or Register?

[CW] Just Good Friends
Barrister

696 Posts
20 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: [Here]
Height: 5'6"

He saw the flicker of hurt, washed away by surprise. Oh, God. Was he sitting across from another burnt lover of Simon’s?

Brother. He could not say whether that was better or worse. Zechariah pursed his lips, then took a draw of his champagne. Opened his mouth, then filled it with more champagne instead of pouring out words.

“I thought I knew him, and I was wrong.”

He set the champagne glass down, harder than he intended. Then, he interlaced his fingers under his chin as he chose his words carefully.

“I do not fault my friends for using me, Elijah, so long as the intent is clear. I am useful. Most of us are, and I think it would be a damned waste to let our gifts languish out of fear of crossing some unstated line.”

His gaze slid to the champagne, then back to Elijah.

“I turn to you at the station because I trust you. I may not have any crimes against children to brush under the rug,” he added with an arched brow, “but neither do I foster relationships with the other constables that I might lighten the burden of what I ask of you.”

His gaze softened some, at that … before his brow set in lines once more.

“But even I balk at the way the Wards have used me. I can only imagine how they treat someone else who is … like family, to them. I saw the bruises.”
Constable

3,101 Posts
22 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah rose his brow as confusion seeped in. So much was coming out that night, it felt like their conversation would have been more proper in the privacy at his home and yet perhaps it was safer here.

"Were you.. the one he was going to York to live with?" He knew it was someone, and a man. He was learning there were definitely more men like him in Whitby than he could have imagined, but still the numbers had to be quite limited. And the way he spoke of Simon...

But then he kept speaking of Ben and the Wards. His eyes went down. He always wondered if he'd failed by not taking Ben in. He'd hurt Simon, and his other children. He'd hurt Noah. Who knows who else suffered at his hands? But Noah hadn't said his name in worry at retaliation. The children begged him because they didn't want to lose their father. Should he have ignored all that and still done it? The fact this man was the one who helped raise him when his grandparents struggled to. He knew he had a good heart but his temper and his actions.. He gripped his napkin and frowned.

"It's a complicated world. And I wish I knew easy answers. I.. always wish to fix things. And make things better. Believe me."
Barrister

696 Posts
20 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: [Here]
Height: 5'6"

“Oh, God,” Zechariah sighed, putting his head in his hands. “I had bought fish-themed silverware and everything.”

Zechariah raised his gaze back to Elijah, straightening his posture once more. He took another sip of his drink, though the sip seemed rather long with rather less liquid left for a ‘sip’.

“It … falls to us, Elijah. It falls to us to repair the world.”

He finished off his glass and settled back into his seat.

“Or at least leave the world with less cracks than we came into it with.”
Constable

3,101 Posts
22 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah stared at him and let out a shirt, very quickly stifled laugh. He immediately covered his face. "I'm sorry! You mentioned the utensils. It was just..such a beautifully sweet mental image. You really loved him so much. Makes me falling for a priest seem pretty silly in comparison." He sipped his wine and realized maybe he shouldn't have said that, but it was such a small thing. Zach knew he'd liked someone and he never care about the past.

He looked over at this man he shared a secret that never could hurt anyone else but had to be kept silent about. "If you know how, I would love to learn. I'm tired of seeing things fall apart around me. I have always wanted to make things better for everyone. I do believe you may have the heart and know how to lead the way." He held up his glass then drank from it.