigger and braver, inspired. "You were very brave, Mrs. Blacke."

325 Posts
3 Threads

"Thank you, dear." Lottie answered. "I'm sure ye'll be just as brave when yer time comes ta decide things fer yerself," she added. "Now." Lottie began placing her palms on the table. "If yer stayin' the night, I'll not have ye sleepin' in yer best dress. Didn't yer want that ribbon too?"

629 Posts
22 Threads

When Anne thought of her own qualities, bravery did not feature in the list. She was so awfully shy, and she worried a lot and she usually did exactly as she was told, because she hated to disappoint or anger people. She didn't think she could be as brave and strong as Mrs. Blacke. But she resolved to study the woman and be more like her.

"Oh, I usually sleep in me chemise," Anne replied, getting up when Mrs. Blacke seemed to do so. "But aye, Mrs. Blacke. I would very much like a ribbon, if yer offerin'."

325 Posts
3 Threads

Lottie nodded "Come on, then" then trooped back upstairs and opened the wardrobe again. The older woman pushed aside out of season clothing looking for something specific.

"Let's see. There it is." Lottie produced a small old box that held her spare bobbins, spools of ribbon, scraps of fabric and other things used for infrequent mending. Commonly-used colours and patches were kept downstairs where they were easy to hand. She passed the box to Anne.

"Pick out yer favourite." Lottie instructed.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne followed Mrs. Blacke upstairs. "Really?" she asked when Mrs. Blacke told her to pick her favourite. She took the box and sat on the bed to study the different ribbons at ease. "None of these are special to ye, are they?" she asked hesitantly, looking up at the motherly woman. "I wouldn't want to rob ye of some important keepsake."

325 Posts
3 Threads

"No dear." Lottie answered. She couldn't remember buying most of these and what she might have used them for over the years.

"Ooh that's a nice one.." Lottie pointed to a spool of deep rose ribbon. Something Ruth might have worn. If she chose it, they would look more like sisters.

629 Posts
22 Threads

Anne carefully took out the rose ribbon and studied it. "It is a lovely shade. But I feel pink is not a good colour for me." She put it back and pulled out a sky blue one. "How about this one?" She held it up beside her hair.