Hello, guest!
or Register?

[CW] Tick Tock goes the Broken Clock

135 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She Her
Height: 5'1"

[Content Warning: mentions of violence]

Nisa had returned home from her club but her face was barely keeping it's usual mask of peace and calm. She had gone along with putting her stuff aside, but was so bothered, she began to pace the hallway. Finally, she went to her brother's room and knocked. It was always good to knock at the door.

"I have news, brother. Please tell me you're home." She finally relaxed enough to narrow her eyes and wrung her hands together. She wanted a rope in them wrapped around a neck. " I wish to speak to you about something and I feel I might scream if I don't talk first."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: [Here]
Height: 5'3"

Aslan had excused himself from walking Nisa home on the premise of night hours. He did neglect his sleep, and so it was an easy enough case to build.

In truth, he didn’t want to risk being in the same room as Nettie lest the lie unravel.

The door downstairs opened. Incense burned, Aslan’s arms folded behind his head as he contemplated: what next? He still had cases. Still had dodgy connections. Still had obligations that their tenuous reputations hinged upon.

Pacing. He heard pacing. That was never a good sign.

Aslan was still dressed in his nightclothes, in the middle of the day, when he opened the door. She said she must speak first, and so he took that literally. He stepped aside to let her in with a quizzical look.

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa stepped in and saw him in his night clothes. It was so late in the day, she rose her brow. "You were up late" she concluded, it was the only thing that made sense. She immediately shook her head and clasped her hands together and struggled not to pace in the small room.

"Alright, I do not know how to say this. I am sorry brother but... I heard at the meeting that the woman you feel for, Nettie... She has announced she was seeing someone . And it isn't you.' She looked at him and her eyes showed her anger. "She said it right in front of me. I am so sorry, she is cheating on you. Or she didn't even consider you worthy enough to count. That is ... beyond insulting. I wanted to kill her on the spot. But I promised you I wouldn't." Her hands were shaking she was so furious, she had to take a deep breath to calm herself.

"I would say speak to her, but I do not think she deserves you and to treat you and me like this. I knew she could use a bit more in her lessons, but to be so callous and cruel to you. That feels so unforgivable." She reached out to place a hand on his shoulder.

"I had to tell you before I did it. I am trying to be good, I swear. But.. " She took a deep breath. "There has to be exceptions."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

Nisa’s raised brow met an unfazed expression.

“I suppose I was,” he answered agreeably.

Aslan gently eased the door closed behind her. He wasn’t sure why. Maybe if he contained the chaos to one room at a time, it would seep out and strangle less people to death.

Right. Superstition. Superstition served him well as anything else.

Superstition did not evade his sister’s eternal blood lust. Worse: toward a woman he had set her focus on. His lips thinned, though he did not seem especially emotional about this apparent revelation. He glanced to the side; took a breath, and took her furious hands in his.

“I’m sorry, Nisa.”

Was she already dead? Before he could whip up an explanation, or even feel betrayed, her breath was done.

She lived, still, apparently. She was … alive, from the sounds of it. That was the more shocking part of it, and for a moment Aslan was at a loss for words. He put his arms around her.

“This is on me, Nisa,” he murmured. “I should have said something sooner. She did not betray any vow, implied or otherwise.”

He released her, summoning what he figured the most compelling case for their ‘dissolution’ was whilst his heart hammered in his ear.

“I do not regret what we had, but what we had would never have been accepted by her parents. She is from enormous wealth, and needs a husband to match it. She went with my blessing, Nisa.”

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa squeezed her brother's hands and looked at him with a serious frown. Her brow lowered and his words did not satiate any anger she had simmering under the surface. "Then she should not have wasted your time. She looked down on you, brother. We may not have money, but money can not buy class or dignity. I do not know who this Maxim is, but I bet she was merely playing with you. And I will not be calmed by your words. I .." She folded her arms as she took a deep breath to calm herself.

"You deserve far better, and no money can make a woman who plays with men's hearts any better than those work in molly houses." She felt insulted and insulted for him! "How could you take this so calmly? You should be hurt by how she used you."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

If he didn’t know how bloody her anger got, Nisa’s concern might have even charmed him. He shook his head, though didn’t interrupt.

“Oh, Nisa,” he sighed, with just a hint of a smile. “I care for her well-being, but I would not give her the credit of toying with my heart. I would never seek to dishonor her, but we used each other all the same.”

His heart raced, and Nisa had already made it clear that she didn’t want to think well of her.

“Were you hoping for something more from her, Nisa? I had no idea you were actually keen on a sister-in-law.”

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa stared at her brother, looking more perturbed than put at ease. "You wanted to protect her from me, and yet you make it sound like a fling? You shouldn't lie to yourself to ease your broken heart, brother."

She frowned and shook her head a little. Her face turned away and she eyed his room keeping her thoughts to it's tidiness to herself.

"You deserved better. And I don't care if you are married, but you seem miserable more and more. You seemed almost happy when we made the bargain. I wanted that for you. To be happy."
Private Eye

302 Posts
11 Threads

He crossed his arms, glancing to the drawn-curtained window.

“The two are not mutually exclusive,” he said, quietly. “I don’t even care for the death penalty, let alone the idea of those around me being killed over petty grievances, or – Allah forbid – misunderstandings.”

Aslan chewed his cheek when she talked about his happiness. He wanted to trust her words. He wanted to trust his own, even.

“I haven’t looked for someone to take seriously because I doubt there’s such a person who could pass both your standards and mine. If I marry, I doubt she would be the type of wife you or even Baba would have hoped for. And if I marry, unless she is significantly older … the next step is fatherhood.”

Much as he loved his sister … he couldn’t help but associate that with their mother, well, dying.

135 Posts
4 Threads

Nisa's fingers tapped against her arm. She shook her head and sat on the edge of his bed, throwing up her arms in exasperation.

"You say that, but you were unhappy when you thought I had murdered your friends back home. And I am hard to please, you deserve far better than you believe. But I am willing to make allowances if you are happy. I was even letting you pursue her when I thought she was a prostitute. Doesn't that tell you how much I'm willing to forgive for your sake? For your happiness? If I hate her, I would avoid her to the best of my ability, or try to correct her within reason that you allowed. I can't even remember the last time you genuinely smiled." She said as she folded her arms once more.

"Fatherhood isn't necessarily the next step. Plenty of women have ways of avoiding it, and if you didn't want children there is no one around to push it upon you. If you want to be a father, then be a father. But do not think you have to do things in a certain way. I am proud of you brother, when you do not scamper around in the shadows like a mouse because you are afraid of me. You can be rather bold and daring, and I prefer you that way."