Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Take On Me [Market, Shops and Spas]

13 Posts
1 Thread

Pronouns: He/him
Height: 6

The man hid his disappointment as he clicked his tongue and gently tugged the reign. The horse slowed to a gentle trot. "Suit yourself, sir." Secretly he was very pleased at the promise of more money.

"Well then, how long have you been in Whitby? Or is this just temporary?" He mused as now the man would put up with his chatting. Certainly, the man didn't have to speak but he'd still ask questions and chatter. The only other person he had in the city to talk to was Conner.
Banned

14 Posts
0 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Height: 5'3"
Alias: tomato

It seemed that in addition to extra coin, the price for a slower ride was more conversation.  Ah, fine then.  Kimeya was just happy he’d be arriving home alive, if with a sore throat.

“A few years now, with my family.  Don’t see myself leaving anytime soon.  The work is good, and Whitby is nice.”  Nicer than Dieppe, not that Dieppe was hard to beat.  But maybe Kimeya was just too used to his hometown to really appreciate it.  “And you?”

13 Posts
1 Thread

As they moved along at a far more bearable pace, he nodded to show he was listening. "Ah. I moved out of Kenmare ten years ago. Settled here six. I don't know about nice but it has its nicer sides."

He certainly believed that this man didn't see the same crowds he did. Then again how many people hung around the drunker parts of the city at night.

"What do you do for work?" That, he had to admit, he was curious about.
Banned

14 Posts
0 Threads

Elliot was around just a bit longer than him, then.  And still this was his first time meeting the man, but that wasn't so surprising.  Kimeya spent his time down by the docks while Elliot's work was on the streets of Whitby.  He did not envy the man.

"I'm a fisher man."  He wasn't used to explaining such to people.  Most people he knew, he knew from work.  "So I'm on a boat most days.  I still prefer it to these cabs."

It was an attempt at a joke, made obvious by an awkward smile that soon disappeared.  Kimeya felt ridiculous.

13 Posts
1 Thread

Elliot laughed. "Maybe you just need practice. Gain your cab legs! Or cab rump." He grinned as he seemed quite happy to keep himself humored if no one else.

"But seriously.. Fishing huh? I've never gotten used to the water myself. It's dangerous work isn't it? Always a fear of freak waves, and drowning, and sharks, and other things." He knew a tiny bit about fishing but not a lot. Just that it seemed every now and again he'd hear about a fisher man who didn't come home. "I wish you luck on the water, my friend."
Banned

14 Posts
0 Threads

Kimeya felt quite content with the extend of his legs expertise being the sea, and dutifully ignored the comment about his rump on top of that.  As long as Elliot thought himself amusing, he supposed.

The talk of how dangerous his work was did not seem to phase the man.  He performed those actions and more every day, of course simple discussions about it lacked any reaction.

"You only drown if you don't know how to swim," he said.  "I know how to swim.  Waves and sharks are unpredictable, yes, but there are ways to deal with them.  I've been lucky thus far."  He finished with a shrug, leaning back a little more comfortably in his seat now that they were moving at a more reasonable pace.

"Is cab driving very dangerous?  I can't imagine it is, but I wouldn't know."

13 Posts
1 Thread

Elliot rose his brow looking surprised. "Really? Back home an experienced fisherman fell from his boat during a storm and was swept away, people said. I suppose he may have managed to swim to England and never told anyone." He mused. Saying there were ways but it was also luck made him squint as he kept riding forward towards this man's home.

He seemed in thought. "It can be very dangerous. I have a very modern carriage, so mine is safer than most! But there's always the small chance of crashing, especially from others hitting us. It's definitely dangerous to others who might run in our path. But it's just as dangerous for me when I take Conner on and off the reins. Horses can definitely be dangerous even among their loved ones. They are easily startled creatures and very powerful."
Banned

14 Posts
0 Threads

Kimeya shrugged again at Elliot's story.  He's heard many like it, even seen it happening a time or two, but it hadn't happened to him yet, so he wasn't worried.  He was always careful on the ship, and he wasn't a fool.

The mention of how dangerous his horse - Conner - was made another seed of nervousness form in Kimeya's stomach.  He knew society had relied on horses for years upon years, and he'd been around them himself even.  But creatures so easily startled, not to mention one owned by such an unpredictable man, just seemed like the recipe for disaster.

"Has that ever happened to you?  Someone running in front of your horse, or a crash?"

13 Posts
1 Thread

Elliot wanted to pick up the pace, but he was keeping it at a slow, gentle one for the customer and he reminded himself of the money. It was still quiet out so he wasn't missing a lot of possible rides, but it would have been nice to talk to a more cheerful gentleman.

"Not really. I mean.. people, animals, other carriages.. they've all ran in front of me so it's been mostly luck that we haven't hit them. And I've seen crashes. There was a really nasty one some years back, driver fell off someone and got under his own wheels. I'm behind the cab so no worries there." He grinned a little. "So much safer back here, actually."
Banned

14 Posts
0 Threads

Why had Kimeya asked this man about crashes, he wondered as he received his answer.  At least Elliot hadn't experienced one himself, that let Kimeya put more faith in him.  Again, he would much rather be thrown into the ocean than caught between cobblestone streets and the wheel of a horse drawn carriage.

"I feel much safer back here," he said, voice indifferent.  They were nearing Kimeya's apartment.  He retrieved his wallet from his back pocket.  "You're Elliot, yes?  I'll recommend you to others.  I don't ride cabs often, but this -" wasn't terrible "- was nice."